Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:03:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)  (Read 19867 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »

I can almost gaurantee you the majority of Leone enthusiasts on this board never saw Django, or any other SW other than Leone's films, so how could they vote? It seems it was 7-10 of us at most that participated in that poll.  Wink

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. Just because most here haven't seen a lot of spaghetti westerns doesn't make the genre a horrid peice of trash.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:15:46 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 09:15:35 PM »

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. Just because most here haven't seen a lot of spaghetti westerns doesn't make the genre a horrid peice of trash.

I never said that, I'm saying that the poll is skewed.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »

I never said that, I'm saying that the poll is skewed.

why? because it doesn't comply with your top twenty?

I'm still waiting for your list Joe. Please.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 09:36:55 PM »

why? because it doesn't comply with your top twenty?

I'm still waiting for your list Joe. Please.

Not that, more because your not getting a good sample of the board members. The way to do it would be for all Leone Board members to view the films then take a poll.

My list

The Good The Bad & The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
For A Few Dollars More
Duck You Sucker
The Big Gundown
The Mercenary
Companero''s
Death Rides A Horse
A Fistfull of Dollars
A Bullet For The General
Run Man Run
The Great Silence
Cemetery Without Crosses
Keoma
Tepepa
A Man Called Sledge
Face To Face
Blindman
My Name is Nobody
Day Of Anger

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 09:41:23 PM »

My list

The Big Gundown
The Mercenary
Companero''s
Death Rides A Horse
A Fistfull of Dollars

so you do agree that Leone's contemporary's did better work then he did at times. Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »

Better than Fistfull of Dollars, his first venture into Westerns, yea, I'll give you that one.  Smiley

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »

quote]When movies first appeared the last thing on the audiences mind were trying to figure out the deeper meanings of plot machinations. Nor were there many who sat for hours long after the final reel had spun analyzing what the director was trying to say.

They went strictly for the entertainment to get away from the stressful and turmultuous affairs real life afforded. Movies that make you think are fine and dandy but you come off as if those are the only ones that matter and anyone who thinks differently from you is 'DELUSIONAL' when in actuallity your close-mindedness makes you 'DELUSIONAL'.

You scoff at any film that features fantastic elements that are detached even slightly from reality but yet you fail to recognize the fantasy elements present in the films you so champion? D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L. Lighten up chief, broaden your horizons a bit and loosen the ego. Your circle won't be ashamed of you for liking something other than Fellini or Leone (really, what else can be said about his films, it's not like he did a dozen of them).

Were are talking Westerns here they should be judged in that aspect against all SW & AW's.

There is now way you can remotely say that AGSTC is anything but one on the many "B" run of the mill exploitation SW's that exploded on the scene after the success of Leone's films. If AGSTC didn't have Kinsky in it, I wouldn't have even bothered to watch it.

I watched it again last night, and stand by my assesment, is a "B" film, you can see the drill holes in the rock during the stagecoach ride, the overly melodramatic music punctuating the drama is quite laughable in parts. There are so many protagonists that they just become a blur, it was just lacking in everything.

Hey I like Blindman, parts of Day of Anger, and The Grand Dule among others.
So because a film has continuity errors that makes it a B film and unworthy of praise? Count nearly every flick both big and small since the dawn of film in that category then. And I couldn't have one top 20. One would be for entertainment value alone and another would be for consistent directorial prowess within the films running time. But you forget most movies are made as the former, not all directors seek out to "make you think".

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 03:07:11 AM »

I can almost gaurantee you the majority of Leone enthusiasts on this board never saw Django, or any other SW other than Leone's films, so how could they vote? It seems it was 7-10 of us at most that participated in that poll.  Wink
Yes but surely you will agree that opinions from 7-10 people is a safer indication of a sw merits rather than just one person.
I'm not so sure the SW league was as flawed as you make out.Unfortunately i haven't been able to find that old poll conducted by the SWWB but i'm sure the results there largely tallied with our competition with Django again featuring very high and(i think)only being beaten by Big Gundown and Great Silence.
Anyway from the people here that broaden their horizons and explore other sw's i don't think 7-10 is too bad a cross section and i'd like to think that rather than one sw virgin being expected to hang on to every word of someone with a chip on their shoulder  Wink  they'd be able to make a wiser purchase decision based on a democratic process from a wider spectrum of opinions-the SW league.  Cool

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 05:41:46 AM »

I'm not so sure the SW league was as flawed as you make out.Unfortunately i haven't been able to find that old poll conducted by the SWWB but i'm sure the results there largely tallied with our competition with Django again featuring very high and(i think)only being beaten by Big Gundown and Great Silence.
Anyway from the people here that broaden their horizons and explore other sw's i don't think 7-10 is too bad a cross section and i'd like to think that rather than one sw virgin being expected to hang on to every word of someone with a chip on their shoulder  they'd be able to make a wiser purchase decision based on a democratic process from a wider spectrum of opinions-the SW league. 

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, I'm just saying just because a film shows a guy dragging a coffin (Django) , an ear being cut off and fed to its owner, which may be innovative for a western,  look very cool,  and titilate some members doesn't make the rest of the film (sawdust quicksand, & absurd story line) all that great. It seems the SWWB thrives on the wierd (Matalo, Django Kill) and the overly bloody, They barley ever talk of the classics but revel in the fan projects and the obscure releases.

The way to really do a poll is to send each of our members a DVD of a film to watch and compare and then vote and see how it turns out. If you actually own the film you are already predisposed to it. IMO.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 01:28:36 AM »

Yes but surely you will agree that opinions from 7-10 people is a safer indication of a sw merits rather than just one person.
So Cigar Joe,why didn't you highlight and comment on this paragraph?
Maybe because overall 7-10 people are more enlightened with their opinions about Django   Wink
    I must also point out that both Howard Hughes and Thomas Weisser in their books have invited a number of sw experts to state their favourite sw's and Django features prominently in EVERY list. Cool
    I'm not a big fan of Cemetery Without Crosses(and i see this is one of your favourites Roll Eyes ) which did extremely well in our recent competition finishing in the top 10 but i wouldn't suggest that anyone is deluded in thinking this is one of the classics,even though i think that CWC isn't fit to lick Django's boots Grin   

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 04:49:15 AM by banjo » Logged
Tim
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »

Unfortunately i haven't been able to find that old poll conducted by the SWWB

You mean this one, banjo?

http://www.sartana.homestead.com/Top20.html

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2006, 10:56:39 AM »

You mean this one, banjo?

http://www.sartana.homestead.com/Top20.html

"Big Gundown" #1? Don't think so...

That list lost all credibility once they featured "any gun can play" and "Price of power" on the top twenty. Tongue

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »

My list

A Man Called Sledge
Blindman
CJ,aren't both these sw's featured ALONGSIDE And God Said To Cain on the "B" list of your Leone Lovers guide? Grin
Titoli,what is the general appraisal of Django in Italy? Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 05:25:26 PM by banjo » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »

I presume it is the same as in the rest of the world. At first it was heavily lambasted by professional critics, then overpraised by b-movies fans. Here

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/django.htm

says it is Corbucci's masterpiece, which makes me presume is a view shared by others. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2006, 05:53:43 PM »

which makes me presume is a view shared by others. 

I'm curious to hear/read what you have to say about it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM