Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:20:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  EXPLOITATION FILM from 60s thru 80s
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXPLOITATION FILM from 60s thru 80s  (Read 13987 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 03:14:04 AM »

Here is a brief list of some classic mexican horror pictures from the 60s. If you enjoyed the Hammer or Italian gothics you should enjoy some of these as they share similar atmosphere-
THE BRAINIAC
CURSE OF THE DOLL PEOPLE
CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN
THE WITCH'S MIRROR
ROCK N  ROLL WRESTLING WOMEN VS THE AZTEC MUMMY
SANTO VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN
SANTO & BLUE DEMON VS DRACULA & THE WOLF MAN
BLOOD OF NOSTADAMUS
GENIIE OF DARKNESS
MONSTER DEMOLISHER
THE VAMPIRES COFFIN
DOCTOR OF DOOM
The only one I haven't seen is WITCH'S MIRROR which accompanied by BRAINIAC and CURSE OF CRYING WOMAN are coming soon remastered on DVD. Seen most of the others on Commander USA and His Groovy Movies back in the late 80s on the USA network. Does anybody else remember this show? He was dressed up in a superhero outfit and would show two movies sometimes one or two serials would accompany the feature. He showed mostly 70s Hammer films and Mexican wrestling and horror movies. SANTO VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN(english title SAMSON VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN) is a personal favorite. One scene features Santo wrestling another masked wrestler and upon defeating him removes his mask to reveal a werewolf(!) who is sent by the Vampire Queen to kill him. Many of these films are rather silly but much fun is to be had and most have a gothic feel about them which is nice. Probably the creepiest one I've seen is CURSE OF THE DOLL PEOPLE. The Nostradamus series is probably the best. Originally it was a mexican television series that was re-edited into several feature films by K. Gordon Murray who also released most of the other mexi-horror flicks. These vampire films with German Robles and Abel Salazar could easily stand with any of the Hammer gothics from the period. Many of these were set to hit DVD on double feature packages from Something Weird but some rights issues surfaced that put a damper on the deal. I think one did surface however, a double feature from the wrestling women series ROCK N ROLL WRESTLING WOMEN VS THE AZTEC MUMMY and DOCTOR OF DOOM. I haven't seen these in years but would relish seeing them again particularly the B/W mexi-horrors. Although for the past few years Rise Above Entertainment has been releasing many of the SANTO films albeit most from the 70s output which do not stand up with the earlier films but some are pretty good.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

For Banjo, here is a list of the blaxploitation films I have-
COFFY 1973 Pam Grier classic remade three years later with even more violence and sleaze by the world reknowned Shaw Bros. as THE SEXY KILLER
FOXY BROWN 1974 Pam Grier super classic
BLACULA 1972 Stars the great shakespearean actor William Marshall.
SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM 1973 Worthy sequel from the guy who directed the two COUNT YORGA movies. Pam Grier also stars.
BLACK CAESAR 1972 Fred Williamson classic. The MGM dvd contains the original downbeat ending
HELL UP IN HARLEM 1973 Fred Williamson in so-so sequel to above film.
HAMMER 1972 Fred Williamson and big, bad William Smith.
FRIDAY FOSTER 1975 Pam Grier, Yaphett Kotto and Carl Weathers as a hitman!
TRUCK TURNER 1974 Issac Hayes heavy must see classic with Nichelle Nichols of STAR TREK in a jaw dropping villainous role and Yaphett Kotto.
DOLEMITE 1974 Rudy Ray Moore cult classic with Durville Martin.
BUCKTOWN 1973 Fred Williamson, Pam Grier, Tony King and Carl Weathers
TOUGH GUYS 1976? Issac Hayes, Fred Williamson, Jim Brown
MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS 1975? Fred Williamson and Roddy McDowall(!) as the main villain
THE KLANSMEN 1975 OJ Simpson(!), Lee Marvin, Richard Burton, Cameron Mitchell, Linda Evans and Lola Falano
SLAUGHTER 1972 Jim Brown heavy classic
SLAUGHTERS BIG RIP-OFF 1973 Jim Brown, Ed McMahon(!) as the main villain if you can believe that!
THREE THE HARD WAY 1975 Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, Jim Kelly
MANDINGO 1975 Ken Norton, Susan George, James Mason
DRUM 1976 Ken Norton, Yaphett Kotto, Warren Oates, John Colicos. Unbelievable screen scorching sequel to the equally sordid film above.
LEGEND OF NI**ER CHARLEY 1975 Fred Williamson in a blaxploitation western from Paramount. Sequel arrived the following year.
ORIGINAL GANGSTAS 1996 Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, Pam Grier and Richard Roundtree.
FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE 1977 William Sanderson. Marketed as a blaxploitation film in some areas under several titles like STAYIN' ALIVE and I HATE YOUR GUTS.
DEATH JOURNEY Huh? Fred Williamson.
I may have a few others but these immediately come to mind.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:45 AM »

ORIGINAL GANGSTAS 1996 Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, Pam Grier and Richard Roundtree.

I remember watching the trailer to this one back in 1996. It was supposed to bring the genre back correct? Or was it just a homage?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2006, 06:21:10 PM »

For Banjo, here is a list of the blaxploitation films I have-
Thanks Smiley
But apart from Blackula(never seen) i feel a complete twit because i've never heard of any of the others.I must be leading too sheltered a life with my Hammer Horrors! Undecided

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006, 07:02:31 PM »

Thanks Smiley
But apart from Blackula(never seen) i feel a complete twit because i've never heard of any of the others.

your kidding?
you have never heard of any of the Pam Grier vehicles mentioned?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »

It was more a homage to show those actors still had it but I'm sure they were all hoping it would spurn interest in those old movies again which in a small way I think it did. All the actors were working before and continued after ORIGINAL GANGSTAS was released. Banjo, you should definitely check out the two BLACULA films. The plots are very good and different as opposed to the usual bloodsucker movies. Here, Blacula wants to be dead. He is repulsed by having to "live" out his existence drinking the blood of others and the ending of the first film is very unusual. Also the plot is very well done. William Marshall plays an African prince who travels to castle Dracula to seek his help in stopping the slave trade which he has no intention and instead vampirizes him and imprisons him in a tomb with his wife whom, once he turns, will feast on her. The film then shifts to present day and the story is somewhat familiar but with some differences which I won't spoil. If you've seen the COUNT YORGA films you'll get a kick out of the sequel which features voodoo versus an army of the undead. MGM has both of these on DVD for $10.00.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »

No need to feel twitty Banjo. When I was little I only cared about horror, giant monster and kung fu pictures. As I got older I began to take chances on other genres and became more mature so to speak in acceptance of other types of films. I began to watch movies on a purely entertainment level. As long as I'm entertained in some way then the film holds some form of redeeming qualities. BTW, I haven't seen three of my blaxploitation films yet and I left off BLACK MAMA, WHITE MAMA with Pam Grier and Margaret Markov. I did however, finally watch LEGEND OF NI**ER CHARLEY tonight, the blaxploitation western. Not sure where the print originates but there's a warehouse in Brooklyn that sells boots of nearly any black film you can think of with varying quality which is where I acquired this disc. As typical of some other films like this, LONC will not be seeing a legit dvd release any time soon particularly in the US and in our politically correct climate we live in due to some very incendiary scenes although no where near as flammable as other films such as MANDINGO, DRUM(along with LONC, both from Paramount who seemed knee deep in sleaze during the 70s) and the absolutely jaw dropping GOODBYE UNCLE TOM. Anyways, Fred Williamson plays a blacksmith slave whose dying master sets him free only for the villianous slave hating Robert Ryan(the guy from the first two IT'S ALIVE films, CLASS OF 1999 and DEATH WISH 4 among others)to foil those plans. Williamson goes on the run with two friends in tow, Durville Martin(DOLEMITE) and Don Pedro Colley(BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES). Ryans friend, for revenge, gets a posse together to hunt down and kill the runaway slaves but are gunned down in a saloon battle when the posse corners them there. Williamson then takes on two more gunfighters and are then asked to protect a farmer and his half breed wife from The Preacher, a psychotic madman who quotes from the bible and who also tortured and murdered the farmers brother. The film is quite serviceable as a western although the soul styled soundtrack seems a bit out of place. It's obvious the film was fairly low budget but the gunbattles and fights are very good which is the bread and butter of these films. Apparently this print is cut as several dirty words are blacked out although strangely, all discriminatory remarks are intact. Possibly there are several sequences missing also as the drop dead gorgeous Tricia O'Neil doesn't shed her clothes(but comes close)as all the blaxploitation films I've seen feature equal amounts of nudity and violence the two main staples of this genre. I misquoted the year of production in another post. It was released in 1972. The sequel, SOUL OF NI**ER CHARLEY, also with Williamson, surfaced the following year but there is no bootleg of it around although I have seen the poster.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »

Hey Colt, thought you might find this page interesting...

http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/greatest/default.php

I am interested to know if you agree with this guy and if not what are your fav moments in horror films?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »

When I was 12 I might have indulged in such a poll but I don't have the time nor do I see the necessity to dwell on such a topic. I would rather discuss the film itself as opposed to creating a greatest hits list for the best kill scenes brought upon innocent people by homicidal maniacs. I don't really have that much time on my hands. I'm not sure what my favorite moments would be but films that affected me in some fashion would be-
BLACK CHRISTMAS
CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST
MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
SALO-THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM
MEN BEHIND THE SUN
ZOMBIE
FRIDAY THE 13th
HELL NIGHT
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
THE OMEN 1976
INTRUDER 1962
BLOODSUCKING FREAKS
This is just a partial list off the top of my head.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »

When I was 12 I might have indulged in such a poll but I don't have the time nor do I see the necessity to dwell on such a topic. 

now I am rather embarassed. Embarrassed

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »

No need to be FC, my comments were not directed towards you. Maybe if I had several hours to spare I could do it or if there was absolutely nothing left to talk about I just found his comments a bit morbid that's all. Smiley

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2006, 11:52:11 PM »

Do you have some fave horror pictures FC? I love so many it would be difficult for me to have favorites.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2006, 11:55:43 PM »

Do you have some fave horror pictures FC? I love so many it would be difficult for me to have favorites.

I cant say that I do. I love the genre but I just cant pick a favorite. Two I watch often is "Evil Dead" and "Day of the Dead". For something more traditional I would normally go for "The Tingler" or something like that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM