Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:39:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Poster Artwork?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poster Artwork?  (Read 2086 times)
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2003, 11:19:06 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but does anybody know the name of the person responsible for the amazing artwork used on Leone's westerns? And why has it not been used for the DVD releases? Although the sketches of Clint are good, I really don't think that they deserve to brace the the covers. Do You?? I fear for the DVD release of OUATITW.

Yep! Go on, the sketches are by the same guy. Ha Ha Ha!

"What's a Mook?"
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 03:01:19 PM »

The Production Designer of  FFDM, GBU and OUTW is Carlo Simi. He's also the set decorator of FOD, FFDM and costume designer of FOD, FFDM, GBU and OUTW.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 04:26:18 PM »

vhs & dvd boxes on sale  are comparatively smaller than say theater poster cards especially when  theaters were thearters.  the market crams carlo simi's big picture down a notch more.  i remember half the fun as a child was to get off from the guys and just endlessly staring at the loby cards. this built up anticipation and was an art form unto itselfe . you couldn't see breast enhancement in schoolbooks.  i felt that guilty pleasure feeling i love so much as i stood there standing  staring up at this incredible work. i felt i was the olny one who understood it when in fact, it at the time, was a marketing tool also.  but the real deal marketing tool.

as we are left to settle for small dvd boxes art work gets scrunched more & more thus missing the  whole experience.  the hard working people who design dvd cart work must crunch the big picture carlo simi was creating down a notch more in order to sell  .  with no playbacks or fast forwards   pauses.  with a hundred people depending on the size of your town.  other people interrested in this man with no name also.
 if i'm seeing something in a theater  the movie goes by once and then you got to wait to see it again.  this  makes the whole experience all the more exciting and mysterious.

i used to have a routine as a boy to know @ least a week ahead of time the man with no name was coming to my town and  i was in heaven during my classes thinking what  happens next.  then on friday i would walk from my father's grocery store to the state or strand theaters. both gigantic.  at least  an hour before the start of the picture just to study the loby cards carlo simi created in order to get a feel for what i was about to see.   then i'd take a seat and wait in a darkened theater for 30 mins. pondering. then those lights came on the curtian opened.
enter the man w/ith no name.  then time disappeared.  everything disappeared except the movie.  after the movie i would walk around town thinking about each scene in a daze.  that effected me for days.  delicious pleasure.

now we just pop it in and flip on a t.v.   somethings gone out of life scince then.    Sad
my grandfather,who was a real united states marshell in north carolina, used had a saying. "imagination is the biggest nation on earth."
kermit

« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 04:48:40 PM by KERMIT » Logged
dynamite
Road Apple

GIU LA TESTA (you sucker!)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 02:06:34 PM »

The matter is: which artwork we are talking about.
For example here in Italy there are many different version of the same movie poster (first, second run...)
some of them are very good, some are just shit!
However it's very interesting to compare them!

Very often -in Italy- the artwork is ordered to... men without name!
 Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM