Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:17:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)  (Read 28486 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2003, 12:44:19 PM »

Anyone see this film lately? Great score by Morricone. Clint shows he can do comedy if written properly. Good chemistry between him and Shirley MacLaine. Heck, the great Don Siegel directed it, what more do you need? I love the closing shot. Very funny.

Christopher
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 12:51:45 PM »

I haven't gotten the recent Region 1 release of Two Mules on DVD yet, but I wouldn' t mind having it. But I did see the movie a little while back when they showed it commercial free, and in widescreen on Turner Classic Movies. It looked great.

I love the battle scene at the end. Don Siegel did a fantastic job on the direction of those scenes.

I haven't seen many films with Shirley MacLaine in them, but I have always enjoyed her performance in this one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 05:04:21 PM »

Ah Shirley, rat packtress, she did some great films, check out "Some Came Running", "The Apartment", "Sweet Charity".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 07:20:29 AM »

I haven't seen many films with Shirley MacLaine in them, but I have always enjoyed her performance in this one.

See "Trouble with Harry" ,it's not the best Hitch's movie but SHIRLEEEEEEEEEEEEY is ........a candy .
Really

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Christopher
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 11:18:45 AM »

The Trouble with Harry is one of the movies I have seen with her in it. And if I remember right, that was her first role.

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 04:12:19 AM »

The Trouble with Harry is one of the movies I have seen with her in it. And if I remember right, that was her first role.

Yes, Shirley and trees are the only interesting elements .. I never understood why Hitch wanted to adapt this boring story.

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 08:07:25 PM »

ditto aaronson.   i think one must be in a certian "mood" to enjoy the nothingness that occurs......................
and i say this w/ all due respect.

clapton has written some bad stuff
which gets over shadowed by his goood stuff.

paint your wagon ring a bell ?  

i guess in order to do clint eastwood's job one must endure a  lows to reach the  highs this guy delivers . all the really good entertainers endure.
a ying-yang thang. if they are strong enough to get through it and move on the're worthy.

easy for me to say.  @ times my life feels like an unending paint your wagon movie.  then BOOM you get an idea.  it sucks.   but your gettin ideas again !

and w/ that i think i'll ride out on the two mules i rode in on.  preferably w/ shirleee on one of em'!!  ; Shocked
kermit

« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 08:20:01 PM by KERMIT » Logged
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 04:50:04 AM »

Just watching this movie for the first time...It's not very very good...I don't like very much the story, the character of Sara...don't speak about her; Leone, when Eastwood proposed hil to direct the movie, gave the script. Leone read the 3 first page and said "no, I understand Sara is a prostitute...". And I agree with Leone, you understand she is not a church woman.
And the scenes with French army...Ho my god, what accent they have!!!!!! Angry Angry
What do you think of this movie??? Great, bad...Huh

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »

It would have been better without Shirley McClain, it was supposed to be with Elizabeth Taylor which would have been another disaster.

I think either Brigitte Bardot, Ursula Andress, Brit Ekland, Capucine, Ann Margret, Claudia Cardinale or any of the sex kittens of the 60's would have been much better in the role and would have added some spice and a bit of sex. It could have been soooooo much better.

I liked the train derailing segment.

The story was so so, the Morricone score was definitely different, best part of the film, kind of jungley.

And the scenes with French army...Ho my god, what accent they have!!!!!!
What do you expect from us gringos  Grin.

John , you know I'd like to see some well made French Foreign Legion adventure films, you'd think someone would up date this genre with a good exciting epic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 12:49:09 AM »

i'm afraid you won't see any great epic about french foreign legion... how can you do that with those uniforms? those hats? Smiley

but i think something can be done with the first empire... Ridley Scott's "the duelists"  (i'm not sure of the english title) was pretty good (but not epic).

You american are lucky: your cavalery, your cow-boys and indians are sooooooo cinematographic...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 05:28:00 AM »

i'm afraid you won't see any great epic about french foreign legion... how can you do that with those uniforms? those hats?

That was a bit tounge incheek on my part, think "MARKETING" I think right now there might be a big market to see a "politically uncorrect" legionaires mowing down the Arab hordes type movies.

*No offenece to any peaceful Muslims on the board here.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 06:30:04 AM »

Yeah guys...Piano, piano...Lol. And you can believe me, the accent is... Undecided Embarrassed Ho, shit!!!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:31:11 AM by john baldwin » Logged

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:18:12 PM »

What do you think about it?
Eastwood, Don Siegel and Morricone music (a strange theme). Good combination.

One point I'd mention, I wonder if the relationship Hogan (Eastwood)  - Sarah (Shirley Mac Laine) influenced Lucas for the relation ship Han Solo - Leia. And in fact Eastwood character has common points with Han solo, he is  cynistic, mysoginist, sarcastic, lonely,  mercenary but he has a good heart. I' bet Hogan character influenced Han Solo character and Sarah s charcater influenced Leia's character (strengh, retort).
 In fact the scenario has common points with SW too! A group of rebels against an empire, the leader girl, the mercenary, a desperate cause!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 03:24:00 PM by Dlanor » Logged
Beebs
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 05:02:18 PM »

Great movie,
I can see the Han Solo thing but he's not cocky in Two Mules. Just tough

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 06:52:04 PM »

I love this film. I saw it loads of times at the ABC Clydebank when I was young.

It was probabaly my first Eastwood westen (I had seen him in WHERE EAGLES DARE and KELLY'S HERO'S already), and definately my first Morricone score experience. It was so odd you couldn't miss it, with its "wee-bwooo" noises.

If nothing else, Clint surely wins the "most Mexicans slaughtered in a single movie" award for this 'un.

Sadly it is ALWAYS played cut on TV in the UK, which is very irritating, and utterly absurd, considering I could happily wander into my local cinema as a 12 year old and see it in all its glory back in the '70's.

The arrow removal scene is always buchered by the censors. Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM