Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:56:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tom Horn (1980)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Horn (1980)  (Read 16069 times)
Beebs
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »

I'll definitely post about Sand Pebbles as I do for all movies I see that I like. I think it's due in on Wednesday.

If I really like it, I'll have to find the book. I haven't read a book yet that wasn't good if it was made into a movie I like.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 01:56:30 PM »

Its a big book 600 pages about, a lot more story, good stuff.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »

What an underrated film this is! I just watched it and it's been awhile since the last time I did so. Steve McQueen was absolutely wonderful as Tom Horn. You can see in the film how much "Unforgiven" was greatly influenced.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

What an underrated film this is! I just watched it and it's been awhile since the last time I did so. Steve McQueen was absolutely wonderful as Tom Horn. You can see in the film how much "Unforgiven" was greatly influenced.

Agreed, and not just in the sense of dealing with the changing times in the west, but also the filming locations with the mountains and grassy prairies all around.  The scenery sets up my favorite part of the movie as Horn is being walked into the building where he'll be hung.  Passing between two buildings he gets one last look at the land and mountains he loved so much.  What really pushes me over the edge is when Slim Pickens starts to tear up at the hanging as he puts the noose around his neck, to which Tom says "Hold it together...because I'm going to."

Definitely one of McQueen's strongest performances. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 03:27:14 AM »

Agreed, and not just in the sense of dealing with the changing times in the west, but also the filming locations with the mountains and grassy prairies all around.  The scenery sets up my favorite part of the movie as Horn is being walked into the building where he'll be hung.  Passing between two buildings he gets one last look at the land and mountains he loved so much.  What really pushes me over the edge is when Slim Pickens starts to tear up at the hanging as he puts the noose around his neck, to which Tom says "Hold it together...because I'm going to."

Definitely one of McQueen's strongest performances. Afro

It's nice to see you're a fan of "Tom Horn" Tyreen!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »

I just realized that although I put these screen caps from TH in the Steve McQueen thread, they really ought to be here as well, so:

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »

Yes, it's good and still...maybe what prevented me from liking it all the way this time is that I've just read the real TH's portrait made by Dorothy Johnson and it doesn't check with the one of the movie. TH was more of a cold-blooded killer. And McQueen doesn't look at all like the real TH:

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »

Well, the screenplay was based on "Life of Tom Horn, Government Scout and Interpreter, Written by Himself," so it was never meant to be an objective account. It's authentic rather than accurate.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »

Well, the screenplay was based on "Life of Tom Horn, Government Scout and Interpreter, Written by Himself," so it was never meant to be an objective account. It's authentic rather than accurate.

That doesn't make it "authentic": rather "biased". It would have been more interesting to shed some doubt on Horn's real M.O. (he killed from a distance and left) and how the story of the murdered kid went (he was mistaken for his father). It wouldn't have taken much. But then you wouldn't have had the usual cowboy hero.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »

M.O.?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »

modus operandi (or, anglicized, method of operation).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »

That doesn't make it "authentic": rather "biased". 
No, I gave you the distinction, it's between "authenticity" and "accuracy" (authenticity has enough semantic range to accommodate "bias"). If you persist in not paying attention in class, you'll get your knuckles rapped.

Your script revision ideas are good and probably would have produced a better movie. The filmmakers had a different agenda, however, and wanted to present Horn as a man-of-the-west betrayed by the Company (they'd obviously watched too much Peckinpah). Yes, we are settling for second best here, but we're talking about a film directed by William Wiard (a man from television) not Stanley Kubrick. For what it is TH is surprisingly good. What you envision is something approaching the greatest Western ever filmed, and in 1980, that just wasn't on the cards.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »

No, I gave you the distinction, it's between "authenticity" and "accuracy" (authenticity has enough semantic range to accommodate "bias"). If you persist in not paying attention in class, you'll get your knuckles rapped.

Unfortunately my Webster doesn't support your blabbing.  Cry (Ask a dictionary for your birthday: did your ever had one? Roll Eyes

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 02:01:29 AM »

Unfortunately my Webster doesn't support your blabbing. 
Noah Webster died in 1843. The language has moved on since.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:24 AM »

Noah Webster died in 1843. The language has moved on since.

And you're gone in the opposite direction.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM