Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 29, 2024, 07:49:32 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Robert Ryan
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Robert Ryan  ( 15895 )
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« : April 19, 2006, 06:00:10 PM »

I know this is a silly question but does anyone know why Robert Ryan who Leone wanted for the Sheriff was unable to be brought in. Although not one of my favourite actors he did make some Gems and I am intrested in the reason why he did not come to fruitition in West.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #1 : April 20, 2006, 01:50:51 PM »

Robert Ryan was busy doing Sam Pekinpah's " The Wild Bunch. " Though Ryan did star in a spaghetti western ( A Minute to Pray, a second to die ) he never worked with Sergio. You might be interested to know that Robert Hossein was originally suppose to play Morton but he too was unavailable so Gabriele Ferzetti was cast instead.

Tim

« #2 : April 20, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »

So I'd say it worked out for Ryan.  I've heard good things about that Wild Bunch movie. Supposedly, that Peckinpah fellow is a good director.  ;D

It would have been interesting to see Ryan in that part, but I like what Keenan Wynn does with the role in only a couple scenes.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #3 : April 21, 2006, 03:21:56 AM »

I know this is a silly question but does anyone know why Robert Ryan who Leone wanted for the Sheriff was unable to be brought in. Although not one of my favourite actors he did make some Gems and I am intrested in the reason why he did not come to fruitition in West.
Ryans great in the sw A Minute To Pray,A Second To Die!!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #4 : April 22, 2006, 11:39:40 AM »

Yeh, good part in a good movie. Alex McCord is one of my fav SW heros.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #5 : April 27, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »

I think I pointed it out earlier, but Ryan was (along with Lee Marvin, Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson) seriously considered for the part of Colonel Mortimer in "For A Few Dollars More".  While he probably wouldn't have been nearly as good as LVC, I think he could've worked in that role.  As the Sheriff, well, it was basically a cameo (albeit a bit more important in the original script), and Ryan traded that in for one of his best roles (next to "The Naked Spur"), so I don't think he lost sleep over it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #6 : April 27, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »

I bet Ryan never even knew who Leone was.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #7 : April 27, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »

That's a possibility. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #8 : April 27, 2006, 08:32:50 PM »

I bet Ryan never even knew who Leone was.
Doubtful. He was in a spaghetti western.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim

« #9 : April 27, 2006, 10:41:52 PM »

IMO, Robert Ryan was one of the most underrated actors of his era.  I have no proof of this since I don't know a whole lot about the man, but don't you get the sense he was very knowledgeable about the business?  Think of all the great westerns he was in.

It leads me to believe he had to know who Leone was.  And like Firecracker said, he was in a spaghetti so he at least must of heard of him if not known exactly who he was.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #10 : April 27, 2006, 11:31:39 PM »

if your an american actor who traveled to Italy to be in an italian western, chances are you have heard of Sergio Leone.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #11 : April 28, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »

if your an american actor who traveled to Italy to be in an italian western, chances are you have heard of Sergio Leone.

This is true. Everyone in Italy knew Leone!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #12 : April 28, 2006, 03:39:45 PM »

This is true. Everyone in Italy knew Leone!

exactly(I think).

« : April 28, 2006, 03:42:10 PM The Firecracker »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13 : April 28, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

For all I know, Ryan might have even met Leone.  Ryan never talked about meeting Leone, but he had a lot on his plate in 1968-9.  But as others have said, Ryan WAS in a Spaghetti, and I think he would've liked to have been in OUATITW in a fun cameo role had he the opportunity - but a major part in a major American Western was no doubt more appealing. 

Then again, and no offense to Keenan Wynn, when I think of OUATITW, the Sheriff is one of the last things I think about.  Much as I love Robert Ryan, I don't think I'd think any differently of the part were it him as the Sheriff.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #14 : April 28, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »

Well, the sheriff has a pretty minor role in the film. In the original script he had a much bigger part and his character was looked into a little more. In the script, Harmonica mentions that he is being paid off by Morton to keep his mouth shut. There was even a scene in the first draft where Frank and his men are at the saloon before the auction talking to the sheriff about thier little scheme to frame the massacre on Cheyenne.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines