Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:39:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favourite moment
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite moment  (Read 20275 times)
Alex L
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »

This is my first post on this forum, so hello one and all.

Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favourite films, with so many great moments.

As hard as it is, if you had to choose one moment as your favourite what would it be? And why?

If I was hard pushed, I would say go for the moment where Harmonica's flashback reveals that it's a younger Frank who's been walking towards the camera the whole time. It leads on to a great scene which reveals Harmonica's motivation for getting Frank.

I'll be interested to know what other people's favourite moments are.

Cheers.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »

I love it when Frank and his men emerge from the sagebrush after they kill the family. The first time I saw this scene I had goosebumps running up and down my spine. Also, when Timmy is shot my heart dropped. Did you get that feeling too? Seeing a child murdered in film is EXTREMELY rare which is probably why it is so shocking.

P.S. - Welcome to the boards! Seems like yesterday it was my first day here.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »

welcome aboard Smiley

I must say your fav scene is the same as mine. The whole showdown accompanied by the flashback sequence is masterful.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »

for me its right at the end when Harmonica comes into the house all three of them Jill, harmonica and cheyenne have like a thing between them Jill wants one of them or both but she knows nothing will happen but the air is alive with tension its like she has fallen for these men who are her protectors but she knows they are going to vanish like a dream.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:01:57 PM »

Maybe I can think of it 2 ways. 
1.  Seeing Henry Fonda shoot down a family and then a kid while smiling, is  a SHOCKER.
2.  My favorite scene might have to be the end where Frank rides up to the ranch and Harmonica is whittling which leads them on into the flashback and gunfight.

Tim
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »

I'm going to say the opening sequence, if that counts for a moment.  I love the build-up with the natural sounds, and then the dialogue with Harmonica and Frank's three men is absolutely classic.

Of course, like you said, it's hard to pick just one moment.

Alex L
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »

Also, when Timmy is shot my heart dropped. Did you get that feeling too? Seeing a child murdered in film is EXTREMELY rare which is probably why it is so shocking.
It was rather a shock, yeah. I thought he'd be spared, to be honest.

It must've been even more of a shock to audiences at the time, as Fonda was probably second to only John Wayne as the iconic Western hero.

Beebs
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »

I don't think it shows this in any version but the way you said it, Harmonica, it sounds like your version shows Timmy get shot. I know my version just shows the gun go off and then cut. Did they cut that out or was it never there.

Anyway, my favorite scene is same as Sackett, Starting with Fonda riding up with that music and ending at Frank's death.

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 11:30:08 AM »

Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favourite films, with so many great moments.

As hard as it is, if you had to choose one moment as your favourite what would it be? And why?

If I was hard pushed, I would say go for the moment where Harmonica's flashback reveals that it's a younger Frank who's been walking towards the camera the whole time. It leads on to a great scene which reveals Harmonica's motivation for getting Frank.

I'll be interested to know what other people's favourite moments are.

Cheers.

You'll find more answers in the link below:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1368.0

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »

I have a bunch: final shootout/flashback, Frank riding up to face his destiny, Jill arriving at McBain's/funeral scene (whole scene practically without any words at all, just amazing), Frank's smile/"now that you've called me by name"

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 01:07:12 PM »

Two moments definitely stand out in my mind:

1. When Frank puts the harmonica in Young Harmonica's mouth.

2. After we've seen an entire family been slaughtered, the five ominous looking men in dusters come out of the brush. The camera pans over, and the leader is a smirking Henry Fonda, elated at the opportunity to kill a kid.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »

Actually, he's elated that he no longer has to wrestle with a difficult decision. Up to that point he couldn't decide whether to shoot the kid or not, but henchman #1 has made the matter easy. Also, Frank gets the added bonus of being able to blame his actions on another. Frank will have no trouble sleeping THAT night.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 12:38:06 PM »

Actually, he's elated that he no longer has to wrestle with a difficult decision. Up to that point he couldn't decide whether to shoot the kid or not, but henchman #1 has made the matter easy. Also, Frank gets the added bonus of being able to blame his actions on another. Frank will have no trouble sleeping THAT night.

Frank didn't care. He made up his mind about killing that kid even before the henchman mentioned his name.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »

first of all welcome aboard !! Smiley

about my favorite scene:
"now that you've called me by name..."

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »

Frank didn't care. He made up his mind about killing that kid even before the henchman mentioned his name.

Yeah. He was going to do it whether or not his henchman gave him the extra excuse to.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM