Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:28:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's motive for the night scene
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica's motive for the night scene  (Read 8023 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 01:36:23 PM »

I Agree a good explanation of the events.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redwoods
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 09:06:32 PM »

Good question. I hadn't thought about it...but here is what I think:

Could it be that Harmonica is trying to see if Jill is armed and able to defend herself? and to make sure she is safe? So the sound of the harmonica is meant to cause her attention, or a calling to arms, so to speak; while the light of the match is to see if she can shoot well. Obviously, she does know how to shoot. So that scene shows that Harmonica was trying to protect Jill.

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 12:16:06 AM »

Possibly.  It seems to me that he just wanted to keep her on her toes so she could better protect herself, not actaully protect her himself.

C Youngblood
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »

REX.

Agree, that was also my thoughts.

But maybe. It's just Harmonicas character.
Cheyenne tells Jill the day after that: "He's someone you'd remember. Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks."
He does that when he want attention and get close to people, starting a conversation. Maybe, I don't really know. But she got scared and shot at him.

Frank: So, you're the one who makes appointments.
Harmonica: And you're the one who doesn't keep them.
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 06:43:43 PM »

Thats a good question I thought that it maybe one of Franks men and Harmonica plays as a warning, it would be hard to light a cigar and play a harmonica at the same time no?

I like refreshing the great posting! and the moderators should try to make a collection of them.

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 04:55:11 PM »

I think Harmonica's motivation for the night scene is to keep Jill where she is. He knows that she has the intentions to leave because she can't find any money so the Harmonica playing will keep her at the ranch because she knows someone is out there. In short, he's trying to scare her into staying put so he can unravel his plans for Frank. Just my interpretation.

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 05:29:54 PM »

And I think it is the good one. We could ad the fact that Harmonica is a kind of ghostly avenger so it is logical seeing him around the  house at night:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2038.0

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

I think Harmonica was just sitting like a guardian angel he lets Jill know he's there although she has no idea of his motive up to that point.
I have real problems with some peoples idea that Harmonica is a nemisis spirit all seeing and all knowing he really is just as Frank says 'Just the man'
and as he knows what Frank is like he of course moves to protect Jill knowing that Frank will be back.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »

I think Harmonica's motivation for the night scene is to keep Jill where she is... In short, he's trying to scare her into staying put so he can unravel his plans for Frank. Just my interpretation.
Hum! ::)How is scaring her a way to prevent her from leaving the next day? Seems to me, it's gives her just a another reason to get the hell out of there.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »

Always thought Harmonica was just trying to put 2 and 2 together with maybe Jill involved someway.  He was not sure what the game plan was in this territory.
However, Peacemaker makes a very good point about keeping her at the farm.
This is sure evidence for his ripping her traveling dress the next morning.  He wants her there.
Good point Peacemaker.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:41 AM »

thanks  Grin

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 04:50:13 AM »

I've always though he only tried to "test" her... he doesn't know so much about the people involved in frank's affairs, he's trying to know a little more... the match test give us lots of information about Jill... sby said this scene gives us more informations on Jill than on Bronson. Yes it does... And it gives more informations on Jill to Harmonica than informations on Harmonica to Jill...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM