Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:27:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Navajo Joe (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Navajo Joe (1966)  (Read 36772 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 02:33:32 PM »

The widescreen transfer that is out there is fantastic... i can say that much... I have some japanese disc or copy and it's just as great in quality as any other 60's film I've seen... as far as I can tell.

just to add, it was the same pleasant surprise I experienced with companeros and django, I expected a campy joke of a spaghetti western and got a completely serious movie with an odd premise.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 03:45:22 PM »

Humm, bah, grr...
Of course, I'm at odds with almost anybody else in this forum as to tastes. This is why I like to read it and write on it. Grandpa's putting Keoma before "both" Gił la testa and FFDM just doesn't stand to reason (at least mine). But I can easily see why he did this. So I know that I won't like Navajo Joe (I plan to see it soon, after having read this thread) but also know that, as with Keoma, it won't be a run of the mill work: a sufficient reason to watch it.
 Also, I know only Morricone's main title and don't like it at all. Still, if my SW musical advisor says Morricone's score must be heard, I will (got me the cd).

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 07:31:20 PM »

first off all I see where you are coming from, It's hard to defend Navajo Joe and Keoma ahead of those two leone greats... but my best argument is that my spaghetti western rankings don't really justify how much I do love them... I mean giu la testa, although at number 5 on my spaghetti list, I rank much higher than most, even around here, as far as my all-genre list... I mean it's in my 10-15... so even though those two films are ahead of it I still rank it higher than many people... FFDM is simply sort of a guilty non-pleasure of mine, I hate not loving it as much as everyone else, and I still rank it around 30 or 40 of all films, but I just don't think it deserves to be ranked much higher than it is, there are plenty of spaghettis I like more... in fact #9 is pretty generous on my part... a few months ago it would have been closer to 15... it definitely doesn't compare to leone's other 5 films in my opinion... I will admit the showdown is one of the best out there... the other hour and a half just don't cut it for me to rank it ahead of the 8 spaghetti's ahead of it... GBU seems shorter and goes by quicker than FFDM, it just drags a little for me.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »

Well, of course anything goes when you speak of genre movies. Every list is legitimate. Still, what I find amazing in your list is your number one.  Number 2,3 and 4 do rhyme together: but what has got OUTIW to do with them? Also, that you find this moving faster than FFDM is astonishing: UOTW is the slowest moving of Leone's westerns.     

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 02:42:01 AM »

Humm, bah, grr...
Of course, I'm at odds with almost anybody else in this forum as to tastes. This is why I like to read it and write on it. Grandpa's putting Keoma before "both" Gił la testa and FFDM just doesn't stand to reason (at least mine). But I can easily see why he did this. So I know that I won't like Navajo Joe (I plan to see it soon, after having read this thread) but also know that, as with Keoma, it won't be a run of the mill work: a sufficient reason to watch it.
 Also, I know only Morricone's main title and don't like it at all. Still, if my SW musical advisor says Morricone's score must be heard, I will (got me the cd).
Who's your SW musical advisor Titoli?
I must admit i have based a fair few of my SW purchases on the presence of a Morricone soundtrack apart from the very early ones,and i personally feel that without Morricone,Leones westerns may not have got past FOD and i rank Morricone equally important to the SW genre as Leone.Only yesterday i purchased Petroni's And For A Roof A Skyful Of Stars because of Morricones soundtrack-gleaned from Marco's thumbs up review !!

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 06:02:40 AM »

Navajo Joe .........I'd rate it a "must see", too.......although I wouldn't place it in my top 10 SW. Somewhere in my top 20's more like it.

It's certainly one of the least 'cartoonish' SW...the themes touched on in the movie are well chosen & well done....the score is soooooooo good............Reynolds is good in the part (he's half Cherokee Indian, by the way)........Joe is not your run of the mill SW character--> it's refreshing to have a hero (as opposed to hero/anti-hero) for a change...he's an 'assassin', & a good one...wiping out 40+ guys is no small feat.

The ending was handled well..& slightly ambiguously...there is room for speculation as to Joe's ultimate fate in the movie....although w/ a little thought...it's pretty clear...& adds to the film's quality & richness.
Good one.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 06:04:37 AM »

I've seen the trailer of the For A Few Previews More disc and I thought it looked quite good. I am looking at checking it out.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 07:08:09 AM »

This really is a pro-Navajo Joe revolution going on here.I'm sure on the last major thread covering this movie there were more against than for!!!
Can we do the same for Django?
Leone_Admirer i've heard that those trailer DVDs are very bad for your health and your wallet!!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 08:09:09 AM »

yes they are... unfortunatly I alot of the films on the second trailer disc (For a Few Previews More) have not been released. There are quite a few films in the release. I reviewed my faves in my review thread.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 08:24:49 AM »

Would there be anything tempting on the trailer disc that a few of us would be unaware of?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 08:46:33 AM »

Here's my review from the A SW Virgins Guide To SW or How I learned Not To Worry And Love The Dubs  thread found here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2405.0

It contains a list of the trailers I would like to check out more of.

36 Films in an Hour and a Half?

Well thanks to Wild East and their For A Few Previews More disc I was able to see 36 spaghetti's, all be it very short versions of them. Last night I had a very enjoyable time. By the time the disc stopped and reverted back to the main menu my ears were ringing with the sound of gunshots and ricochets, as well as humming some damn addictive music.
      The trailers stem from 1961 with the Savage Guns and ended in 1982 with Insurgent Mexico. Now it was fortuitous that the first trailer of the film set, Savage Guns immedialty arrested my attention. There were quite a few films that I wanted to see in full, often mainly for curiosity's sake. Of the first 12 I really wanted to check out Savage Guns, Gunfighters of Casa Grande, Gunmen of the Rio Grande, The Texican, (despite the stupid name) The Hellbenders, The Hills Run Red, and Navajo Joe (please give me your opinions on each, the trailers brainwashed me into liking these films so if their not up to scratch and not wasting a dollar on then please let me know) However I had the most vile and horrific shock when the title For a Few Dollars Less zoomed on to the screen. At the end of its short running time I was so upset I wanted to cry. This looked like a very half arsed spoof of a good film from one of my favourite directors. It really looked like that they had watched the film once, set up a sight gag (such as the cannon firing onto the horse) and despite it looking odd said "meh close enough, now lets be even more vindictive and take the mickey out of another segment of what is a much better film then ours" I could be wrong but...
        Another great joy was to see how many famous US actors were in this collection. Also a surprise appearance from one of my favourite noir characters Dan Duryea from The Hills Run Red. Joseph Cotton, a luminary from the great Orson Welles, was pleasing in the amount of Westerns he starred in. Also great to see was John Huston, and most funny of all William Shatner in Rio Hondo as a "White Commanche". I suppose it was a good thing to have the star trek actor in this film as obbsessive trek fans hopefully would have checked out this wierd film (and get to love spaghetti's). The trailer in this was in very poor shape but I'm sure I heard dialogue go "Theres... Something on the wagon... some...thing... on the wagon" (apologies for such a poor Twilight Zone referance there). The most disturbing appearance though goes to an aged Ursulla Andress' left breast looking rather wrinked in Insurgent Mexico "shudder" luckily she didn't destory all my dreams from when I first saw her in Dr No
      There were other films that I definatly wanted to check out. These included A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die, The Devil Was An Angel, Kill The Wickeds, (Which seemed like a beefed up version of the John Wayne film North to Alaska) Shotgun, 100 Rifles, (I think this might be more for curiosity's sake) A Name That Cried Revenge, The Deserter, (I think mainly for the star power) and A Man Called Noon Looking at my choices I come to the conclusion that I seemed to be attracted to films either with journeys in them or deals with the idea of revenge or have bounty hunters in them. Looking at the spaghetti's I have I think this definalty the case and I thin this is somewhat true of my Hollywood westerns also.
      In the collection it was nice to see the Trailers for Once Upon A Time In The West and Duck You Sucker (making me wish even harder for the speedy release of the R1 DYS). However I think it is very apparent when looking at this collection the quality of the films take a major nose dive once they enter the 70's. The psychadelic and 'groovy' trailers seem to emphasie that the SW's were lost in the way they went forward. Bad Mans River (1971 starring Lee Van Cleef) seemed a particually good example of this with its forced humour just feeling, well, forced.
      This introduction to the Spaghetti Western was a very enjoyable experience, it exposed me to some great films to chase up on (and bug the posters here about) as well as giving me some great music tracks and excellent stunt sequences. The Wild East DVD is certainly good for introducing someone to the Spaghetti genre and depsite the quality being very bad at some points, if the film is a great spaghetti it shines through the print damage. It did make me wish I had bought A Fistful Of Trailers. Anyway it has set me up for tonights viewing experince, Johnny Yuma so please comment on what I've written, advise me on the films I liked and disliked and join me tomorrow for another trip into the Wild Spaghetti West.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2005, 08:58:30 AM »

It just doesn't do it for me guys-gals, the visuals are off for me (my pet peeve), Joe looks like he's wearing what looks like a leather tuxedo, like he's a band leader or a waiter he's just missing the jacket and bowtie, come on if you are trying to depict a Navajo, at least look like a traditional Navajo, more the white leggings the breechclout the white overshirt, belly sash, etc. And then the village where SPOLIERS his wife gets scalped SPOILERS looks like from the plains tribes its got tipis, should be hogans.

Its got great SW twists for sure, But its my thing, and for some reason the set and setting being off pulls me out of the magic of the film watching experience, it works for me how the score for Keoma works on some of the members.

I say rent it if you can first

Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 09:12:51 AM »

It looks as though the tide maybe turning folks perhaps we shudda locked the topic while we had the chance,hehe!
Thanks for the reprint of your review Leone_Admirer-i must've overlooked this!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 09:14:10 AM »

Anytime banjo.  Smiley

Tim
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »

Who knows, is this board leaning toward a different Sergio now?  There was a poll a couple days back about which Sergio you preferred but it seems like we've got a lot of closet-Corbucci fans lurking around, myself included.

Navajo Joe is my second favorite Corbucci western after Great Silence.  I also really enjoyed The Mercenary, and have Companeros on my Christmas list.

With that said, I'll stick with Leone, although the other Sergio had some really good westerns himself.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM