Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:27:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I lunghi giorni della vendetta aka Long Days of Vengeance (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I lunghi giorni della vendetta aka Long Days of Vengeance (1967)  (Read 15555 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 05:49:06 AM »

You might have been reading about this one under another name...banjo......there are at least 5 names for this movie...I think there are like...3 in English alone..including just "Days of Vengeance".
Sorry i've just checked and Days of Vengeance is the title Hughes uses-this movie sounds very interesting Smiley

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 01:08:40 AM »

Hey Banjo, Gemma is in prison from the outset of ARIZONA COLT aka MAN FROM NOWHERE and takes up a job for sheriff in WANTED and ONE SILVER DOLLAR. These two have similar storylines but ONE SILVER DOLLAR is the better of the two and a fine action film to boot. Have you seen BEN & CHARLIE? Gemma plays a Trinity type role here and I'm waiting on ALIVE OR PREFERABLY DEAD to arrive as I think this is a TRINITY knockoff also.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:13 AM »

I've seen none of those movies Arizona Colt-thanks for the suggestions.
In his pocket guide Howard Hughes suggests that Fort Yuma Gold is the best of the Ferrino(sorry about speling) trilogy and has an atmosphere similar to GBU!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »

Have you seen BEN & CHARLIE?

Want too. But dont have the cash to spend.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 11:14:42 PM »

If you enjoyed the TRINITY films you may like this too only it turns quite serious at the end when Ben and Charlie have to duel with the three comic book style villains they had sided with earlier in the picture.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »

Just saw this. Very dissappointed. It had a lot of potential but it fails. The only thing worth watching is the climax, a suspenseful hair cut sequence(which we have seen many times in this genre) and a sheriff that uses his badge as a weapon(you will see what I mean). The rest of the film is rather hum drum and boring.  Not total crap but not "good" either. This is something I wouldnt revisit again.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 07:51:19 AM »

Just saw this. Very dissappointed. It had a lot of potential but it fails. The only thing worth watching is the climax, a suspenseful hair cut sequence(which we have seen many times in this genre) and a sheriff that uses his badge as a weapon(you will see what I mean). The rest of the film is rather hum drum and boring.  Not total crap but not "good" either. This is something I wouldnt revisit again.
Thats right try and spoil it for me while i'm waiting for it in the post. Grin
Hopefully it'll be another CWC scenario with this sw where we don't agree with anything! Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 12:39:44 PM »

Hopefully it'll be another CWC scenario with this sw where we don't agree with anything! Wink

I doubt it will be. Its just below mediocre.
a shame.
Gemma's films are always wonderful. This is by far his worst sw.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »

Howard Hughes seemed quite non-commital in a reference to this film during a chapter about Tessaris Ringo films-he mentioned Gemma being unrecognisable with his long hair and beard but saw it as him stretching his Ringo persona.
I'll have to see it to make my own mind up! Roll Eyes

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »

I Lunghi Giorni Della Vendetta (1966)
Long Days Of Vengeance

Directed by:
Florestano Vancini   (as Stan Vance)

Written by:
Augusto Caminito   
Fernando Di Leo   
Mahnahén Velasco   

Cast
Giuliano Gemma ....  Ted Barnett
Francisco Rabal ....  Sheriff Douglas
Gabriella Giorgelli ....  Dulcie
Conrado San Martín ....  Mr. Cobb
Franco Cobianchi ....  General Porfirio
Nieves Navarro ....  Dolly
Manuel Muñiz ....  Pajarito

Original Music by
Armando Trovajoli   

Cinematography by
Francisco Marín   

The memorable main theme of composer Armando Trovaioli’s sole Western score, a slow and stately trumpet soaring over acoustic guitar and rolling percussion,  kicks off 1966’s Long Days Of Vengeance.

As 2 prisoners carry out a daring escape from a harsh, brutal military prison....we get our first look at Ted Barnett......, who, as we discover later,  is serving his 3rd year of a sentence of 30 at hard labor...framed for the murder of an Army Colonel...as part of an elaborate plan involving & including the murder of his father....slave labor..gun running.. & the ownership & control of a railroad.

The story quotes quite clearly from it's inspiration .... "The Count of Monte Cristo". Gemma, as Barnett..looking very much like the imprisoned Edmond Dantes....plots revenge against those who betrayed him.
After making his escape, ...and a not your typical day at the barber shop...he manages to find some helpers for his plan to exact revenge...from a traveling medicine show..who are VERY aware of the $10,000 bounty now on his head.

The only Western directed by Florestano Vancini ........he makes use of a good plot...with definite  noirish elements-- fall guy out for revenge..  the shady former lover , here  played by  Nieves Navarro , as the femme fatale, who may have access to evidence implicating the conspirators............greed,  redemption and payback.
It's a good story...one could see it used in an 40's B&W potboiler...as well as a lean, mean 50s American Western..but here it gets the Spaghetti treatment. ...there's even  a bit of ninja fare thrown in..to good effect, I might add..as it plays into the final showdown..from which some will walk away unbowed, but none will walk away unbloodied.

Of course no Gemma film would be complete without the former stuntman's trademark athleticism.....he shows off his gymnast roots...but this is a slightly darker Gemma...the smile & the humor are there.....but also the grit of an avenger as one by one the conspirators are confronted......as evidenced  by the lengths to which he'll go as he attempts to set the sides up for a fall...and by what  he sets himself up for to carry out his plan.

A good supporting cast....which, untypically for most Italian Westerns, features 2 strong female supporting characters...the fetching Navarro....and a nice turn by Gabriella Giorgelli as the aptly named, sweet but feisty Dulcie...who proves equally adept w/ a guitar or rifle.

The catchy & varied score contains a variety of themes & influences...ranging from Morricone to Toots Thielman's harmonica soundtracks. The stunning main theme --> which can be heard here <--  appeared in Tarantino’s "Kill Bill", during the  “Origin of O-Ren Ishii” anime sequence.

An interesting story..well told.. badly dubbed... nicely filmed....a nice fit somewhere in the middle of anyone's SW collection.

Recommended.
I watched it today and i agree this is a real gem-though not one of the best  (i'd give it 7 out of 10) and the music is superb-confusingly Morricone is given a co-credit on imdb.com Shocked The presense of both Nieves Navarro and the guy who played Morning Glory-both in Tessaris Return Of Ringo together with the fact that Gemma character Ted Barnett "returns" from exile initially unrecognisable reminds me very much of that film-and like Ringo he kinda worms away in the background while reintroducing himself to his former acquaintances.
BTW very accurate and well written review Boardwalk Angel Wink

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:08:17 AM by banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 06:45:43 PM »

I watched it today and i agree this is a real gem-not one of the best  (i'd give it 7 out of 10) and the music is superb-

A shame I cannot call this a gem. The beginning is good with Gemma in prison and his eventual escape but after he gets his hair cut everything sorta  falls apart for me. It becomes really slow and tedious. Yes there are cool things like the sheriff's badge, Gemma's use of a piece of string and Nieves Navarro in the buff(no frontal nudity though  Cry ). The action scenes are stale...take note of the first action sequence where Gemma lazily picks off four guys from a mountain top. Something that could be done in 15 seconds takes almost several minutes. The villains never try to fire back or run away. The climax is only note worthy for...

SPOILER

...the final confrontation between Gemma and the baddie, as the antagonist shoots Gemma's legs several times and finally Gemma flings the sheriff's badge at his throat.

SPOILER END

This(to me) was a dull sw that tries too hard to be special.

The score is note worthy though.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »

I found this to be better than "Return Of Ringo", for example...which I enjoyed..but whose plot was a little stupid...as well as less involved and inferior to "Long Days.....".
In my humble opinion...a better story...better plotted...& not reliant on the "Every 10 minutes..need some action" trap that a lot of SW fall into.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 09:49:43 PM »

I have yet to see a Gemma film I'm disappointed with. I think the point of the opening where the 4 men are shot was to leave the audience a bit puzzled as to what was actually transpiring with the camera slowly panning over the mountain top as the men rode in several directions not knowing where the bullets were coming from. I take back my first statement as Gemma is also in HERCULES & THE SONS OF THE SUN which I didn't care for.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »

I have to agree with FC: all the more so as the italian version I saw clocks at 1h57'. I saw it in three sessions and first 2 I got asleep. Sure, I was back on my sleep but the movie did nothing (nothing) to wake me up after a promising start. The action scenes are lost in a sea of blabbing and are nothing special. Only touch of originality is the tin star trick which ignited something in my memory: maybe I saw this movie in a theatre. I also liked the wardrobe trick. But then is a mystery why Gemma has to don that Rett Butler suit, how can he escape death from the mexicans, be so idiot as to consign himself to the law and risk death and prefer ugly Georgelli to sexy Navarro. (BTW, FC, if you want to see more of Navarro check Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals uncut release).

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:24:15 PM by titoli » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »

(BTW, FC, if you want to see more of Navarro check Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals uncut release).

Thanks. Just for that I might have to change my nomination for "most helpful member" on LA's oscar nom thread.

She was also nude in a film called "orgasmo negro" starring Richard Harrison.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM