Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:30:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Far Country (1954)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Far Country (1954)  (Read 7845 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:02:02 AM »

A piece of Western memorabilia I own now. An original Austrialian Daybill for The Far Country

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 04:52:37 PM »

That is nice, that film is pretty good too, like to get the DVD R1 of it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 04:20:21 PM »

It's a very good movie...underrated, too...one of Mann/Stewart's most entertaining Westerns. John McIntyre's great in it, too.
It's Pie's best role, too. Shoulda got the "best supporting horse" oscar for 1954.  Wink
The Universal DVD is OK...no extras save for the original trailer..but a good one to have.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:32:01 PM »

thanks boardwalk_angel for the info on the Universal DVD I'll have to pick that one up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »

Speaking of underrated westerns, I hear "Hour of the Gun" is an excellent John Sturges movie.
It has been playing on encore westerns alot latley. I  have yet to see it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »

Its good, a little talky during the trial sequence, but OK once Garner goes after the killers of his brother. Jason Robards is good too.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »

This was a pretty good Anthony Mann directed Western with Jimmy Stewart, John McIntire, Walter Brennan, Jack Elam, Henry Morgan, Ruth Roman and Corrine Calvert.

Nice sternwheeler steamer shots going up the Inland Passage (probably the Columbia or Willamete River), Jasper National Park fills in for Skagway Alaska and Dawson Yukon Territory. Beautiful landscapes whitout a doubt and its nice to see a Western set during the Klondike Gold Rush, there are plenty of good future stories that can be set in the Yukon & Alaska, we need more snow Westerns though this one isn't one.

The story revolves arounfd a herd of cattle brought by Stewart & Brennan from Wyoming through Seattle then by steamer to Skagway where they are impounded by crooked sherriff McIntire. Its got some love triangles that don't impead the story too much, and the score is adequate. Has a good nighttime shootout at the end.

Here is another film that in the right hands could be remade SW style IMO. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:49:53 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 10:22:51 PM »

I always like watching the Stewart westerns.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 06:13:46 AM »

"The Far Country"...in addition to being a very entertaining Western...presents a "vision" of the West that's very different from most of the stuff being thrown out of Hollywood in the early 50's...........from the get-go....there's cattle thieves...price gouging steamboat captains...corrupt sherrifs/hanging judges...gold stealing killers...even the "good" characters aren't immune from a little elbow nudging thievery.
Stewart's cynical 'Jeff Webster' is a complex, well written character.
I love the depiction of Dawson...a great mudhole of a town...."Pretty Little Primrose" is a hoot...
A nicely filmed & well done shootout...
Good stuff.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »

One of my favourite AW's. The finale with the people coming to the rescue, though, shows why the hero must remain lonesome. Corinne Calvet is extremely sexy. 8\10

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »

One of my favourite AW's. The finale with the people coming to the rescue, though, shows why the hero must remain lonesome. Corinne Calvet is extremely sexy. 8\10

In another case I'd agree with you but I think the townsfolk coming to the rescue here is passable.
It completes the arch of each of those characters as opposed to just being an example of  Deus ex machina.

This Mann western is very similar to his other Bend Of The River, but I think this has a slight edge (even though it relies too much on its romantic sub-plot, whereas Bend Of The River doesn't) because it has a more satisfying conclusion.

Now that I've seen all the Mann/Stewart westerns I'd vote that both Naked Spur andWinchester 73' are the best.
I like them both equally.

The Man From Laramie, while excellent, is the weakest (a shame as I like the territory it's set in more than the territory in the other 4 movies).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »

saw "The Far Country" a little while ago on TCM. One of my favorite Stewart Westerns. I'd give it an 8/10. I really like Walter Brennan here, in a role similar to his Stumpy in "Rio Bravo."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »

My favorite Mann Western aside from Man from Laramie.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »

My favorite Mann Western aside from Man from Laramie.

The Far Country and The Man from Laramie are the only 2 Mann/Stewart Westerns I have seen thus far. They are both good

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:32:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »

You realize that "The Far Country" is circa, or post 1897, its another Turn of The Century Western that doesn't emphasize the "end of the West".

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM