Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:46:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What is your favorite Steve McQueen movie?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your favorite Steve McQueen movie?  (Read 5988 times)
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

I don't ever remember McQueen getting his kit off Roberti? Grin

you should watch the Getaway. Grin

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

For fans of The Great Escape, just saw this posted at the blu-ray forums:

James Finn*made this reply few hours ago to someone who asked about eventual The Great Escape BD release:

Quote:
we work closely with MGM on all the home ent releases. As far as the great THE GREAT ESCAPE, we are looking at it for next year.
*James Finn is a PR for Fox Home Entertainment.

No surprise here,but it's a good to hear confirmation,nontheless!

Excited?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

So far, I have seen the following McQueen movies:

The Magnificent 7
Hell is for Heroes
The Great Escape
The Cincinatti Kid
Nevada Smith
The Sand Pebbles
The Thomas Crown Affair
Bullitt
On Any Sunday
(a documentary on motorcycle racing)
The Getaway Papillon
The Towering Inferno
Tom Horn

If I had to pick my favorite, I'd say it's probably The Great Escape, followed by Bullitt.

The Sand Pebbles and The Great Escape are due for re-watches.

Several unrelated notes on Bullitt:

-- Here is a nice article from The Wall Street Journal, featuring a discussion with Loren Janes, McQueen's stunt double on Bullitt. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704698004576104001598265530.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5
Janes shatters several myths about the car chase scene in Bullitt. One example is the myth that McQueen did much of the stunt work in the scene; Janes insists that "Steve was a great driver, but he was only behind the wheel for about 10% of what you see on screen."

-- As much as I love Bullitt and the car chase scene, I think it was a travesty that Frank Keller won the Oscar for Best Film Editing. I'm sure all serious fans of the movie are aware of having that stinking green Volkswagen Beatle repeatedly show up next to the chase cars on their jumps,  makes it plainly obvious that on two separate occasions, one jump was shown twice and presented as two separate jumps. That is an unforgivable bit of editing, and that alone should eliminate any thought of a Best Editing Oscar nomination, nevermind a win. It should get a Razzie for Worst Editing.

If you don't know what I am talking about, check out this video clip of part of the chase http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mLNnxZM38&feature=related All you have to do is watch this clip from 1:20 -- 2:10, and you will notice that there are (at least?) 2 different times where a jumps is shown twice (using different camera angles) and presented as 2 separate jumps... and in both instances, the reason you can tell it's the same jump being shown is because of the same damn green Beatle that shows up in the shot

1) The jump at 1:27 is the same as the one at 1:37 (the former is shot from inside the bad guys' car; the latter from inside McQueen's car)

2) The jump at 1:58 is actually just a different shot of the same jump that is shown  at 2:08

And what makes it so obvious in both instances is what seems to be the SAME fucking green Beatle! It would be mighty coincidental that the chase cars, going 3 times as fast as all other cars on the street, just so happen to pass a different green Beatle every time they make a big jump  Roll Eyes

A terrible editing job there on one of the greatest action scenes in movie history.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:16:55 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 05:41:05 AM »

Re-using the same shot has nothing to do with good or bad editing, and here it even wasn't the same shot, only the same stunt. This is neither unforgivable nor terrible, but only clever editing.

Drink, I'm again baffled about all the things in films you are lamenting about.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »

Re-using the same shot has nothing to do with good or bad editing, and here it even wasn't the same shot, only the same stunt. This is neither unforgivable nor terrible, but only clever editing.

Drink, I'm again baffled about all the things in films you are lamenting about.

It's "clever editing" to clearly use a different shot of the same stunt twice? in that case, I'd hate to know what bad editing is.

They might have easily gotten away with it if that Beatle hadn't been in the shot

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:13:26 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

It's "clever editing" to clearly use a different shot of the same stunt twice? in that case, I'd hate to know what bad editing is.

Yep, it is clever, definitely.
And using it twice was most likely not the editor's decision but probably one of the director (if he cares for the film and supervises the editing).
But in either way, using a scene twice, or e.g. changing the order of scenes (which sometimes leads to slight continuity errors), or other editing tricks have nothing to do with good or bad editing. Often an editor has to work with uncomplete material, with wrong connections (don't know what the correct term is for "falsche Anschlüsse"), with shots which are impossible to cut properly. And it is a good editor's job to hide these errors as good as possible.
You won't say that the fact that Harmonika suddenly wears an unexplained scar in OuTW (because the explaining scene was dropped) is an indication for bad editing.

Anyway, normally nobody notices that it was used twice, and so you get 2 jumps for the price of one.
Most people also don't notice that the whole chase scene was speeded up, but there are a few shots where it is even for a layman easily perceivable.  Easily if you watch the surrounding instead of the chase, which normally nobody does.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:10:44 PM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »

Yep, it is clever, definitely.
And using it twice was most likely not the editor's decision but probably one of the director (if he cares for the film and supervises the editing).
But in either way, using a scene twice, or e.g. changing the order of scenes (which sometimes leads to slight continuity errors), or other editing tricks have nothing to do with good or bad editing. Often an editor has to work with uncomplete material, with wrong connections (don't know what the correct term is for "falsche Anschlüsse"), with shots which are impossible to cut properly. And it is a good editor's job to hide these errors as good as possible.
You won't say that the fact that Harmonika suddenly wears an unexplained scar in OuTW (because the explaining scene was dropped) is an indication for bad editing.

Anyway, normally nobody notices that it was used twice, and so you get 2 jumps for the price of one.
Most people also don't notice that the whole chase scene was speeded up, but there are a few shots where it is even for a layman easily perceivable.  Easily if you watch the surrounding instead of the chase, which normally nobody does.

wasn't the "anschlusse" the annexation?

I can't say for certain whose fault that mistake is, whether it was the fault of the director Peter Yates, or the editor. Maybe Yates did tell the editor "we are using the same jump several times, fit it in any way you can, I don't care how obvious it is that the Beatle is in 4 different shots." But whoever's fault it is, whoever had say on the final cut, using all those shots with that same Beatle in the frame was a terrible, terrible decision.

This isn't something that required any sort of research; I noticed that damn Beatle in my first viewing of the movie.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:41:08 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

The Great Escape

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »

If I had to pick my favorite, I'd say it's probably The Great Escape, followed by Bullitt.

The Sand Pebbles and The Great Escape are due for re-watches.

In the time since my last post, I have re-watched The Sand Pebbles, and this time I LOVED it. (Watching the GORGEOUS blu ray disc on a 32" tv screen, rather than an iTunes download on a 13" laptop screen, may have had something to do with it. But probably not as much as my growth as a cineaste  Wink)

I rated the movie a 9/10; here is the post I made in the RTLMYS thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg159762#msg159762

So, I'd have to say that, in no particular order,  my three favorite McQueen movies are Bullitt, The Sand Pebbles, and The Great Escape .

btw, if you haven't seen the blu ray for The Sand Pebbles, you MUST MUST MUST see it immediately. It is one of the most beautiful, gorgeous, incredible, stunning blu ray images you will ever see.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM