Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 11, 2022, 05:55:44 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Elvis' Top 20
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Elvis' Top 20  ( 3889 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : April 27, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »

How many here do like him? I presume not so many. Sol I'll try to list some song picked among the lesser known you might have missed in the avalanche of crap he recorded. Thisis for the people who don't like him very much in the first place.

1) Stranger in My Own Home Town
2) Long Black Limousine
3) Power of My Love
4) Speedway
5) Wearing That Loved On Look
6) Let Yourself Go (TV Special Version)
7) It Keeps Right on a Hurtin'
8) I'm Movin' On
9) Come All Ye Faithful
10) Good Rockin' Tonight
11) I'll Be Home on Christmas Day
12) Merry Christmas Baby
13) Blue Moon of Kentucky
14) Such A Night
15) It Hurts Me
16) Got My Mojo Workin'
17) Tomorrow is a Long Time
18) Promised Land
19) Trouble (TV Special Version)
20) Guitar Man

I could go on and on: I think he sang at least as many good songs as the Beatles, unfortunately amidst a lot of crap. Still he is undisputedly the best singer in rock  history and best single performer.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #1 : April 27, 2006, 04:56:46 PM »

You can't beat Elvis '56 and all that Sun Sessions stuff!He had a great band Scotty Moore-lead guitar,DJ Fontana-drums and the bass fella whose name i've forgotten.Thats Alright Mama and the like rock!!! :)

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #2 : April 27, 2006, 05:22:54 PM »

I got into Elvis rather late as my music was Punk and still is, but its funny now when you listen to early punk its just basic stripped down rock and roll the stuff Elvis was banging out in the 50s.
Elvis without a doubt produced some of the best music ever and his stage presence and mystic have rarely been matched
Suspicious minds  is my top favourite of his
followed by Thats all right then a host of others
I cannot understand people who knock Elvis he was the man that changed the face of music and very few acts do this

Elvis Presley
The Beatles
Sex Pistols

And now we are waiting for the next special artist to do the same and do not tell me Oasis should be in the list they changed nothing just a bad Beatles/Slade sound alike with wimp like Sex Pistols attitude

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3 : April 27, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »

You can't beat Elvis '56 and all that Sun Sessions stuff!

Yes he could. That's the very reason why this topic was opened, Banjo. If we want to talk in terms of sessions, I think the Memphis ones of 1969 were his absolute best, followed by the ones for the Christmas special of the year before and the Nashville sessions of 1960.

In terms of records, that means, roughly: "From Elvis in Memphis", "NBC TV Special" and "Elvis is Back!"

When Lennon said that, after the Army stint Elvis wasn't the same, he really didn't know what he was talking about.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #4 : April 27, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »

I got into Elvis rather late as my music was Punk and still is, but its funny now when you listen to early punk its just basic stripped down rock and roll the stuff Elvis was banging out in the 50s.
Elvis without a doubt produced some of the best music ever and his stage presence and mystic have rarely been matched
Suspicious mindsĀ  is my top favourite of his
followed by Thats all right then a host of others
I cannot understand people who knock Elvis he was the man that changed the face of music and very few acts do this

Elvis Presley
The Beatles
Sex Pistols

And now we are waiting for the next special artist to do the same and do not tell me Oasis should be in the list they changed nothing just a bad Beatles/Slade sound alike with wimp like Sex Pistols attitude
I agree early Elvis Presley,early Who,early Clash etc all had that attitude and raw energy which is them all at their best!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #5 : April 27, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »

Yes he could. That's the very reason why this topic was opened, Banjo. If we want to talk in terms of sessions, I think the Memphis ones of 1969 were his absolute best, followed by the ones for the Christmas special of the year before and the Nashville sessions of 1960.

In terms of records, that means, roughly: "From Elvis in Memphis", "NBC TV Special" and "Elvis is Back!"

When Lennon said that, after the Army stint Elvis wasn't the same, he really didn't know what he was talking about.
Titloi,i never owned any Elvis records and can only go by what i've seen on the tv or heard on the jukebox/radio but all his best stuff(which i guess you've covered in your list) was prior to his army stint and it all went badly downhill afterwards with the cheesy movies.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : April 27, 2006, 06:56:20 PM »

Actually I believed that fairy tale too (and really, that such a great rock connoisseur like Lennon could believe it too it is amazing!) but it isn't true. It sure went downhill, but by degrees. And even in a such dire time like the one from 1961 to 1967 he could still produce masterpieces that almost no rocker could produce in a career. The problem is that they were submerged among tons of crap, so the version of Dylan's  Tomorrow is a Long Time (which is to be considered, with Hendrix Watchtower, the best  Dylan rendition) is lost among no value at all songs and you have to go looking for it. But just concede yourself one of those 3 cd I mentioned above and we'll talk about it again.  What you say is history-pills for millions, the truth is different. The best Elvis is, in my opinion, to be found between 1968 and 1970, not in the '50's, though I like that stuff too.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #7 : April 27, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »

1) Stranger in My Own Home Town
2) Long Black Limousine
3) Power of My Love
4) Speedway
5) Wearing That Loved On Look
6) Let Yourself Go (TV Special Version)
7) It Keeps Right on a Hurtin'
8) I'm Movin' On
9) Come All Ye Faithful
10) Good Rockin' Tonight
11) I'll Be Home on Christmas Day
12) Merry Christmas Baby
13) Blue Moon of Kentucky
14) Such A Night
15) It Hurts Me
16) Got My Mojo Workin'
17) Tomorrow is a Long Time
18) Promised Land
19) Trouble (TV Special Version)
20) Guitar Man

"Welcome to my World" is mysteriously missing from your list Titoli.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines