Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:03:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What is your favorite Steve McQueen movie?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your favorite Steve McQueen movie?  (Read 5983 times)
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »

Steve is one of the most famous cowboys for its participation in the Magnificent Seven. But he's also been in other great movies such as Papillon or The Great Escape. My favorite movie of him is another one, may be not his best film , but the one I prefer probably for the great couple he is forming with Ali McGraw and for the director Sam Peckinpah:THE GETAWAY.

http://www.stevemcqueen.org.uk/Posters/

What's yours?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:18:32 PM by roberti » Logged

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »

I agree, both The Great Escape, and The Getaway are my favorites, with probably a slight tip to The Getaway.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »

I'd add Bullit to that list CJ!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 06:07:41 PM »

sadly, I have never seen "The Getaway".
I saw the universally derided remake, which I rather liked, especially that steamy sex scene with Kim Basinger!!!!!(on the uncut version)

Baldwin is no Mcqueen. And he has no buissness being in an action movie to begin with.

Jennifer tilly was  a nice touch to the remake. She has that rather strange exotic beauty to her.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 06:09:43 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:18:35 PM »

The Great Escape is my all-time favorite movie, and I love McQueen as Hilts.  Some other McQueen movies I rank pretty high are Mag7, Hell is for Heroes, Papillon, and Junior Bonner.

Has anyone seen Never So Few?  McQueen has a supporting role to Frank Sinatra, but you can see the star just trying to fight its way out.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:38:58 PM »

I'm gonna go with the minority opinion here and go with hell is for heroes... not his best performance, but my favorite of the films he starred in... favorite performances would be junior bonner or the getaway, i mean c'mon it's peckinpah and mcqueen.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »

I very much like McQueen in The Sand Pebbles. Steve's last stand at the end is one of the great moments in cinema.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Beebs
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »

Papillon for me. Like I've said many times before, Sand Pebbles is on its way. I'll post about it if I like it. I'm sure I will.

Beebs
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 07:59:23 PM »

Roberti, I just saw your post about this after my last post here. I didn't realize it was for deeper explaination. Well here goes.

I love Papillon because..

1. The acting. This is McQueen's best performance I have seen so far. Absolutly amazing.

2. It is the first movie (and only one, don't get ideas) that has  brought tears from me. The scene when he hugs Dega good-bye.

3. It is one of my favorite books about not one but 9 intense escape attempts, one of which is successful.

4. Beautiful photography and directing, for what I know about it. It just made a moving image (no pun intended).

5. It tells a story that needs to be told.

roberti
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:27 AM »

Roberti, I just saw your post about this after my last post here. I didn't realize it was for deeper explaination. Well here goes.

I love Papillon because..

1. The acting. This is McQueen's best performance I have seen so far. Absolutly amazing.

2. It is the first movie (and only one, don't get ideas) that has  brought tears from me. The scene when he hugs Dega good-bye.

3. It is one of my favorite books about not one but 9 intense escape attempts, one of which is successful.

4. Beautiful photography and directing, for what I know about it. It just made a moving image (no pun intended).

5. It tells a story that needs to be told.

Thanks for that, and I don't get ideas when people tell me that they have been brought tears by a great movie, it is a good sign. But if you tell me that you've been crying watching Mary Poppins...

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
roberti
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »

More info about Mcqueen on the link below:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2040.0

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »

I don't ever remember McQueen getting his kit off Roberti? Grin

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

I love him as "Vin" in the 'Magnificent Seven'.......he's so cool.....yet sweet......loyal...brave...love him fiddling with his hat.
'Papillon" might be his best performance...but "Junior Bonner" might be my favorite McQueen film.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 09:45:03 PM »

I love him as "Vin" in the 'Magnificent Seven'.......he's so cool.....yet sweet......loyal...brave...love him fiddling with his hat.
'Papillon" might be his best performance...but "Junior Bonner" might be my favorite McQueen film.

I find myself never paying much attention to Vin when watching the Magnificent Seven. Then again I never find myself watching the magnificent seven either. Another over blown and over hyped film in which I got conned into buying when everybody said how amazing it is. Not an awful film...but not a great film. Give me an sw anyday.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »

The documentary on the Magnificent Seven dvd talked a lot about McQueen's physical abilities as an actor.  He was always cutting lines and replacing them with mannerisms, like fiddling with his hat as Angel brought up, or simply moving around.

Well, apparently Yul Brynner finally had enough and threatened to do the one thing that would upstage McQueen no matter how much moving around he did.  Brynner threatened to take off his hat. Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM