Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:56:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Barry Lyndon (1975)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barry Lyndon (1975)  (Read 17374 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »

Probably a few months ago I watched it recently. Its just a beautiful film I can watch it and get lost in the visuals every time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »

Yeah, it's very visually enjoyable to watch. I don't think that's all there is to it, since it does present an anti-heroic character who's own decision lead to his personal downfall and degeneration. Even so, I wouldn't be able to compare it with any Leone film. Comparing Leone with any director is fruitless, and saying that Kubrick was trying to make a SW with Barry Lyndon is intriguing, but not very accurate. BL is quite simply a period pieece with an anti-heroic character, as depicted in the novel.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »

If you haven't try and watch Tom Jones as a companion piece, its a different style but very effective also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »

Criterion:
•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
•New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as excerpts from a 1976 audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick
•New program about the film’s groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue, as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
•New program about Academy Award–winning production designer Ken Adam with historian Sir Christopher Frayling
•New interview with editor Anthony Lawson
•French television interview from 1976 with Oscar-winning costume designer Ulla-Britt Söderlund
•New interview with critic Michel Ciment
•New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
•New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with art curator Adam Eaker
•PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and two pieces about the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/barry_lyndon_blu-ray.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »

Wow - this looks great. A beautifully shot film.

The interview with Tony Lawson might be interesting too - I remember reading an interview once where he described his role as being little more than "a pair of hands" for Kubrick.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM