Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:12:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mille dollari sul nero aka Blood at Sundown (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mille dollari sul nero aka Blood at Sundown (1966)  (Read 10787 times)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:04 PM »

Mille dollari sul nero (1966)
One Thousand Dollars On the Black (USA) 
Blood at Sundown (USA)

Directed by 
Alberto Cardone                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Written by
Ernesto Gastaldi
Rolf Olsen 

Original Music by
Michele Lacerenza

Cast: 
Antonio De Teffè ....  Johnny (as Anthony Steffen)
Gianni Garko ....  Sartana
Erika Blanc ....  Josalita
Franco Fantasia ....  Sheriff
Sieghardt Rupp ....  Ralph
Angelica Ott ....  Mary
Daniela Igliozzi ....  Rhonda

The sound of a plaintive solo trumpet.......a tight shot of Anthony Steffen as ex con Johnny Liston... introduces this slightly mad..somewhat fascinating...often bad but never dull SW from 1966. After spending 12 yrs in prison for a murder he didn't commit, he encounters a deadly ambush as he returns to town ........only to find it under the boot of a gang of vicious thugs...led by none other than his brother, Sartana (No..not that Sartana)....a loony self styled 'General' commanding the forces of a brutal protection racket. Johnny also discovers his former lover, Manuela, in his camp...(which looks kinda like a combination Aztec temple/fort built into the side of a mountain..)
He visits his wacked out mother.....living in what looks (architecturally) like a Greek Temple...the "queen", if you will..of the town..deluded & under the spell of luxury & power...anointed by her mad son's butchery.

Quite a morning...huh?

Directed by Alberto Cardone..a/k/a Albert Cardiff...best known for his work as assistant director on "Ben-Hur"..& second unit director on "Barbarella"...., this was Gianni Garko's first Western...and it's quite a  debut. You've never..& never will again..see Garko like this...as a cruel, crazed, , psychotic maniac....with 3 entire towns under his domination......whose citizens are forced to pay tribute.........in return for his "protection".

Oozing with classical themes & references...elements of Greek tragedy...Shakespearean drama....high Italian opera..( I half expected to see someone  break into an aria at any moment... a Greek chorus commenting on the action wouldn't have been a surprise, either)....Oedipal themes...religious parables (Cain & Abel)...A Christian passion play of resurrection & redemption......all stirred and whipped into a very 'Italian' melodrama. ..and quite violent (babies, women..all's fair game here) Western.

As far as I know...this was the only pairing of Steffen & Garko, who star as the conflicted brothers..............and probably the first use of "Sartana" as a character's name.

As Sartana's 'troops' march into a nearby town to collect their booty....Johnny declares "this town's under my protection", setting up some gun battles, which are basically..boundary & limit defining  contests......leading up to the inevitable confrontation..brother against brother......
& a starkly surreal & well filmed (best in the movie) ending......including, (but not limited to) the fires of Hell.......with the main street of the town acting as the river Styx' path to the Underworld...a biblical quote from Leviticus as we fade..with the heavens darkening & grumbling...(Zeus didn't make an appearance...but that doesn't mean he wasn't in the vicinity......)

Composer Michele Lacerenza was a trumpet player on the Fistful of Dollars score...& manages to come up with a serviceable soundtrack...including the melancholy  trumpet theme...numerous Morricone rips--> electric guitar & flute..., organ music...and what sounds like incidental opera music.

While there's no shortage of things gone a little wrong here...there are ridiculous shots of the sun accompanied by cheesy organ music...
some absurd dialogue..bad dubbing.....
silent film style- like overacting.....& some intense closeups of maniacal laughter...which we all know & love from countless SW...I would never dismiss this as one to avoid.
 There's a lot going on here..& while much of didn't work...some of it did...& can be quite a hoot if viewed w/ the right spirit.

It could qualify as a somewhat campy...fascinating failure of a stewpot of themes & references...& w/ the 'Wow' factor of Garko's SW 'debut'...the pairing of Steffen & Garko....
It can be a somewhat bizarre...weirdly entertaining hour and a half or so.

# 60 on my list.

Tough to find...Widescreen...not a pristine transfer by any means but OK...at least 1 web store has it (Video Search of Miami)
 http://www.vsom.com/SearchResults.asp?search=spaghetti+western&anyallexact=all&submit=Search
or...gimme a buzz ..maybe I can help.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »

Thanks for the site leading to some very rare spaghettis.

UK seller Jerksi was selling a copy of it not too long ago. His transfer(from what I have seen on screen shots) is pristine.

Banjo: this is the one I was talking to you about that had another movie that came out the same year with the same actors and title(which was later changed).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »

Thanks,nice review btw!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:13:39 AM »

Sounds good!  Great review Angel.

'ere, one of us should make a list of all the SW's we can think of, and we should note who has seen what.  That way, other people will know who to contact to get an opinion on a movie.  This sound like a goer??

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 02:27:43 AM »

I looked this up in Hughes book who suggests Garkos performance is akin in Kinski's Wild in FAFDM Shocked

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:16:45 AM »

I looked this up in Hughes book who suggests Garkos performance is akin in Kinski's Wild in FAFDM Shocked

Interesting comparison........I'd love to read the quote..banjo.
Garko went on to play exclusively "good guy" (or.."better" guy..Spaghettilly speaking) roles...which I think was due to his looks. In ".....Sundown", without his mustache...there's more than a little resemblance to Robert Redford...& his English dubbed voice even sounds like Redford.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:24:57 AM »

"In Cardones film Sartana was a psychopathic maniac who resembled Klaus Kinski's Wild One in FAFDM"
That was about it Boardwak Angel!

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »

'ere, one of us should make a list of all the SW's we can think of, and we should note who has seen what.  That way, other people will know who to contact to get an opinion on a movie.  This sound like a goer??

Or maybe we could just have lists at IMDB for example and a thread here (or link in our sig for example) for links to everyone's lists?

I know you're a registered IMDB user Marco Grin, but maybe you're not familiar with the 'My Movies' section in IMDB? It's for registered users where they can put movies into separate (user made) categories. For example you can put movies into 'Seen' category and make it public to let people know what movies you have seen. Or there's separate DVD and VHS categories if you want to list what you own... or you can make a category if you want to list what movies you own but haven't yet watched.

Like for example at this link: http://akas.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=18994797 you can see a list of eurowesterns I have seen (the ones I remember). Currently that list of mine only shows the IMDB vote value, but you can also make it show your own vote in there as well.

And of course you could just keep IMDB listings for your own enjoyment (and to help you remember what you have seen Tongue ) and not show them to anyone. Tongue

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

Cheers, I'll check that out Sundance.  Good stuff. Grin

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »

I neglected to include the title tune in my review......so......it's --> HERE <-- if anyone would like to hear it.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 05:47:00 AM »

Nice score,same sorta tune/arrangement as Cardonis Vengeance Is Mine-or is it $10,000 Blood Money?-i get those 2 a bit confused Undecided

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 11:28:50 AM »

Vengeance Is Mine-or is it $10,000 Blood Money?-i get those 2 a bit confused Undecided

They are almost the same film. Same actors, same sets, similar setting and similar music. However "Vengeance is mine" pulls through to be better than "blood money". The opening is far better than the other one anyway and the story is more engaging.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 05:54:54 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 05:57:05 PM »

Just saw "Blood at sundown".

There is a good sw buried beneath the plethora of awful acting, awful dialogue and direction. But the "good movie" never rises beneath this dung heap.

I will feature this on my Crap list to review.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 12:05:33 PM »

this was Gianni Garko's first Western...and it's quite a  debut. You've never..& never will again..see Garko like this...as a cruel, crazed, , psychotic maniac....with 3 entire towns under his domination......whose citizens are forced to pay tribute.........in return for his "protection".
Yes after seeing Garko playing the almost peerless ultra-cool Sartana and Spirito Santo it comes as quite a shock seeing him not only as a bad guy but a complete mental case-but he's very convincing at it.The only other sw i'm aware he plays a baddie is Taste Of Vengeance which is sitting in my pile of sw's to watch.
Thanks for the classical background information BA-i wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.The Inca temple like hideout for this "nasty" Sartana is great Wink

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 06:03:23 AM »

The only other sw i'm aware he plays a baddie is Taste Of Vengeance 

Garko's a crook...an outlaw...in "Santana (a/k/a Sartana ) Kills Them All".......but...despite the title, it's a much lighter character....in a more of a serio-comic movie... (then again...what wouldn't be lighter compared to his role in "Blood At Sundown")  Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM