Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 05:53:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Sand Pebbles (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sand Pebbles (1966)  (Read 8573 times)
Beebs
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »

Well, I finally got it. Amazon didn't have it so I finally found a copy at Blockbuster (WOW, good movies at Blockbuster Shocked)

Here's my review/opinion/thing I like to write.

Very good movie. I loved Steve McQueen's accent, couldn't quite place it. He's from Utah in the movie but I don't know what a Utah accent sounds like. I see it as about a man who loves his work, has no other home to go back to, so can commit fully to his work (he has no obligations). The last scene was really (I hate to use this word here) "moving". He almost makes it and BANG. Right through the chest. "what happ... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!"

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:37:32 PM »

A great movie, because of Steve, and that ending. It's funny to listen to Robert Wise's commentary where he misrepresents and misunderstands his own film. Oh well, this was the guy who made The Day the Earth Stood Still without realizing that having the Man From Above use the name "Carpenter" would make him a Christ figure. Nobody ever said directors had to be bright.......

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Beebs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »

That's an interesting story. Come to think of it, it was an interesting movie. That's the one with the robot and the guy that is an alien and gives that peace speech in the end, right?

Tim
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »

Beebs, I like how you mentioned McQueen's accent.  I'm never able to place it, but it is a little different.

That whole ending sequence at China Light is one of my favorite endings to a movie.  The tension from when McQueen picks up the BAR to the last line is unbearable.  That's thanks in great part to McQueen in that scene, it's apparent that he is nervous with his heavy breathing and that brief line when he yells "Holman, you ready?" and he almost whispers to himself "Right."

Beebs, what'd you think of the relationship with Holman and Po-han?  Its one of my favorite parts to watch that friendship develop.

Beebs
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 07:39:42 PM »

That's probably my favorite part in the movie, is Holman teaching Po-han how the boat works.

"Valve, belong same. Sabe?"
"Wow"
"No, VALVE"
"Wow"
"Ok, wow"

"This is boiler, belong live steam, sabe?"
"You know STONG steam"
"SSSSSSS- STIM"
"STEEEEAM"
"SSSSS-STIM"

"See live steam- make engine go FOOM FOOM FOOM FOOM"

I think it's "sabe" right? Is that "understand" in Chinese?

My wallpaper on my laptop is Steve McQueen saying STONG STEAM. HAHA.

McQueen sure makes the part where Po-Han is tortured a sad, sad scene. You grow to almost love Po-Han, especially after the fight.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »

Got to watch some, though not all of this classic anti-war film today on AMC, and I liked what I saw.  Great acting from Steve McQueen, Richards Crenna and Attenborough, Mako, even Candace Bergen was pretty good.  The climactic naval battle with the Chinese junks was one of the greatest action scenes I've seen in awhile, which is saying something.  "What the hell happened?" is one of the greatest closing lines in movie history.  I'll definitely watch it the whole way through if I get the chance.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »

Right on! Can you believe that that wimpy Robert Wise could direct such a great testosterone-fueled film?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 06:54:59 PM »

I watched it in the theatre when first released and I almost died of bore, not understanding what was happening (can you understand a movie like this at not even 8?). Also rewatched it at a later time, understood what was happening and found it boring as well. Seems though I'll have to give it a third try, uh?
Like another try Ill have to give to the Faulkner derived later McQueen movie.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:14 AM »

Right on! Can you believe that that wimpy Robert Wise could direct such a great testosterone-fueled film?

Yeah, isn't the he the guy who directed "Sound of Music"?  Roll Eyes

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 06:59:28 AM »

Yeah, isn't the he the guy who directed "Sound of Music"?  Roll Eyes

He's also the guy who directed..."Born To Kill".."Odds Against Tomorrow"..."West Side Story"...among others...and my personal favorite, & arguably the best thing Robert Ryan ever did...the gritty, brilliant "The Set-Up".

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Tim
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »

Groggy, so you haven't seen the whole movie?  I'm just asking cause I've seen the dvd on sale for somewhere around 10 bucks.   And the final showdown at the China Light mission is great, McQueen does a nice job of showing the fear and terror streaking through him as those Chinese soldiers basically surround the mission.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »

No, I only saw the last half of it, and I looked for the DVD at the three places I went today to no avail. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 05:01:01 PM »

Yeah, the last half is where things set up in the first half start paying off, and it is kind of a long movie, so you have to be patient. If you only see the last half you get right in on the good stuff.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 03:02:59 PM »

Now here's a website (thanks for the tip, Cinema Retro): http://www.thesandpebbles.com/

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

Good find, Jenkins. I remember starting a thread on this film as well, this must have been an alternate discussion (no wait, nevermind). I take back what I say about Candice Bergen being good, but yeah, I still think it's a darn good film.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM