Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 06:45:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question  (Read 2986 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2003, 01:50:27 PM »

It is very easy for us to see the great foreign classics of such directors as Kurosawa, Fellini, Truffaut, and De Sica in their respective languages.  So why aren't we able to have access to Leone's original versions of his films in Italian? Talk about being cheated!

KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 12:09:45 PM »

It is very easy for us to see the great foreign classics of such directors as Kurosawa, Fellini, Truffaut, and De Sica in their respective languages.  So why aren't we able to have access to Leone's original versions of his films in Italian? Talk about being cheated!
rblondie,    maybe it's the leone estate wanting more money to release valuable info for us guys to consume in mass quantities......no ?......the grassy knoll ?  Huh
kerm

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 01:45:18 PM »

Maybe Leone intended the films to ben in English...  After all, he did name himself 'Bob Robertson' for A Fistful of Dollars.  Plus can you imagine Clint talking in Italian?  Plus the films are set in the 'wild west', so I think the films should be in English...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 03:03:07 PM »

The point is that we the fans never saw the original cuts of his films because the lousy American distributors shortened them for this reason or for that thinking they could make "a few dollars more!" I mean look at Duck, You Sucker! (1971) probably Leone's most underrated film. It took 30 years for us to see it at the reasonable length of 2:33 and even that is not complete. For now, the only way to see this great director's complete unaltered works of art is to fly to Italy and purchase them there.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 09:23:24 AM »

Ok, that's a different thing, I get your point...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 09:42:30 AM »

It is also a travesty that the late Sam Peckinpah, whom Leone had great respect for, and vice-versa, had many of his works of art damaged by the studio heads. Major Dundee (1964) was irreparably cut by 40 minutes which contained the heart of the story and the charcater developments. The Wild Bunch (1969) was cut by 10 minutes after it's premiere (now restored). Straw Dogs (1971) was shortened 5 minutes for American release (now restored). And worst of all Pat Garret and Billy the Kid (1973) was decimated by MGM.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 06:55:31 AM »

rblondie you've mentioned  strawdogs.  that movie nearly drove me crazy.  the first time  i saw it i felt as though sam himself had bought a ticket  and was sitting directly behind me with a broomhandle poking the back of my seat . very uncomfrantable.

i felt total frustration but couldn't budge. finally. FINALLY hoffman gets  get angry, takes action. and i found myself chanting yes, yes, inside. get them good ! boil some more water. classic sam. non compare.

sorry to veer off leone but on the other hand....... who died and left these guys in charge of cutting up these films.  opps ! must have left some water boiling must cut it off. back later.
kerm

« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 07:13:47 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM