Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:58:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Damn Trains!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Damn Trains!  (Read 44890 times)
Tucos wife
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 12:46:32 PM »

Wow, another reason why I love this board. I am nuts about steam engines. My mom's side of the family were all railroad workers and worked on steam engines in the old days. My uncle just retired as Conducter on the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) and I'm told I have that railroad calling because I'm so obscessed and I have definately looked into it tons of times but the shift work kinda makes me think (pulling switches at 4:00am on a sunday in january in -47 celcius temps makes me cringe) I can't get up in the morning as it is.

This is a pic of the "Muskeg Express", it is from 1910 and was a Narrow Gauge logging train, carrying logs back from the bush. It's gas now but back then it was steam probably from wood.  I grew up in Thunder Bay and trains put the town on the map. There was no way around the region but by train until the 30's when the highway was built.  Horses were used right up til the 30's in logging camps but the train helped in industrious camps. My grandpa worked in a camp just like that while helping to build the Trans-Canada highway in the 30's. Muskeg comes from the fact that Thunder Bay is built on swamp (muskeg) hahahaha. LOTS of blackflies and skeeters. And I'm going up for a visit soon, I'll be sure to get some good bites LOL

http://www.tbsource.com/pictures/view.asp?cid=69943&imageid=67937&returnurl=

Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »

funky looking & cool, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
leonehayrani
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »

This train info is indeed great, as I am a train lover also.  Considering what they had to work with, and that American trains were not nearly so uniform-looking in reality as American westerns (especially older ones) seem to make out, Leone and Simi did a great job at "Americanising" the Spanish trains, not to mention everything else.

I read once, in fact, that after several years of spaghetti westerns, people got so used to seeing the Italian/Spanish "west" and all its details that when people started making more westerns, even some non-American-made films, in the US SW or Mexico, people ironically felt that they didn't look "authentic" enough.  That is a testament to the power of film in imprinting minds.  People came to expect the SW to look like the Italina/Spanish version and thought it looked wrong when filmed in the real SW/Mexico.  I don't remember where I read it, though, or when people had that reaction.  I don't think it was in relation to the Wild Bunch, and I think it as later in the 70s, when spaghettis had pretty much run out of steam. 

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 11:55:57 AM »

I too am a train lover, as well as SW lover!!! I just wanted to know if anybody has pictures of the locomotives used in Once Upon a Time in the West and what they look like today ( if they still exist )? I know there were 4 locos used in that movie but the commentary said there was only two?

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »

One SW locomotive that still exists is the one from Bullet for a General (or Quien Sabe), its in a shed at Guadix railway station, still works and is brought out on special occasions.

The train with the large smoke stack i.e. Mortimers's train in FDM, Tuco's in GBU and seen passing through Flagstone in OTW, no longer exists. I've seen a photo taken by Michel Commes in Guadix showing the train in a very bad state ready for scrap.

Not sure what happened to the other OTW trains, certainly no evidence of them in the Guadix area these days.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:40:12 PM by Ramon » Logged

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

I never saw A Bullet for the General so I don't know which train you're talking about. I found an article saying it was Mortimer's train from For a Few Dollars More that was sitting in the shed. Maybe there were just two locomotives in OUTITW?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 07:00:30 PM »

The Locomotive from ABFTG is a Prussian style locomotive with red painted highlights, Euro style twin bumpers on the front no cow catcher triple headlights in a triangle shape.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 05:18:07 PM »

Here is a cool site of old Railroad maps from the Library of Congress. Pick a map and then you can zoom in on it. Checked out the New Mexico RR Map there wasn't a RR near it in fact Tucumcari wasn't even named Tucumcari on the maps in the 1890's looks like its original name or the closest locality to it was Ft. Bascomb.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/rrhtml/rrhome.html

Go to the Mexico section and then map 10, zoom into New Nexico, follow the railroad west into Arizona through Santa Fe, Albequerque, Ft. Wingate, Prescott, Flagstaff, Aztec, Aubery, the only ones I haven't found yet are Valencia, Cattle Corner and lol Sweetwater.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 05:46:34 PM by cigar joe » Logged

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 06:39:36 AM »

CJ, thanks a lot for the link, I've just realised it might be useful for my seminary work about OUATITW! This board really is a treasury...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 03:32:52 PM »

Jesus, I see my first post ever.

A stroll down memory lane.  Cheesy

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 06:17:16 AM »

Jesus, I see my first post ever.

A stroll down memory lane.  Cheesy

Cheesy
What was my first post ever? Huh I must look into my history.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »

When I watched Tombstone the other night there was a sequence where Wyatt shoots down Buckskin Frank at the Tuson Station at night.

This is a good example of what things are coming to with film and where we are headed because for one thing we see steam comming out from beneath the passanger cars Huh, then as the train backs out of the station we see the locomotive but its obviously not fired up and only being pulled backwards with fake steam for special effects, lol,  the way you can tell is because the sound effects they are using is for a steam engine thats running a lot faster than what is shown backing out. its basically going,  chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug- rather than a first chug..........chug........chug, etc., etc. slowly getting faster. The sound guys know nothing about locomotives.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 09:08:31 PM »

Oh yeah, I remember that. Same thing happens in ABFTG at the end. You can tell that GMV after he shoots the American that the " train car " is being pushed by him.  Roll Eyes

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »

Or that silent film grandma let record on DVD... No idea how is it called in English, Peacemaker didn't know it. Wink It's all about trains, but there are so many flaws - like that scene, where a locomotive goes fast to a house (depot, I think) and they give it a VERY short time to reverse, actually start worrying about it in moment when they are about 10-15 m from it, I think. So father said: it would already break through that wall long time before.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 08:51:10 AM »

Are you sure it's not "The General?"  I never saw it, so I wouldn't know.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM