Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:44:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)  (Read 19336 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 09:00:10 AM »

CJ (and me) are not alone in not counting this as a good movie. In the italian SWdb review it is said that opinions differ on it. I don't know whether CJ's comparison with tv movies is correct (i'm not an expert in that field) but I trust him on this. Yes, I like the (best) Hammer and Amicus productions, but there's little of it here. Rather there's much of italian horror and gialli cheapest tricks, though I agree that

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

the hung corpse on the bell has a good timing and comes unexpected. The fact that Cox consider it as a good one it is just an opinion like all the ones  that can be found here, as this is not a forum for beginners.  Maybe he can articulate better his arguments (I'll check on those) but in the end I trust him exactly as I trust the any other contributor to the board.     

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »

CJ (and me) are not alone in not counting this as a good movie. In the italian SWdb review it is said that opinions differ on it.

Thomas Weisser is'nt fond of it either... but he hardly counts as a person.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »

I didn't read his book and probably won't ever, but he might have very well said the only right thing to be found there. Anyway, I don't think the info in the italian db was referring to him.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »

I didn't read his book and probably won't ever, but he might have very well said the only right thing to be found there. Anyway, I don't think the info in the italian db was referring to him.
His judgment was a bit unfair because he had a knackered vhs pan & scan copy that suffered from being too dark in night scenes. And as I hear...80% of this movie was filmed during the evening.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »

I guess you can count me in then because I find that Leone's contemporarys were every bit as good as the master himself. Perhaps their methods are sloppier but at least they  knew how to make great entertaining films.

Blasphemer !!!!!!!

Grin

I'm glad you qualified it a bit though.  Cool

Opinions differ, but this is after all a Leone board.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »

Opinions differ, but this is after all a Leone board.  Cool

If SWWB was'nt such a mess I might just spend a lot more time there.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 10:11:49 PM »

Its all about mastercraftsmanship and this lacks it.

You two are the deluded ones.  Cool

Judging by Cox's "Straight to Hell" he lacks it also
Tell me something Joe are you a filmmaker? Nor am I but I am learned enough to know that movies are not all about mastercraftsmanship (is this a word?). When movies first appeared the last thing on the audiences mind were trying to figure out the deeper meanings of plot machinations. Nor were there many who sat for hours long after the final reel had spun analyzing what the director was trying to say.

They went strictly for the entertainment to get away from the stressful and turmultuous affairs real life afforded. Movies that make you think are fine and dandy but you come off as if those are the only ones that matter and anyone who thinks differently from you is 'DELUSIONAL' when in actuallity your close-mindedness makes you 'DELUSIONAL'.

You scoff at any film that features fantastic elements that are detached even slightly from reality but yet you fail to recognize the fantasy elements present in the films you so champion? D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L. Lighten up chief, broaden your horizons a bit and loosen the ego. Your circle won't be ashamed of you for liking something other than Fellini or Leone (really, what else can be said about his films, it's not like he did a dozen of them).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 05:58:51 AM »

quote]When movies first appeared the last thing on the audiences mind were trying to figure out the deeper meanings of plot machinations. Nor were there many who sat for hours long after the final reel had spun analyzing what the director was trying to say.

They went strictly for the entertainment to get away from the stressful and turmultuous affairs real life afforded. Movies that make you think are fine and dandy but you come off as if those are the only ones that matter and anyone who thinks differently from you is 'DELUSIONAL' when in actuallity your close-mindedness makes you 'DELUSIONAL'.

You scoff at any film that features fantastic elements that are detached even slightly from reality but yet you fail to recognize the fantasy elements present in the films you so champion? D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L. Lighten up chief, broaden your horizons a bit and loosen the ego. Your circle won't be ashamed of you for liking something other than Fellini or Leone (really, what else can be said about his films, it's not like he did a dozen of them).

Were are talking Westerns here they should be judged in that aspect against all SW & AW's.

There is now way you can remotely say that AGSTC is anything but one on the many "B" run of the mill exploitation SW's that exploded on the scene after the success of Leone's films. If AGSTC didn't have Kinsky in it, I wouldn't have even bothered to watch it.

I watched it again last night, and stand by my assesment, is a "B" film, you can see the drill holes in the rock during the stagecoach ride, the overly melodramatic music punctuating the drama is quite laughable in parts. There are so many protagonists that they just become a blur, it was just lacking in everything.

Hey I like Blindman, parts of Day of Anger, and The Grand Dule among others.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:22:18 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »

Tell me something Joe are you a filmmaker? Nor am I but I am learned enough to know that movies are not all about mastercraftsmanship (is this a word?). When movies first appeared the last thing on the audiences mind were trying to figure out the deeper meanings of plot machinations. Nor were there many who sat for hours long after the final reel had spun analyzing what the director was trying to say.

I'm totally with you on this one AC.For many years Leones films were treated with the same sort of distain as Cigar Joe shows for several  sw classics so i'm thankful for the likes of Howard Hughes,Alex Cox and many reviewers on this site(who are not so stuck up just one directors arse Grin) for recognising the quality  in many of these obscurer westerns and i would hate it if someone would be put off a purchase because of one elitists put downs Sad
You don't like Django CJ ,but i seem to remember that although it didn't win outright in the recent series of SW polls we ran-it still registered the most votes.Several years ago i saw this monumental sw classic on British tv after being banned for 20 years-and who introduced it?none other than Mr Alex Cox.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »

and i would hate it if someone would be put off a purchase because of one elitists put downs

I would also hate if somebody would pay good money for a film and then feel buffaloed by a enthusiastic review. I think that the use of a forum like this is to compare opinions and trust on a subject the reviewer one feels more akin to.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 03:44:20 PM »

I would also hate if somebody would pay good money for a film and then feel buffaloed by a enthusiastic review. I think that the use of a forum like this is to compare opinions and trust on a subject the reviewer one feels more akin to.

what he said......

Seriously other than the top 20 SW's they just don't add up.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 04:12:23 PM »

Uhmmmm, I wouldn't be surprised to find AGSTC in somebody's Best 20's SW's list...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »

Uhmmmm, I wouldn't be surprised to find AGSTC in somebody's Best 20's SW's list...

Probably Banjo, Arizona Colt, Firecracker,  Grin

You don't like Django CJ ,but i seem to remember that although it didn't win outright in the recent series of SW polls we ran-it still registered the most votes.

I can almost gaurantee you the majority of Leone enthusiasts on this board never saw Django, or any other SW other than Leone's films, so how could they vote? It seems it was 7-10 of us at most that participated in that poll.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:23:59 PM by cigar joe » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 08:57:45 PM »

Not quite top 20...but #28...

http://members.home.nl/batenroger/top150333.htm

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 08:58:26 PM »

what he said......

Seriously other than the top 20 SW's they just don't add up.

Opinions differ Joe.

What is your top 20?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM