Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:36:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favourite moment
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite moment  (Read 20603 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »

Yeah. He was going to do it whether or not his henchman gave him the extra excuse to.

The henchman's comment was just the icing on the cake. 

Oh and I forgot to mention, welcome to the boards Silenzio! Haven't been around as much as I use to.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 04:43:31 PM »

Answered this question a million times before, and I still can't decide:

- Opening scene
- The revelation that "Jesus Christ, it's Henry Fonda!" is a beautiful use of music and cinematography
- The shootout on the train with Cheyenne and Frank's goons
- The zoom-in on the rifle peeking through the theater poster - with the music it's a classic bit
- Morton's death scene
- "Keep your lovin' brother happy!"

Saturday nights with Groggy
CISCO
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 06:41:22 PM »

frank and mr. morton's conversation.

the way delli colli used a flashback wrapup that almost takes my mind off the duel until harmonica flattens frank

El Mal
Chicken Thief

Western history fan. Born in Birmingham, UK.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 04:26:57 AM »

I don't think it shows this in any version but the way you said it, Harmonica, it sounds like your version shows Timmy get shot. I know my version just shows the gun go off and then cut. Did they cut that out or was it never there.

Anyway, my favorite scene is same as Sackett, Starting with Fonda riding up with that music and ending at Frank's death.

The boy getting shot... Editing is the supreme tool for illusion in cinema tricking the audience into what they think they`ve heard or seen. Show close up of boy smiling, cut to colt revolver being fired/gun shot, cut to train stack belching smoke/screech of train whistle. Did anybody see the lad take a bullet, contort his face in agony, drop to the ground? I don`t think so. it`s just great editing. Maybe Frank actually shot a pheasant   Cool

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 06:05:53 AM »

frank and mr. morton's conversation.

Interesting pick, but that's a very good dialogue scene.  Nice way to establish Morton and his relationship with Frank, and some great lines therein too.

"People scare better when they're dyin'!"

and Morton's great "There are many kinds of weapons.  And the only one that can stop that is this!" followed by Frank's gang riding up.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 12:07:24 PM »

"People scare better when they're dyin'!"

I love it when Frank says that line, it's so chilling the way he says it. He has a hint of sadism and pride in his smile when that line is uttered.

Hubert
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 05:14:45 AM »

Greetings from a newbie! I live in a small coastal resort called Ostend, in Belgium, Europe.

Two of my favourite scenes involve Frank:

1)

Morton:
"How does it feel sitting behind that desk, Frank?"

Frank:
"It's almost like holding a gun . . . only much more powerful [broad grin]"

2)

Right before Frank shoots Wobbles he lights a cigar and looks at his victim. Those steel blue eyes are almost like two guns in their own right . . .

Obviously, the scene where Timmy is shot gives me goosebumps every time I see it. That crashing power chord!

"It's almost like holding a gun . . .  Only much more powerful."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »

Greetings from a newbie! I live in a small coastal resort called Ostend, in Belgium, Europe.

Two of my favourite scenes involve Frank:

1)

Morton:
"How does it feel sitting behind that desk, Frank?"

Frank:
"It's almost like holding a gun . . . only much more powerful [broad grin]"

2)

Right before Frank shoots Wobbles he lights a cigar and looks at his victim. Those steel blue eyes are almost like two guns in their own right . . .

Obviously, the scene where Timmy is shot gives me goosebumps every time I see it. That crashing power chord!

Welcome to the boards.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »

I agree, I call that the "acid burn" look.  You DEFINITELY don't wanna mess with Frank!  Shocked

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »

Wow. How can you narrow it down to just one! This masterpiece has many classic scenes. If I was forced to pick just one, which I am now, It would defiently be the farewell scene between Harmonica, Jill, and Cheyenne. This is the most touching scenes ever filmed. In my opinion, it's the greatest farewell scene ever filmed! Just look at the acting without words in this scene, especially from Claudia Cardinale! FANTASTIC!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 08:37:32 PM »

It's interesting to read the thread where people first said "Welcome to the Board" to me.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:01 AM »

If I was hard pushed, I would say go for the moment where Harmonica's flashback reveals that it's a younger Frank who's been walking towards the camera the whole time. It leads on to a great scene which reveals Harmonica's motivation for getting Frank.

After the first viewing, I can say that this also could be my favourite one... though it's really hard to choose.
Other two I would point out (apart from those already mentioned) is Cheyenne under the carriage when Wobbles is shot, and the whole end, where Jill gives the workers water. She did what Cheyenne told her and her expression and all the workers coming to her - I really liked it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

After the first viewing, I can say that this also could be my favourite one... though it's really hard to choose.
Other two I would point out (apart from those already mentioned) is Cheyenne under the carriage when Wobbles is shot, and the whole end, where Jill gives the workers water. She did what Cheyenne told her and her expression and all the workers coming to her - I really liked it.

So you've finally seen it? And you thought?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 05:44:23 AM »

So you've finally seen it? And you thought?

Yes, I have. Thanks to Dave Jenkins. Thank you, Dave, again... It's wonderful. Wink Really hard to choose a favourite moment.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 07:53:06 PM »

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants." is my favorite.

The shootout at the train is a classic, and ofcourse the masterful final duel spliced with the flashback.

While the final shootout is the best part of the movie, i just love that pants line.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM