Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:17:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)  (Read 28493 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 01:24:58 AM »

Just saw it again recently on AMC, and enjoyed it more than I ever have before. A really great Morricone score, and the closest performance by Eastwood post SL to the Man With 3 Names (he even smokes those little cigars). Best of all is probably the location work: the whole film was shot in Mexico and, crazy as it may seem, Mexico locations used for a Mexico setting works really really well. And of course, Don S knows a thing or two about directing action-adventure films, no?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 05:24:43 AM »

And thinking Eastwood hated smoking cigares in SL westerns, and there he had to do it again... He has the poncho too.
 A very close attempt for the Americans to imitate SW.

Beebs
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 03:56:16 PM »

Best of all is probably the location work: the whole film was shot in Mexico and, crazy as it may seem, Mexico locations used for a Mexico setting works really really well.

In more of my reading of Eli Wallach's book, when he was doin The Mag seven Mexican censors got mad because the Mexicans were shown as poor little helpless pitiful cowards. Sturges made sure they were wearing clean white clothes. But an assistant director (nicknamed El Indio) had to over see the filming in Mexico. He was in charge of getting Eli a sombraro. He got a custom 4 ft brim hat.

Beebs
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 07:36:33 AM »

On the back of the Two Mules for Sister Sara DVD case there is a poster that says "The Man with No Name returns to take on an entire army with two guns and a fistful of dynamite"

Just thought it was interesting.

(discusion follows...)

Tim
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 08:51:40 AM »

I guess just another way to capitalize on the success of the Dollars trilogy although you can tell that line might be a more recent addition/creation.  Fistful of Dynamite was released in 1971, while Two Mules for Sister Sara was released the year before in '70.

And as for the guns comment, Hogan does use 2 guns, his rifle to blow the bridge with the help of Sister Sara and his ever-trusty pistol.

Good movie and another great quirky Morricone score. 

Sensei
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 05:17:26 PM »

And as for the guns comment, Hogan does use 2 guns, his rifle to blow the bridge with the help of Sister Sara and his ever-trusty pistol.

That might explain it. On the cover of my DVD (which I bought in sweden) "guns" is translated to "pistols". Obviously that would then be wrong. Grin

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 08:24:49 AM »

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but until just a couple of days ago, I'd never actually seen Two Mules for Sister Sara.  Sure, I knew all about it, including things that spoiled certain surprises for me, but I never sat down to watch the thing.  I was missing out.

A number of places describe the film as a comedy, but I don't think I'd go that far.  I'd classify it an action/comedy, with the contents tilted more heavily toward the action end of the spectrum.  All in all, I found the mixture quite satisfactory.

And it didn't hurt that Shirley MacLaine was a lot more appealing as an actress (and to the eyes) than she was to become later on.    Kiss

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but until just a couple of days ago, I'd never actually seen Two Mules for Sister Sara.  Sure, I knew all about it, including things that spoiled certain surprises for me, but I never sat down to watch the thing.  I was missing out.

dont be ashamed. Thats pretty much the only Clint Eastwood western I have yet to see. I think most here can say the same.
Its rather elusive isnt it? Never at the store, never on television...

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

dont be ashamed. Thats pretty much the only Clint Eastwood western I have yet to see. I think most here can say the same.

Somehow I think the most most-neglected Eastwood western is probably Paint Your Wagon... but I know what you mean.  Wink

What's the most surprising to me was how much I enjoyed the movie.  Sure, it's not a classic like many of Eastwood's forays into the genre, but it's still a lot of fun.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 03:02:33 PM »

Somehow I think the most most-neglected Eastwood western is probably Paint Your Wagon... but I know what you mean.  Wink

Oh yeah...forgot about that one. I guess many want to forget that one.

you would be surprised the amount of times they show "Paint your wagon" on television.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 03:46:05 PM »

Easily Don Segal's best Western and his best work with Eastwood (even better than DH, IMHO). Of course, it's the Morricone soundtrack that makes all the difference.......

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »

This film and High Plains Drifter are the closest Eastwood gets to his MWNN persona ever again, that and Morricone of course is icing on the cake.

Too bad that Segal didn't pay as much attention to Leone in firearm accuracy, but the more I've been paying attention to the AW's I've watched layely the more I realise that most AW directors didn't do any better.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 10:59:55 PM »

Easily Don Segal's best Western and his best work with Eastwood

Better than "The Beguiled"?

though I havent seen "Two Mules..." it will be hard to top TB (in my book anyways).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 02:23:24 AM »

A good movie but it still upsets me with what they did to Clint with those mushrooms etc Cry
He'd have been better of in the Castle Anthrax from Monty Python & The Holy Grail  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »

Better than "The Beguiled"?

though I havent seen "Two Mules..." it will be hard to top TB (in my book anyways).
Huh, you're the first person I've ever heard of who likes that film. I find it impossible to sit through.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM