Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:14:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tom Horn (1980)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Horn (1980)  (Read 16449 times)
Beebs
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

I borrowed this from a friend about a week ago and just now got around to posting about it. One great performance from Steve McQueen. What do yall think about it? I haven't really discussed it with anyone yet but I'd really like to. I like to talk about movies after I see them. I'll tell you what I think after I listen to you guys' responses.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:53:09 PM by cigar joe » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »

pretty big fan of Mcqueen but I always save my money for a later date with this one.
I have alot more dvds I need to buy that are on my want list before I go for this.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Beebs
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:04:52 PM »

Trust me, you wont be disappointed if you get this one. Do you have Papillon? That's his best performance in my opinion.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »

I like McQueen and I like Tom Horn very much, although with this film you don't really get the iconic McQueen, you get a performance of the character he's playing. Makes a change. This film has a nice sense of historical realism which few Westerns have. Superior (in that respect) to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:32:21 AM »

I liked it and I will get it but right now its price here is about $16, when if drops down to 10 hell yes!

Beebs by the way fishing season is just around the corner,  Grin starting to get the drift boat de-winterized.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Beebs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOH, Sounds great Joe. It sounds like our plans to NY may not be happening, but we're working on it and hoping for the best. I just got back from Oklahoma last week. We were fishing Beaver's Bend in Broken Bow. I caught the fattest rainbow I'd ever seen. Looked like a football. 16" long and 13" around the middle. It was also the first fish I'd cleaned and gutted and ate. MMMM.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »

Tom Horn's been on the bottom of my short list for a while... this just might help move it up... part of the problem is I hadn't heard a good review from a trusted source, ever... but here it is.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Tim
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »

One of McQueen's best performances, right up there with The Sand Pebbles and Papillon.  I picked up a couple of the McQueen dvds that came out last year -- Bullitt and Never So Few -- but I never got around to buying Tom Horn.  Probably should have just bought all four movies together.

Either way, well worth checking out grandpa chum.  Slim Pickens also turns in a fine performance.

Beebs
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »

I have Sand Pebbles on its way from Amazon and I CANT WAIT. I hear so much about it. I CANT WAIT. should be here by next week. Papillon is my favorite McQueen performance. Tom Horn is very close up there.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »

It was also the first fish I'd cleaned and gutted and ate. MMMM.
I assume you also cooked it. What did you do? Pan fry it with some butter?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Beebs
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 06:43:46 AM »

Well, naturally in a cabin, resources are at a minimum so we went into town and bought some corn meal and milk and oil. There was a fry pan and charcoal grill at the cabin so we just breaded them in the corn meal and cooked them in the fry pan over the grill in the oil.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 03:11:47 PM »

yum  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Beebs
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 03:29:44 PM »

We catch and release in real hot grease. Grin

Tim
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 11:57:09 PM »

Beebs, check back in with us all once you've watched The Sand Pebbles.  It can be slow in some parts, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.  Besides McQueen, Attenborough, Crenna, Mako, and Bergen all give excellent performances.

As well, the battle at the boom is classic, and the ending is one of the best ever, especially the last line.  I won't spoil it in case you haven't heard it.  Either way, enjoy the movie, amigo.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 04:59:09 AM »

The book was great too, it may be a bit geeky on my part but I especially liked the way Holman teaches about "stem", lol. It goes into it a whole lot more than the film.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM