Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:16:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GIVE ME WESTERNS THAT LEONE COULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB WITH
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GIVE ME WESTERNS THAT LEONE COULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB WITH  (Read 19376 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 05:48:17 AM »

Barquero is actually a better LVC first AW western post Leone than CE's Hang Em High.
Thought it was a Euro?
I'm fed up with being outbid on Barquero videos that appear on Ebay from time to time Sad

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 05:50:11 AM »

thats good news, seeing is that I didnt care for "Hang em High".
Its flawed but still one of Clints best outside of Josey Wales,HPD and Pale Rider.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2006, 06:32:57 AM »

"Hang 'Em High" stank.  It had poor casting, poor story development, and was completely predictable.  Eastwood, Ben Johnson, and L.Q. Jones were good, everyone else - who else was in that movie besides Alan Hale Jr. anyway?  I only like maybe the first half hour, then it becomes extraordinarily dull.  Dunno if Leone could have done a better job (I know he was approached), but it couldn't have been worse.

Don't like "High Plains Drifter" either.  And while I've never seen all of "Pale Rider", what I did see (the last half-hour with the climactic "shoot-out") didn't impress me much.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2006, 06:57:37 AM »

Dunno if Leone could have done a better job (I know he was approached
Well this is the only one mentioned so far in this thread that i could see Leone making a better job of especially as its obviously heavily influenced by the spaghetti style.At the very least it would've benefited from an injection of his humour.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »

LA while we are talking AW's do you have McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

I have to say not all as I caught a small section of this Altman classic whilst flipping through channels. It's showing at the NFT on Thursday 11 May (no help to you their Joe  Sad ) But I am tempted to go along and see it fully, can you recomend it to me Joe?

One day in 1955........Sam Peckinpah, who was on vacation in Italy, called his good friend Sergio Leone...& asked if he wanted to hang out.
Leone gleefully replied..."OK...Sammy...my American-ah friend-eh..let's call Sollima & Corbucci & all go catch an early movie".
So the 3 friends (oops..4 friends) walked out of the afternoon sun & into a darkened movie theater in Rome & caught the 2 o'clock showing of "Vera Cruz"...going through 6 boxes of popcorn...3 giant Hershey bars...8 bags of ju-jubees..& 3 extra large Moxie sodas...........
They all went back the next day & sat through it twice.

Welllllllllllll....coulda happened

It would have if I had been there mmmmm Sergio, Sam , S & C, Vera Cruz and 3 giant Hershey Bars, cinematic heaven  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2006, 06:54:20 PM »

"Wyatt Earp".  It tries to tell the story of Earp in a more epic way than "Tombstone" (which I just saw today) does, and as such it would've benefited from having Leone at the helm (obviously his death made it impossible Grin) rather than Lawrence Kasdan.  I like WE, mostly for Costner and Quaid's performances, but it was way too long and could've been better.  Imagine what Leone would've done with the Gunfight at the OK Corral, for instance.

"Tombstone" was a fun movie, and I liked it better than "Wyatt Earp", though it was far from great.  I think it was successful at what it was trying to do - be a silly, fun Western a la "Silverado" (which bored me to tears).  The only thing I don't like about "Tombstone" is Kurt Russell - don't ask me why, but he didn't convince me for a second as Wyatt Earp (though he does look like the real thing).

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »

I have to say not all as I caught a small section of this Altman classic whilst flipping through channels. It's showing at the NFT on Thursday 11 May (no help to you their Joe   ) But I am tempted to go along and see it fully, can you recomend it to me Joe?

Definitely go and post your findings in the Other Film thread poll.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »

"Tombstone" was a fun movie, and I liked it better than "Wyatt Earp", though it was far from great.  I think it was successful at what it was trying to do - be a silly, fun Western a la "Silverado" (which bored me to tears).  The only thing I don't like about "Tombstone" is Kurt Russell - don't ask me why, but he didn't convince me for a second as Wyatt Earp (though he does look like the real thing).
For me, the worst thing about the movie is the actresses. Their presence violated Leone's Rule Number 2 ("What was Rhonda Fleming doing in Gunfight at the OK Corral?") The Earp/Clanton story is a simple turf war that turned ugly, and when retold should concentrate on the vendetta Wyatt pursued to avenge his slain brother (Oh yeah, Sturges already did that with Hour of the Gun...)

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »

Just saw it again recently. Garner plays Earp on a vendetta, its slow in the begining trial and never shows any style but its watchable.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
IfyAkudi
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:55 PM »

your mom

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:41 PM »

your mom

huh?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:59:37 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »

your mom
Je ne comprend pas? Roll Eyes
Excuse my French everyone-its been over 20 years since i left school!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »

Je ne comprend pas? Roll Eyes

is that "I dont understand"?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

Oui! Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

I think we have to shy away from the classics and go with maybe the second tier Westerns that Leone could have elevated.

Use pre 60's Westerns that had good stories that would have benefited from your basic Leone revision formula, throw out the "boy scout" traditional type hero,  have picaresque hero, minmum woman roles (only when you need them), use well know bad guy for good guy, well known good guy for bad guy, have action sequences every ten minutes, maximun realism, attention to historical details and sets, and great music. 

Simple isn't it  Cool

I'm sure we can think of a few if we try hard.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM