Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2022, 10:22:09 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  with a little help from my friends
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: with a little help from my friends  ( 17097 )
Tim

« #30 : April 27, 2006, 10:56:32 PM »

At the school I'm at, there's a class offered through the Music School dedicated solely to the Beatles.  The same professor also teaches a history of rock 'n roll class.  I never get around to taking these classes, but they're the stuff of legends.  Students who've taken them rave about both.

Apparently, people leave class crying on certain days, Beatles breaking up, John dies, Yoko lol, but you get the idea.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #31 : April 27, 2006, 10:58:06 PM »

Yoko lol,

poor Yoko. :'(

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim

« #32 : April 27, 2006, 10:59:20 PM »

Take it back, Firecracker.  Take it back right now.   ;D

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #33 : April 27, 2006, 11:02:34 PM »

Take it back, Firecracker.  Take it back right now.   ;D

ok ya caught me ;D

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #34 : April 28, 2006, 02:52:07 AM »

Revolver and the White Album are great records too!Not forgetting Shabby Road(or is that The Rutles ;D).

"Abbey Road" isnt shabby >:(

(dont worry I got the reference ;) )

OUCH!
dont desert me
OUCH!
please dont hurt me
OW
OW
OUCH! ;)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #35 : April 28, 2006, 05:19:59 AM »

Well, White Album has the double of songs it should have. Is there anybody here who really likes Obladì-Oblada? Or Good Night? Or Revolution n.9? (I could go on).
Yes, you have masterpieces like Happiness is a Warm Gun or Helter Skelter or Sexy Sadie, but too much crap as well. 
Like the Stones Exile on Main Street and Dylans & The Bands Basement Tapes leave it all in i say,warts and all!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #36 : April 28, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »

Can't see that many warts in Exile. Though the problem with it is it doesn't have the usual 2-3 big hits the other albums had. In fact I don't think any song of it has survived in Stones' live renditions: that must mean something. It is the Stones best album, but also a proof that albums are not what the Stones are made of. I wouldn't trade Honky Tonk Women for it.
About Dylan, I learned my English on his songs (well, I got my start with the Beatles, like I guess another billion people on the not yet globalized planet).  That's what they are good for. Or at least what they were good for me.  Musically they are nil, actually I think that Dylan's influence was negative for rock music. It laid so much importance on the lyrics, while what rock is about is mostly sound and rhythm. Really, I don't think that any of his songs is as good as, say, Wooly Bully or Surfin' Bird. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #37 : April 29, 2006, 06:09:41 AM »

Its not my favourite Stones album and it doesn't really contain many of their best songs but this album (which i understand was recorded on a mobile unit) has a consistency of feel and atmosphere throughout which makes it compulsive listening.The same goes for Led Zeppelins Physical Graffitti  and The Clash's London Calling(where they stole the album cover from Elvis!).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #38 : April 29, 2006, 06:20:15 AM »

Musically they are nil, actually I think that Dylan's influence was negative for rock music. It laid so much importance on the lyrics, while what rock is about is mostly sound and rhythm.
What?
I think its safe to assume that the Beatles would still've been pushing out throwaway stuff like She Loves You Yeah if the Beatles and Lennon especially had not met Dylan or heard any of his records.It was a two way thing because Dylan was equally influenced by going electric from  Bringing It All Back Home onwards and with the next two Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde produced not only a unique blend of rock and roll,these were two of the best rock albums of the '60's if not of all time.
Dylan did not just influence the Beatles with his lyrics but a whole new generation of bands on both sides of the Atlantic including the Byrds(who i prefer to the Beatles) and alot of West Coast bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane.I think its safe to say the the one major influence on Hendrix's songs was Dylan.I could go on and on!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #39 : April 29, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »

I knew you were going to come up with this. So, not to start a never-ending discussion, I'll concede that Dylan was good as an influence  but not as an artist. 
About anybody being better than the Beatles, bah...Thought this had been settled by the fact that both old generations and new generations are familiar with their song in any part of the world. Artists from different fields of music (classical music, Broadway, jazz) expressed their appreciation towards their music. When you put together people like Leonard Bernstein, Luciano Berio, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Chick Corea, Goffredo Petrassi, Richard Rodgers (this is only a partial list, of course) well, probably there must be something at the base.  Try and do that with any other rock musician...

P.S. As you may well remember I like the Byrds.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #40 : April 29, 2006, 04:06:54 PM »

About anybody being better than the Beatles, bah...Thought this had been settled by the fact that both old generations and new generations are familiar with their song in any part of the world. Artists from different fields of music (classical music, Broadway, jazz) expressed their appreciation towards their music.

even though the Beatles are my favorite band I think it is a bit of an over exaggeration that you say they "are the best" simply because everybody recognizes there work. Just because something is popular doesnt mean it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #41 : April 30, 2006, 01:38:08 AM »

Titoli.
Popular success doesn't necessarily equate to quality(lowest common denominater factor maybe-a litle harsh when applied to The Beatles maybe but there are plenty of other crap composers like Elton John and LLoyd Webber that strong PR has fooled the masses into thinking they're something special!).Also the Beatles certainly wouldn't have been any near as successful commercially or artistically without the assistance of producer George Martin.
Dylan good as an influence but not as an artist eh?Well doesn't your old and new generation argument contradict this statement?
As regards your list of composers,i know its down to personal taste  but i'm really not enamoured with jazz-especially traditional jazz(gimme something melodic!)-but if i have to listen i'd go for the likes of Miles Davis,John McLaughlin,Pat Metheney,Jaco Pastorious,Joni Mitchell who to me are alot more interesting  in that they at least pushed the boundaries in a very dull genre and changed it for the better as did Dylan with popular music.
Without wishing to sound pompous,the music i mostly listen to never gets played on the radio,featured in glossy magazines or gets telephone votes on the tv.The Dylan and Beatles thing was very much part of my musical education when i was in my late teens and although i don't mind listening occasionally i've kinda moved onto other stuff.My tastes are very eclectic, i like
discovering new artists/genres and though i respect people(especially kids avoiding being brainwashed with Pop Idol type television programs) that like listening to the old stuff i don't really go in for nostalgia myself.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #42 : April 30, 2006, 02:07:21 AM »

crap composers like Elton John and LLoyd Webber that strong PR has fooled the masses into thinking they're something special!).

I like Elton John >:(

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #43 : April 30, 2006, 02:49:05 AM »

Whoops :o
I'm afraid to say i find his melodies to other peoples lyrics a bit sameyand isn't really a "songwriter" in the strictest meaning of the word as often touted!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #44 : April 30, 2006, 02:52:05 AM »

Whoops :o
I'm afraid to say i find his melodies to other peoples lyrics a bit sameyand isn't really a "songwriter" in the strictest meaning of the word as often touted!

well what about HIS songs rather than other people's songs?

: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines