Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 06, 2023, 10:51:18 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Who is your favorite anti hero?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Who is your favorite anti hero?  ( 8298 )
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

« : April 04, 2006, 02:55:01 PM »

As you may be I am not interested anymore in heroes. I have got a strong passion for anti heroes such as Noodles. He is one of the greatest anti hero ever filmed.And we all have experienced the anti hero situation in life. Noodles is an extraordinary sublimation of those particular moments. Roy (Blade Runner) is one of the most fantastic ones. I think Nosferatu (Werner Herzog version 1978) is a kind of Anti Hero as well or the Count Of Monte Cristo (Here I only quote Alexandre Dumas book and not the movie cause none satisfies me) or The Fantom of the Opera (here again I quote the book cause no good movie) or again in another context Cool hand luke (Paul Newman) and of course, may be the greatest one: Cyrano de Bergerac.

Anti hero:In literature and film, an anti-hero is a central or supporting character that has some of the personality flaws traditionally assigned to villains but nonetheless also has enough heroic qualities or intentions to gain the sympathy of readers or viewers. Anti-heroes can be awkward, obnoxious, passive, pitiful, or obtuse; but they are always, in some fundamental way, flawed or failed heroes. ...

Who's yours?

« : April 05, 2006, 10:42:25 AM roberti »

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : April 04, 2006, 04:28:37 PM »

My most recent anti-hero addition to the Pantheon of Anti-Heros is "Benny" from Sam Peckinpah's "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia", you owe it to your self Roberti if you haven't seen this film yet. I was really bowled over by this one, so I would have to say at this moment in time Warren Oates as Benny.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim

« #2 : April 04, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »

joe, did you find yourself rooting for Benny in that movie? I know I did.  He's so despicable but for some reason you, or at least me, want him to get the job done.  A testament to a fine performance by Warren Oates.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : April 04, 2006, 09:52:33 PM »

Oh yea I was rooting for Benny, a real sleazebag anti -hero  if there ever was one,  8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : April 05, 2006, 02:56:24 AM »

(roberti, un français qui n'est jamais passé sur LE post français du forum...)

Of course, the character of the man with no name is one of the greatest anti heroes ever... Nevertheless, we have to speak about Noodles, James Stewart in Vertigo, Sam Lawry (Brazil), Jack Beauregard, the two main characters of the Wild Bunch, Coburn in Patt Garet and Billy the Kid...

roberti
Bandido

« #5 : April 05, 2006, 05:21:47 AM »

My most recent anti-hero addition to the Pantheon of Anti-Heros is "Benny" from Sam Peckinpah's "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia", you owe it to your self Roberti if you haven't seen this film yet. I was really bowled over by this one, so I would have to say at this moment in time Warren Oates as Benny.

It is indeed my favorite Peckinpah movie!
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2183.msg30396#msg30396

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
roberti
Bandido

« #6 : April 05, 2006, 05:48:33 AM »

(roberti, un français qui n'est jamais passé sur LE post français du forum...)

May be, what is the electronic link?

Anyway, I went on your website. Thanx for this Hommage to those 3 great directors:Leone, Kubrick and Lynch who mostly managed to be in margin of the Hollywood  existence.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #7 : April 05, 2006, 05:58:37 AM »

For me it's Di Nero in TAXI DRIVER. Yes, he's a nutter, and hardly the world's greatest conversationalist, but there is something about the lonliness of his existance, and the depiction of New York as hell on Earth, which appeals strongly to the imagination. Especially if you see it in your early teens, when that feeling of utter alienation is just kicking in to your own life and experiences.

I first saw it on a double bill with MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, with a group of friends. At the end of the screening I realised I had staggered out of the cinema a different person. They were all raving about how cool they thought the shallow, empty nonsense Parker's film was, whereas my head was filled with Bernard Herrmann's magnificent music and the horrendous expression on Travis Bickle's face as he points his bloody finger to his head and pretends to blow out his tormented brains.

« : April 05, 2006, 06:00:34 AM Juan Miranda »

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #8 : April 05, 2006, 06:44:50 AM »

Tom Neal in Ulmer's fantastic Detour. One of the unluckiest guys of 1945  :)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #9 : April 05, 2006, 12:07:12 PM »

Roberti:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1121.255

(but you wont read the 18 pages, will yo?:) some parts are in french...)
tks for seeing my website...

Beebs

« #10 : April 06, 2006, 07:51:30 AM »

We read Camus' The Stanger for school last summer and described Mersoui or what ever his name is (Sorry for butchering the French Language) as an anithero. He is the hero of the story but the world is against him or he is against it. If this be the case, I would say John Wayne in the Searchers is the best antihero is that situation. He's not the villain but is opposed by all the other main characters.

If you mean antihero as in bad guy well then, Gian Maria Volonte in FOD and FFDM as well as Henry Fonda in OUTW and LVC in GBU. I can't choose.

Now for non Spaghetti

Eli Wallach- Mag 7

Tim

« #11 : April 06, 2006, 08:40:28 PM »

How about all 12 of the Dirty Dozen, including Marvin and Jaeckel for that matter?

If I have to pick a favorite anti-hero from that bunch, I'd go either Charles Bronson or Jim Brown.  Wladislaw and Jefferson are definitely two of the coolest of the dozen.

However, if I'm going straight anti-hero, I'd go Cassavetes, if he even applies as a hero to begin with.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

I have Something to Do with Death . . . So do you.

« #12 : April 07, 2006, 05:25:36 PM »

Tom Neal in Ulmer's fantastic Detour. One of the unluckiest guys of 1945  :)
So, you bought into his story, eh? Hey, every jailbird is innocent according to the way they tell it. You've been conned.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #13 : March 18, 2013, 02:53:38 AM »

Joe/Manco/Blondie
Batman
Popeye Doyle

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #14 : March 18, 2013, 05:29:27 AM »

Joe/Manco/Blondie
Batman

Are these Anti Heroes? Batman surely not, and Eastwood not really. Leone gave the world a new modified type of the usual hero.

Popeye Doyle on the other hand probably is one.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines