Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:50:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeremiah Johnson (1972)  (Read 13028 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »

You can add funnel cakes, elephant ears, and pettole to those, they are very similar in taste just different shapes and different toppings ie. granulated sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon & sugar, frosting etc.

4) funnel cakes: http://mymouthful.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funnel_cake.jpg

5) elephant ears: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/1332876557_fb8752125a.jpg

6) pettole: http://www.mammamya.com/Recipe%20Pages/pettole.htm

My grandmother used to make something similar just eggs, flour, milk, and water, with a pinch of salt & a pinch of sugar (no yeast) mix together in a frying pan and spoon into hot olive oil so the form small pancakes, when they get brown take them out and drain them on a piece of paper towel then just sprinkle both sides with sugar and eat. She called them "palleti" but she was Northern Italian.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:46:32 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »

... is all very starchy.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

You can add funnel cakes, elephant ears, and pettole to those, they are very similar in taste just different shapes and different toppings ie. granulated sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon & sugar, frosting etc.

4) funnel cakes: http://mymouthful.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funnel_cake.jpg

5) elephant ears: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/1332876557_fb8752125a.jpg

6) pettole: http://www.mammamya.com/Recipe%20Pages/pettole.htm

My grandmother used to make something similar just eggs, flour, milk, and water, with a pinch of salt & a pinch of sugar (no yeast) mix together in a frying pan and spoon into hot olive oil so the form small pancakes, when they get brown take them out and drain them on a piece of paper towel then just sprinkle both sides with sugar and eat. She called them "palleti" but she was Northern Italian.

Nah, I understand that. Frybread is the umbrella term covering all those variations of the same food. Dough fried in a pan full of hot oil. But I'm interested in finding out what was the squaw in the movie doing, was it based on actual facts or made up for the movie? I thought you might know, CJ.

Now, I found in various sources Indians from both America's really had then (and have now) in their traditions something similar, but I just can't find the exact recipe (the ingredients and the way it's made). They vary from source to source. I'm thinking ''frybread'' isn't the best term because the Indians didn't really use pans, yeast and oil, at least not the way the white man does, and certainly not in inhospitable regions like the desert shown in the movie. Or am I wrong?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

I'll tell you where it came from, its not Native American its European, the missionaries brought it to the natives from Europe from first contact, the natives had no tradition of bead, yeast, or oil.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »

That makes sense CJ, the squaw Jeremiah Johnson took for wife came from a tribe raided by missionaries, but maybe we've been on the wrong tracks. We took the wrong turn with the ''frybread'' definition I think, because as said they didn't use yeast or oil, it is some kind of ''flatbread'' more probable they were making.

Check out the flatbreads part in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca

It is probable the North American Indians also knew how to make simple bread like the Indios tribes from South America, but again, I can't find proof for that. Perhaps she was making was some sort of experimental bread (meaning the screenwriters screwed up) ?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:29:40 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »

Like CJ, I saw this in a cinema. Saw it again on tv in the '70's or about and hadn't until today.  I think this must be seen in a cinema, then it might get 9\10 or even more. As it is I give it what everybody else gave it, 8\10.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »

I was just thinking how Sam Peckinpah would have done a fantastic job with this. He was attached to it at one point.

Spikeopath
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »

Adding my review.

The Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the World.

Jeremiah Johnson is directed by Sydney Pollack and is inspired by two books, Raymond Thorp and Robert Bunker's Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson and Vardis Fisher's Mountain Man. Script was written by John Millius and Edward Anhalt and cinematography is by Duke Callaghan. It stars Robert Redford, Will Geer, Stefan Gierasch, Delle Bolton and Josh Albee.

Hardened after the war with Mexico, and fed up with everyday life, American Jeremiah Johnson (Redford) leaves civilisation behind to live life as a mountain man. He intends to be self-sufficient as a trapper, but he finds that mother nature can be tough, and out here in the mountain wilderness he is not alone. There are others here, and Jeremiah must face many challenges if he is to truly survive.

Filmed entirely on location in the vast wilderness beauty of Utah, Jeremiah Johnson is light on plot but all the better for it. Film basically constitutes Redford's mountain man learning to survive up in them thar mountains, and, earning the right to do so. A number of issues will arise to test his metal, giving him a number of hardships and adventures to define his transformation from average Joe to a fully fledged mythical man of the Earth. Redford is wonderfully at ease in the title role, and very quickly he gets the audience on side to share in his journey. But ultimately it's the landscapes that you take away from this movie. Not only gorgeous, but also the critical character that frames Johnson during his isolation and battle for survival. 8/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 02:32:23 PM »

Watching it again now on TCM on demand, great visuals.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM