Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:02:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The most disappointing Spaghetti Western
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most disappointing Spaghetti Western  (Read 3809 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:37:24 PM »

I was curious if anyone had ever heard about a particular spaghetti oater that piqued there interest but upon seeing it, was let down by it. For me two that come to mind are FIVE MAN ARMY-another italian MAGNIFICENT SEVEN/THE PROFESSIONALS clone that has a promising plot but no payoff at the end. You expect the five men to take on the entire army at the end and it never happens. Peter Graves is really good in this along with Bud Spencer(using his real voice) and Tetsuro Tamba, a major star in Japanese Samurai-Action films. Don Taylor is credited as the sole director although the box and literary sources say Dario Argento also co-directed. Another disappointment IMO is DJANGO THE BASTARD(The Strangers Gundown). Obviously HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER owes alot to this film, somewhat of a horror western. Coming from Sergio Garrone, the director of several nasty nazi movies I expected this to have a grittier tone, unless I have a cut version. In this film Django fights for the South but I believe in the original DJANGO he was a Union soldier. I also have A STRANGER IN TOWN and THE STRANGER RETURNS with Anthony Steffen but haven't watched them yet.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:36:30 AM »

Perhaps the title of Five Man Army is misleading because this is really a  heist film rather than a war film and its fitting that the whole (covert) operation is Peter Grave's(Mr Mission Impossible himself) brainchild.I always enjoy this movie,especially Morricones brilliant main theme.
I very nearly avoided buying Django the Bastard after reading Shobarys very negative review so i was pleasantly surprised how good a sw this is(gritty? personally,i think so) and i like the night time horror-like look of this film together with the creepy music-also lots of atmosphere and suspense!I think any similarity with High Plains Drifter has been over emphasised here with the only real thing in common being the ending in HPD.Yes the English version gives the impression of the stranger being a reincarnation of the murdered Marshall Jim Duncan but i've read somewhere that the Italian version makes it clearer that the stranger was in fact Duncans brother.
Like nearly all the other sw with Django in the title(Viva Django's a prequel i understand) DJB can't really be compared with the Corbucci original because cynically its trading on the name.
I haven't yet seen the Stranger movies but i should think you will be disappointed if they're just low budget poor FOD/FAFDM clones which is what i've been led to believe.

DeZuniga
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 09:13:52 AM »

I was really underwhelmed by THE GREAT SILENCE. It had some very interesting elements but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would.

CUTTHROATS NINE is another movie that I expected more from. It had a terrific premise but it just didn't have the quality to back it up.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »

For me it was Sabata. I think Van Cleef was the only thing I liked from this film.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 04:57:56 PM »

Tie between:

Sartana - Your Angle of Death  Tongue
Bad Man's River  Roll Eyes
Captian Apache  Huh
Kill & Pray  Cry

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 02:57:24 AM »

Cemetary without crosses.Although quite engaging,this film is grim and almost totally humourless,the main saving grace being the catchy theme tune.I never really get tempted to play this one often!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »

Cemetary without crosses.Although quite engaging,this film is grim and almost totally humourless,the main saving grace being the catchy theme tune.I never really get tempted to play this one often!

That is disappointing to  hear from you Banjo, cemetary is my all time favorite spaghetti western so far. It is so leone-esq, in style. It is a wonderful film indeed. A shame it is not mentioned more on here.

as for the most disappointing i have ever watched...the prize will have to go to Day of Anger. Though A fine film it is heavily flawed. This spaghetti gets way to much praise. When I read what shobary had to say about it I thought I was in for a rip-roaring good time. And I did get that...to a certain extent. The film is awesome up until lee van cleef burns the saloon along with the owner(or half the owner) from then on it becomes slow and draggy. And scott's tranformation from "talby admirer" to "talby hater" was done way to quickly. I wished for a sense of him being not sure of talby from at least the start of the last hour. Instead it happens within a few seconds. The scene is literally like this...

scott: Talby, dont kill herb or I'll have to kill you. You understand?

Talby: Of course I do............hey Herb! Come here, I wanna trade math equations with ya....

BAM!!!!!!!!

scott: I warned ya talby! now yez gonna get it!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

not that I regret owning the film. I like it. It is just not gonna ever make it to my top ten list of spaghettis(and it is questionable as top twenty).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 06:03:16 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:59:50 AM »

The hero in Cemetary Without Crosses just doens't have any charisma,still its not a bad film!
Yeau i found Day of Anger as flat as a pancake after reading Shobarys raving 5 star review-before he started using percentages.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:25:06 AM »

A very Surreal Western, there are no heroes in CWC, a very bleak downer tale, sort of begins where The Great Silence ends emotional wise and goes down from there, so its unique in those ways, plus the Spanish guitar score is a good accompanyment to it all. You have to be in the right mood for this.

Actually its sort of an antidote to all the comedy SW's, if you find yourself tired of the slapstick humor pop this baby in.  Cool

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:37:18 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 07:29:50 AM »

I liked TGS very much (it's my fave non-Leone Italian western) so I think I'll have to give this a go, thanks for the recomendation Joe  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 03:44:43 AM »

God Forgives...I Don't.
I found this really disappointing having watched the excellent sequel Ace High first.Its apparently the biggest grossing sw in Italy in( i think )1968 but its just too damn slow,long,tedious and unfunny for a Bud & Terence movie.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM