Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:03:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Damn Trains!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Damn Trains!  (Read 45020 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 03:45:18 AM »

Afro
Any observations about OUATITW? I'm afraid I still wouldn't be able to recognise the first two lamps - not in the pictures; in reality and with the lamps working I most probably would. Grin

Actually, we haven't been here for over a year. What a shame!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 06:03:13 AM »

With OUTITW they are all modern locomotives "dressed" to look like American "Wild West" style, if I remember right they all have the kerosene style headlight boxes and cowcatchers.
The only part they didn't disguise was the porthole style windows on the Spanish locos.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »

Here are those images that you mentioned were missing marmota.

Both of these American loco's look like something out of a Spaghetti Western. They have the familiar but surreal quality that the "dressed" Spanish loco's had.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but the majority of American Westerns used almost the same dozen steam locomotives in their films, the Virgina City & Truckee RR, the Sierra RR,  the Nacional de Mexico( in Durango) and one or two Oregon RR's for the "Wild West" wheel arrangement (ooOO) types. The narrow gauge Denver & Rio Grande was used in a number of films. In "The Professionals" and "The Wild Bunch" I believe the turn of the century looking locos were from an Arizona's Magma mine railway and again from the Nacional de Mexico.

The loco below shows slanted steam cylinders, I believe (if I remember right) in "The Great Locomotive Chase" or Anderson's raid during the Civil War one of the engines chasing "The General" was similar to the image below.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:43:49 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 02:26:28 AM »

Both of these American loco's look like something out of a Spaghetti Western. They have the familiar but surreal quality that the "dressed" Spanish loco's had.

Indeed. Afro And I like them much more than the big ones... probably because of that "familiar" quality. Except for the cowcatcher they sort of look like something you could have met somewhere on a local railway in Europe... though I don't have the necessary knowledge to tell.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:17 AM »

Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »

Nice screen caps A1.

The loco in the original looks definitely late 1890's to early 1900's, though a lot of older locos were rebuilt & upgraded, I know of a book where I can find for sure.

The new version loco looks more in the 1850's to 1880's range though it looks a bit small for a mainline road engine more like a yard switcher. 

Take a comaprison between the historical fourth picture down from the book title image and the third picture up from the movie still with Crowe, look at the size of the driving wheels. On the vintage photo they are probably 60 inch or better drivers in the new version film  the engine has at best 36 inch drivers.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »

If it was built in 1907 then it had to be retrograded to look like a typical wood burner from the 1850-1880 period, to give it the correct look, the original 1907 would have had an electric light, it was probably a yard switcher.  Most of the ooOO wheel arangement "Americans" looked the same just got bigger & more powerful throught the years. The remake's engine is a oOOO a "Mogul".

Another give away is that the passanger trains had the big driving wheels for speed the small drivers were for traction.

To bad the director couldn't incorporate the snow storm to the story what a loss.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 05:32:26 AM »

To bad the director couldn't incorporate the snow storm to the story what a loss.

I like the snow too.
I'm going to see it today, so it's interesting to see here now what I should be looking for in the film. Afro
BTW, what does it feel like, saying "I want a ticket for 3:10 to Yuma"? Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »

Just one correction on the Gatling Gun it had to be post 1872 with that builders plate.  Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »

It was interesting, to hear the characters saying "Gatling" and reading "kulomet" in the subtitles... I wonder whether it's really the correct Czech term for it. Huh Of course, you cannot know.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 05:57:10 AM »

I have a buddy of mine from high school who's parents had two Army/Navy Surplus stores in Manhattan and one of them was also contained the only gunshop existing in Manhattan in the 1960's, we were both big Leone fans.  He lived in a penthouse apt down in The Village. In that aptment was a huge Civil War Collection of pristeen arms both Confederate & Union, we were like kids in a candy store.   Cool

The topper though was down in the store (the one that no longer exists) at the corner of Houston & Broadway it no longer had arms for sale, that had been moved to the 42nd street location, in the back on the loading dock was a Gatling Gun very similar to the one in the above also with the vertical clip but still mounted upon a wooden field carridge, it was very cool giving it a crank.  Afro

Don't know what happend to that gun after the Houston St. store shut down.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »

Here on Don Ross's page  bottom link are some of the locomotives of the WT Carter Lumber co in a scrap line at WT Carter Lumber before restoration. And some other shots of what they originally looked like.

Its the 4th one down looks different in original form don't it?  Again it was a logging railroad which explains why the engine drivers on the remake 3:10 to Yuma's steam engine were small (it was for traction) logging railroads had steeper grades and sharper curves than mainline railroads so they required more smaller engines with greater traction rather than speed.

Again most passanger steam locomotives had "high" drivers.

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1104.htm

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:15:28 AM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 07:18:24 AM »

The restoration looks quite different from the original version of the loco, looks like a typical tourist railroad. In the film it looks like a toy train,  almost too small to pull the cars, lol.

Here are some vintage Baldwin 2-6-0's from Nevada they all just look larger than the 1907 restoration, I think, anyway just click to see the images you can see how they ( the Baldwin 2-6-0's ) progressed from 1869 to 1878:

http://www.nsrm-friends.org/nsrm09.html

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:51:58 PM by cigar joe » Logged

graysev
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

When a steam locomotive from China was brought to the states,it's wheel configuration had to be changed to fit American rails. Most European rails are wider than American rails. Leone wanted to show something entirely different,which is what made him good.

If it weren't for that dress,I'd think you were a man,you ugly old wart.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »

Most European rails are wider than American rails.

Are they? I believed most had the standard gauge. We certainly do here in the Czech Republic, and always have had. And those local railways here that are different tend to be narrower, not wider. I think the whole former Austrio-Hungarian Empire would be the same case.
It's wider in the former USSR, as far as I know, and Spain. I'd have to ask dad.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM