Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:33:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Navajo Joe (1966)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Navajo Joe (1966)  (Read 37514 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 09:49:38 PM »

yeah, despite my love of every corbucci film I've seen to date I still prefer leone and even peckinpah as western directors... sollima and corbucci are probably a push for second behind leone as my favorite italian directors... that would make 3 sergios... but who knows, if the mercenary and hellbenders are as good as they sound corbucci's big 6 could compete with leone's in my eyes... but with only 4 under my belt it's too soon to tell.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 09:53:08 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 03:32:41 AM »

Who knows, is this board leaning toward a different Sergio now?  There was a poll a couple days back about which Sergio you preferred but it seems like we've got a lot of closet-Corbucci fans lurking around, myself included.

Navajo Joe is my second favorite Corbucci western after Great Silence.  I also really enjoyed The Mercenary, and have Companeros on my Christmas list.

With that said, I'll stick with Leone, although the other Sergio had some really good westerns himself.
Yes they do say its better to announce secret additions to the world than suffer silently within.C'mon all you secret Django,Nav Joe,Silence admirers,admit it
YOU LOVE CORBUCCI !!!!!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 04:38:09 AM »

oh oh, hes started again  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 06:30:38 AM »

You're right Leone Admirer,i'll shut up!!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 08:03:52 AM »

lol, no no carry on, its an interesting argument.  Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2005, 08:31:20 AM »

No i fear i will only be repeating myself.Am i right in thinking that you don't have Navajo Joe and if not have you been enticed?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »

I don't have it but I enjoyed the trailer on my Wild East Trailer DVD and I am enticed by it.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »

Isn't that funny my DVDr copy of Navajo Joe and my Wild East Fistful Of Trailers arn't working this evening... just getting unable to read disc.. 
Havn't really looked at either for almost a year/half now. I'm not in the best of moods.

Lesson to be learn't here: Always readily backup your DVDrs kids.  Wink

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005, 03:28:30 AM »

I've had that but in home cimema form. Two speakers, each from two sepearet home cinema systems topeed working, luckily their back online now. I hope your DVD's get sorted out Smoker.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005, 08:37:42 AM »

Don't like the sound of that.I'd better not get rid of my video SW collection that i have duplicated on DVD then!!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »

I skipped through some of the movie today and must admit that, as usual with Corbucci, he doesn't follow any beaten trail (but nobody here said that the subject was by Ugo Pirro and screenplay by Di Leo: that makes it a must see anyway). I will try to watch the movie with ease this week, but I would like to point at some things right now.
1) The stunts. Those with the horses are really something. Wonder if they could be done nowadays, but I doubt it.
2) Sambrell. He's a good sidekick, but leader? Would you ever accept him as such? Not me, folks, thanx! BTW I wonder whether Robledo could have made a try at playing the leader and I ask: did he ever played it in any other movie?
3) Why does Reynolds at the beginning instead of getting rid of the 2 gangers tries his best to do a hand to hand? Sure, that makes for good antics and stunts, but is it credible? Further, he looks less indian to me here than in Hawk.
Still, the widescreen edition is worth the seeing: it is really spectacular in the open air scenes. and a feast for the eye. Totally different from the poor fullscreen I saw of Django recently. 

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2005, 08:53:06 AM »

Why does Reynolds at the beginning instead of getting rid of the 2 gangers tries his best to do a hand to hand?

To me...this really establishes Joe's character as an assassin...his methods remain pretty consistent throughout.

Further, he looks less indian to me here than in Hawk.

Reynolds is half Cherokee.......

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2005, 09:22:55 AM »

unfortunately he looks like a Native Ameican waiter in his costume.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2005, 11:51:40 AM »

Sure. It doesn't mean anything what you are at the movies, only what you look like. I think the make-up is terrible. He would have come off more naturally Indian without much of it. Like in Hawk. Does anybody know whether the stunts are all his own?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2005, 04:23:59 PM »

Watched the movie today. agreed with the title of the topic (and you know I'm not a Corbucci's fan, probably also because I know most part of his non-western filmography). Actually I was about to say that it's so good that it can't be a Corbucci's. But then one takes into account the fact that it is a De Laurentiis production and it shows. I don't want to repeat things already said here. Only make some points.
1) I can't remember a much cooler Reynolds. Here we go again to my other topic where I wrote I couldn't explain why it took so many years to some american actors to become superstars than was acceptable. Anyway, I haven't rewatched lately Reynolds's blockbusters of the '70's but I don't think he can have made a much better job than he does here. Do I remember well? Question:is the dub voice his own?
2) The title tune is much more effective when heard with the images, expecially when the gang comes into town. Still, though it has taken possession of my brain already, I don't think it is very much (for a '60's Morricone, of course). The rest of the soundtrack, is it there at all? Will have to listen to the cd to decide.

ACHTUNG:  SPOILER !!!! SPOILER!!!SPOILER!!!!

3) I don't like the way Reynolds dies. As an idiot. I was ready to bet that he would be shot by the man he hits with a stone.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:26:34 PM by titoli » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM