Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:28:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Sergio Leone: The Way I See Things"/OUATITW at San Jose
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sergio Leone: The Way I See Things"/OUATITW at San Jose  (Read 5876 times)
scram113
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:08:46 AM »

You know, I've been reading and posting on this board for literally years, and have re-registered probably a dozen times cause I don't post for a few months and then forget my username or email or something.  Anyway.  I caught Giulio Reale's new documentary "Sergio Leone: The Way I See Things" at the Cinequest film festival in San Jose tonight, and if you have a chance to check it out I highly recommend it.  (I'd have posted a heads-up about it if I hadn't only found out about it myself 2 days ago.)  The film was Reale's thesis at the University of Rome, and he said his primary motivation was the fact that U of R doesn't include Leone in its cinema curriculum--at all, and it was almost a "personal vendetta" (his words) against the school to show Leone's artistry, as U of R (and Italian cimena in general, he says) is pretentious to the point of snubbing anything with any popular success.  The film (it's short, about an hour) is composed of very personal interviews with people like Tonino Delli Colli, Luciano Vincenzoni (sorry if I'm screwing up the spelling, I'm listing these names from memory), Claudia Cardinale, and the always ineffable (take that as you will) Christopher Frayling, all of whom give extremely intimate insights into Leone and his work.  The screening of the documentary was followed by "Once Upon a Time in the West", and watching it in the theater, I was amazed by how many of these festival-going "film lovers" had NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE.  (Before the documentary, in fact, I was amused to hear the woman in the row behind me ask her husband, "So what nationality was, ah, Sergio Leono [sic]?"  To which he replied, "Well, Italian, probably.")

I'm not a regular festival-goer so I don't know where else to catch this film, and I haven't read this board in a while, so I'm sorry if someone has brought it up before me.  Check it out if it floats by, though--you can feel the young filmmaker's passion for Leone as you watch it, and it's amazing and heartbreaking to watch, for example, Tonino Valerii's eyes well up as he recounts the breakdown of his relationship with Leone--"Friends can be forgiven, I suppose," he says, choking back tears.

scram113
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:18:07 AM »

Oh, and, of course, Eli Wallach, who tells a hilarious story behind Tuco wearing his gun around his neck.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:42:49 AM »

Thanks for the heads up,  maybe it will get picked up or realeased by someone.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:23:35 PM »

With the interest in Leone so high I'm sure someone is bound to pick this up. I would certainly love to see it.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »

Review in this weeks Variety wasn't overly positive. Still would like to see it though.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »

Review in this weeks Variety wasn't overly positive. Still would like to see it though.

if it isnt to much trouble could you post the review?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »

Certainly  Smiley Here it is...

Sergio Leone: The Way I See Things
Sergio Leone: Il mio modo di vedere le cose
(Documentary -- Italy)

A Guilo Reale production. Produced, directed by Reale.

With: Eugenio Alabisio, Nino Baragli, Claudia Cardinale, Damiano Damiani, Robert Forges Davanzati, Ablerto De Martino, Piero De Bernardi, Tonino Delli Colli, Franco Di Giacomo, Christopher Frayling, Valerio Garzia, Vittoriao Giacci, Franco Giraldi, Carla Leone, Gianni Maddaleni, Luigi Magni, Claudio Mancini, Giuliano Montaldo, Luca Morsella, Ennio Morricone, Gianfranco Pannone, Jose Maria Rodriguez, Giuseppe Russolini, Giancarlo Santi, Antonio Scaramuzza, Carlo Tafani, Tonino Valerii, Carlo Verdone, Lucino Vincenzoni, Eli Wallach.

(M)ore homage than biography or critical inquiry, Guilo Reale's docudocu "Sergio Leone: The Way I See Things" is an OK if superficial study of the late Italian director who launched Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood and Spaghetti Westerns. Array of clips and interviews with former associates will please fans. Arts-oriented nets reprep likeliest exposure; short feature will make a good extra for future Leone DVD re-releases.
Helmer Reale skips past Leone's long industry apprenticeship and early directorial work on sword and sandal flicks, jumping to breakthrough "A Fistful of Dollars" (1964), a film evidently made just to milk extra mileage from sets built for another, higher-budget Euro Western. Via surviving collaborators and Leone's brief archival comments, docu tracks increasingly large-scale subsequent efforts, ending in the much-delayed "Once Upon a Time in America." Leone's command of striking widescreen imagery is conveyed, but the assumption that his films are all masterpieces ignores the opinion in some quarters that Leone was a visual stylist with scant interest in or knack for plot, character, acting, etc. Fondly nostalgic Claudia Cardinale, less-so Eli Wallach, and long-suffering producer Claudio Mancini offer some of the more penetrating anecdotes and insights.

Camera (color, DV), Marco Manqiarotti, Ferran Paredes, Alessandro Bosco, Stefanie Roth; editor, Calin Hodis; music, Antonino Stella. Reviewed at Cinequest, San Jose, Calif., March 8, 2006. English, Italian dialogue. Running time: 62 MIN.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:50:44 PM »

Certainly  Smiley Here it is...

same old same old stuff then eh?
I will watch it anyway if I can get my hands on it.

thanks for the review. Smiley

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »

Trailer on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orpxAkyYKE4

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »

Has the entire documentary been posted anywhere online?

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »

Has the entire documentary been posted anywhere online?
I have been looking for this documentary for years now here in Italy, but it has not been released (yet) on DVD, neither has it been shown on italian TV.
So I guess it will be pretty difficult to find it anywhere in the world for the time being. I'll keep my eyes open and as soon as I can find it, I'll try to upload  it on YouTube.

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 02:17:10 AM »

A copy of this documentary has recently been uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLa5Jz33pM

Afro

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:22 AM »