Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:18:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Navajo Joe (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Navajo Joe (1966)  (Read 36713 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2003, 06:10:58 PM »

Burt Reynolds fourth film is an obvious Leone clone with Aldo Sambrelli as the heavy and Fernando Rey as a padre. But it is worth checking out for its very cool showdown and musical score by none other than Ennio Morricone.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »

I liked this movie quite a bit, but mainly for the great Morricone score. The soundtrack and the scenery made an exciting atmosphere and Navajo Joe wouldn't be half the movie it was if not for those things. Burt Reynolds was o.k. in the lead and I wish that we would have gotten a chance to see more of his beautiful love interest.  Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 05:13:33 AM »

Watched this Corbucci film last night, its early Corbucci and it sort of reminds one of a TV western that goes off the deep end.

I had read about the opening scalping sequence and was primed to be a little shocked, but by todays standards (BTW I just watched Dawn of The Dead right before Halloween, lol) it was laughable. So it went downhill from there. If you didn't like Django, stay away from this one too.

This is a reason I believe Leone endures, his style in his SW's transends time, Corbucci early on relied on the violent aspect of SW's, and its looking quite quaint nowadays. The Corbucci film that impressed me the most so far is Companeros which displays a bit of Leonesque style, though I did like The Great Silence because it was also somewhat different also. But Compeneros is a notch better than TGS.

I've said this before any SW that deals with Native Americans in any substantial way is way off the mark, especially if the image the director is quoting is comming from older American Westerns, they (the AW's) were all cliche'd and eroneous to begin with so the result is ridiculous.

Navaho Joe, begins with the scalping of his woman, unfortunately since they are supposed to be Navajo's they should be residing in hogans, Corbucci has them in tipis. Navajo's are also probably the least warlike native indian culture, they were farmers and sheep hearders. Now if he was an Apache it might be more believable.

Burt Reynolds, plays Navajo Joe and his costume is buckskins and is something else, it should have been more realistic more historical white cloth leggins, etc, the indian burial ground looks off, it just doesn't have that magic reality that Almeria gives to the Mexican border lands. The dance hall girls look off way too glittery, everythings a bit off in this film. Its like an Italian fantasy of a bad TV western rather than a Leone mythical  Uber West.

Its watchable but only once, it does have Aldo Sambrell as the chief baddie, and has the "now you hate me just enough" Indio double crosser from FAFDM. It also had the El Passo Bank from FAFDM. Has some great train sequences. Also the stunts supervised by Reynolds were good. It also has a trained horse, another Gene Autry/Roy Rodgers TV western touch. It was a Japanese DVD, with a nice transfer, but only worth looking at for a comparison to how it was done wrong.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 08:35:44 AM »

If you didn't like Django, stay away from this one too.

That probably tells me enough. I dont think much of Django tho i did think The Great Silence was pretty good, very different. Oh dear, if Corbucci's the best after Leone that really says something about non-leone spaghettis. Sollima does appear marginally better.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 06:16:23 PM »

Corbucci seems to be very much the Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde of SW directors. I just watched "The Mercenary" I'll post it in a new thread.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 11:08:49 PM »

I saw this movie on Trio about a year ago. Quentin Tarantino hosted Navajo Joe. I really liked it. I thought it was good. I Like Navajo Joe better than Django. Django is still awesome. but The Great Silence is Corbucci's Masterpiece.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:01:18 PM »

Navajo Joe would certainly make my Top 10 Spag Westerns.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 08:20:06 PM »

Thanks goes out to Cigar Joe.

I made a big mistake for a long time. I believed all the horribly negative reviews of this film(even from some spaghetti western lovers) and took it as educated analysis of a horrible film. I even lent no discredit to Burt Reynolds for thinking this film was a joke of a movie. After having seen it, I can safely say to anyone who loves spaghetti westerns, this is all anti-spaghetti bullshit. This is a great spaghetti, one of the best. Definitely(although it's a very tough and close choice) Corbucci's finest and as it stands now my favorite non-leone spaghetti western. All the things people complain about when reviewing this film are things that ALL spaghetti westerns exagerate, but they make it sound like this one is especially illogical; well, it isn't. They say 'why would the villain only send three men out after people with very important information?' Well, because the very important information is being carried by an old man and 3 dancers. 'Why would the villain only assign one man to guard Navajo Joe?' Well, because the town is weaponless, all communication to the outside world is cut off, and no one outside of the town even knows there is a problem. 'Why does the villain get Joe to buckle under the pressure of killing a young indian woman but then decide to try and beat information out of him?' Well, because threatning someone's life for a surrender and having to actually kill an important persuasive tool to get information are two very different things. Plus, I doubt if they didn't at least try that first anyway. Basically every complaint that is made about this film by spaghetti-haters is something that lingers among nearly all great spaghetti westerns. The point is it's belivable enough and it makes for one hell of a movie. You think Corbucci is a mad man in his other films, he really goes off the deep end with this one and I love it. Numerous scalpings, skulls on sticks, bloody scalps blowing in the wind, a town that only cares about saving the money, an indian out for revenge helps them anyway and they still only care about the money, and last but not least SPOILER AHEAD Navajo Joe's Horse rides off into the sunset with Joe dead back in the mountains while the townfolk rejoice because 'the money is all that matters'. If that isn't a sadder, more anti-hollywood ending than the end of The Great Silence I don't know what is END OF SPOILER. The music is maybe the best film score I've ever heard and put to great use, near perfection. The last thing I will comment on is a criticism I've read in a few reviews about how this film is horribly inaccurate for another reason. More than three times reviewers basically said that this movie should be thrown into the chasm of hell because Navajo's weren't a war-like or violent people and for that reason the whole movie is a sham. I would have to ask these people if they even watched the film(my educated guess is that they didn't) because it's very clear that the villain started out killing nuisance war-like tribes and that his more recent massacres were of peaceful native americans. Just because Joe can handle a gun and kill like nobody's business doesn't mean the movie is implying the Navajo's were war-like, in fact it makes damn sure that isn't the case. In the first thirty seconds of the movie Joe's woman smiles invitingly at the gang of white men that approach her, just before they scalp her. How can this be taken as a John Ford-like depiction of wild ferocious Indian killers? It makes no sense.

How it ranks...
21. Four Of The Apocalypse
20. Texas Adios
19. ?Quien Sabe?
18. A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die
17. Run Man Run
16. My Name Is Nobody
15. Day Of Anger
14. The Big Gundown
13. Django
12. Death Rides A Horse
11. Mannaja: A Man Called Blade
10. Companeros
9. For A Few Dollars More
8. The Great Silence
7. Fistful Of Dollars
6. L'Ultimo Pistolero(short that comes with django dvd by dominici starring Nero)
5. Once Upon A Time... The Revolution
4. Keoma
3. Navajo Joe
2. The Good The Bad And The Ugly
1. Once Upon A Time In The West

« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 08:25:08 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 12:22:45 AM »

i thpught the same as you grandpa i had heard only bad things, i'll get it thanks to you.

That could just be cannon fire.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 01:52:28 AM »

Although i wouldn't rate Navajo Joe quite as high in my own personal top whatever it is an excellent SW,though i prefer Django and is worth owning for Morricones music alone.The sort of reasoning in the criticisms levelled(stated by Grandpa_chum above) at Navajo Joe could be used against any movie,for instance in the British horror cult classic the Wicker Man(i love this to bits!) it could be asked why was only one policeman flown out to Summerisle to investigate a disappearance when in real life several choppers worth would have flown over?I agree ,ignore the detracters,Navajo Joe
is great!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 04:14:43 AM »

It gets the 4 star "Must View" rating from me definately.  Great film, with Corbucci's usual lashings of action, guts and unjust.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 06:28:16 AM »

Thanks Grandpa, I'll go and check this out.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 06:58:08 AM »

I've only got a pan and scan DVDr(what a fool-i shudda waited!) but i think there is a  widescreen Japanese (Stingray?)DVD which i sometimes see quite cheap on Ebay.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 11:37:13 AM »

Navajo Joe is definantly one of THE greatest spaghetti westerns out there. I'm very lucky because I taped it in WIDESCREEN!!!! It was on a channel called Trio on satelite tv and they were doing a special on Quentin Tarantino. They showed both Navajo Joe and The Mercenary in widescreen so I taped them both! I was very lucky.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »

I've only got a pan and scan DVDr(what a fool-i shudda waited!) but i think there is a  widescreen Japanese (Stingray?)DVD which i sometimes see quite cheap on Ebay.

If it's cheap, then it's probably unfortunately a copy. Sad  Most likely. Since the Stingray discs are over $40 (and all japanese discs!!) if bought new and they are now all out of print. You can still buy The Hills Run Red Stingray disc from xploitedcinema (you mentioned thinking of buying it in another thread), but it won't be available for long... already out of print in cdjapan. The original Navajo Joe went out of print some time ago and the Mercenary disc months ago.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:48:12 AM by Sundance » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM