Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:30:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  kubrick disillusions
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: kubrick disillusions  (Read 24240 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2006, 06:17:48 PM »

I haven't read it, but I have seen a movie that boasted being a true adaption of the book to the T... and filmmaking aside, I wonder every day how the hell kubrick left out just the right stuff to make it a decent horror story... you add all the crap(and i'm just talking plot-wise) that was in this other movie version and it just loses all it's tension... the hedges come to life?!

yes I have seen it(years ago on the scfi channel). there is no maze in the film(like the book) just animal shaped hedges(there is a name for that but I will butcher it). awful film. The dad gets posessed rather than goes insane and it has that cheesy ending with him blowing up the hotel.

this is true to the book. And as you can see, there is no reason to read it.

The woman in the bath tub was scary as hell in that "remake"(of sorts) though! That was the best part of the film!

I have yet to like ANY Stephen King novel except for his "dark tower" series(which gets very hammy at times).

His short stories are better than the rubbish novels he writes.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:33:12 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2006, 06:52:59 PM »

I always knew that Leone and Kubrick admired each other. I love Kubrick's work and I can't understand why so little members like Full Metal Jacket? That was one of his best!

His work is outstanding. For Barry Lindon he invented a special camera and I will post some other amazing stuff about him when I'll get my book on him I left in France.

Stanley made a special cinema, different, not accessible to everybody that is why I understand why some people don't like them.

It was anyway a very deep and extraordinary work.

Even with Cruise I like eyes wide shut. The ballroom scene is absolutely amazing.
I saw the movie at cinema as a new flick in 1999, it has been one of the great moments in my life regarding cinema:it was the fresh last Stanley Kubrick on the screen!
And this kind of moment does not happen very often if you are really demanding about quality of cinema.

Since Mulholland Drive i am still waiting for the real next very very very great flick. Not bjust a good one, a very very very great one!

And talking about very very very great one, I have rewatched again Heaven's Gate and The Shawshank redemption: definitely in my top ten!

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2006, 06:57:26 PM »

Now that we are back on the subject(no thanks to me), we all know "A.I." was originally to be Kubrick's work, until he died and left it to be finished by somewhat hack director Steven Spielberg.

What was Kubrick's original intentions with this film? I heard it was drastically different from Speilberg's vision.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 03:56:56 AM »

when I worked for the punk band the stranglers as road crew many many years ago, we had our offices in the old house in Shepperton studios at the time the Who owned it, it was the house used in the Omen real spooky place I can tell ya at the end of a working day no one wanted to be the last out and we all felt sorry for the security guards, also Hammer Films kept loads of props there so it was not unusual to see drunk people running around in black capes and fangs, the beams in the upper attic offices were real low and I knocked myself out once forgetting to stoop as I walked along the corridor
You roadied for The Stranglers? Shocked Great Band!!
Didn't they use to bring on a group of nude lovelys onstage when gigged? Cheesy
Thanks for the interesting The Omen house info!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2006, 04:00:46 AM »

I haven't read it, but I have seen a movie that boasted being a true adaption of the book to the T... and filmmaking aside, I wonder every day how the hell kubrick left out just the right stuff to make it a decent horror story... you add all the crap(and i'm just talking plot-wise) that was in this other movie version and it just loses all it's tension... the hedges come to life?!
Didn't Stephen King fall out with Kubrick over the adaptation or disown the film?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2006, 04:04:14 AM »

yes I have seen it(years ago on the scfi channel). there is no maze in the film(like the book) just animal shaped hedges(there is a name for that but I will butcher it). awful film. The dad gets posessed rather than goes insane and it has that cheesy ending with him blowing up the hotel.

this is true to the book. And as you can see, there is no reason to read it.

The woman in the bath tub was scary as hell in that "remake"(of sorts) though! That was the best part of the film!

I have yet to like ANY Stephen King novel except for his "dark tower" series(which gets very hammy at times).

His short stories are better than the rubbish novels he writes.
I think the original TV series adaptation of Kings Salems Lot(with David Soul) is great!!But i recently sure a much more recent remake and its not a patch on the first one-too much reliance on CGI effects!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »

Didn't Stephen King fall out with Kubrick over the adaptation or disown the film?

Yeah he did. he hated the film. He probably was jealous because Kubrick actually turned his piss poor novel into something grand.

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »

the killing is a firm favorite with me.

That could just be cannon fire.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 05:12:52 PM »

Stephen Kings It was pretty good with Tim Curry as the clown!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 05:13:53 PM »

Stephen Kings It was pretty good with Tim Curry as the clown!

not the novel.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »

The Children of The Corn is a lousey movie!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »

The Children of The Corn is a lousey movie!

agreed.

I saw one of the sequels that was actually a notch above the original if you could believe it! Shocked

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:48 PM »

One Kubrick movie I've been dying to see is A Clockwork Orange but everytime I'm at Hollywood Video I forget to rent it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:53 PM »

One Kubrick movie I've been dying to see is A Clockwork Orange but everytime I'm at Hollywood Video I forget to rent it.

ya aint missing much.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »

Go for it! Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM