Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:15:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SPAGHETTI WESTERN COLLECTION-reviews
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPAGHETTI WESTERN COLLECTION-reviews  (Read 71029 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »

MANNAJA from 1977 is serviceable but is let down by an ending that feels a bit rushed.

Actually I think the film REALLY picks up the last half hour. From the daughters betrayl and on the film becomes a true spaghetti western. What we get before is just a few nice looking action scenes(including the wonderful rock slide sequence) but in between those I think the first hour is rather dull.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »

I meant that for all the nasty things the villain does throughout the course of the film I expected a bit more as the final confrontation is over before before it really begins. If you blink you'd miss it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 09:59:31 PM »

I meant that for all the nasty things the villain does throughout the course of the film I expected a bit more as the final confrontation is over before before it really begins. If you blink you'd miss it.

The hatchet to the chest did seem a little quick to me at first viewing. But once you finish your second viewing you begin to feel more satisfied with it.
(at least he didnt just shoot him. I have seen far to many superb spaghetti westerns where the hero kills the bad guy quickly with one bullet. It leaves the whole awesome event with a bad taste in your mouth).

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 10:01:45 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 05:41:18 PM »

TAKE A HARD RIDE isn't necessarily an italian production as aside from Antonio Margheriti directing and a few crew members it's more or less a US-italian co-production.
I ordered this today from UK Amazon for just under £5 and it sounds great with the likes of Karate champ Jim Kelly who i enjoyed in Enter The Dragon.I really enjoy these Blaxploitation movies of that area and their influence on other movies like Live and Let Die and the Shaft series-maybe they are not very PC because it portrays and stereotypes black people as somehow dangerous especially to us "honkies"† Undecided† †but they always come over as very cool.
I saw Jim Brown in Tick,Tick,Tick which you mentioned a few years ago and its an excellent movie with Brown playing a sheriff who has to deal with all sorts of prejudiced bad guys in his own inimitable way-recommended!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »

the Shaft series

There was only two Shaft movies correct?

Shaft

and

Shaft goes to Africa(or something that involves Africa).

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 11:50:52 PM »

Three. SHAFT, SHAFTS BIG SCORE and SHAFT IN AFRICA

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

Is anybody familiar with any of the Flatfoot series of the 1970's?Flatfoot played by Bud Spencer is a cop who refuses to carry a gun and surprise,surprise relies on his fists instead.I've seen a couple of trailers on the recent Dutch edition of Watch Out,We're Mad and one or two of these movies look like they maybe quite good! Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2006, 06:55:40 PM »

After watching Bud spencer's "It can be done amigo" I think I will stay away from some of his solo outings for awhile.
Except for maybe "Buddy goes west", which has a great soundtrack.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2006, 06:25:55 AM »

Can't really blame Bud Spencer for that movie-he's only as good as the script put in front of him and the quality of the direction etc.
Despite Flatfoots lack of a firearm these movies appear to give Spencer a more serious role than normal,and for his straighter roles i thought he was pretty good in both Five Man Army and Today We Kill Tommorow You Die.
Its lucky we never saw Terence Hill in Little Rita Of The West first-otherwise we wouldn't have seen his other great solo outings! Smiley

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 11:52:53 PM »

After attempting to purchase a handful of these from ebay and subsequently being ripped off for a third time, I've got this boatload of bootlegs on its way. Some of these I'm aware of their classic status. Any opinions or thoughts would be much appreciated.
PISTOL FOR RINGO
RETURN OF RINGO
ADIOS, GRINGO
PRICE OF POWER
THE MERCENARY
AND FOR A ROOF...
HILLS RUN RED
NAVAJO JOE
LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE
ALIVE OR PREFERABLY DEAD
CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES
HELLBENDERS
LONG RIDE FROM HELL-Steve Reeves
7 GUNS FOR THE MACGREGORS
A MAN CALLED KING-Richard Harrison(unfortunately, awesome soundtrack though)
COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF-Anthony Steffen
GOD FORGIVES, I DON"T
A REASON TO LIVE, A PLACE TO DIE-James Coburn, Telly Savalas
BLOOD AT SUNDOWN
FAST HAND IS STILL MY NAME
I'LL SELL MY SKIN DEARLY
HIS NAME IS HOLY GHOST-Gianni Garko
FACE TO FACE
SARTANAS COMING, TRADE YOUR PISTOL FOR A COFFIN
BULLET & FLESH
CHARGE(THOSE DIRTY DOGS)-Gianni Garko
LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH
PROVIDENCE 2
Also the French disc of STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER which was backordered a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I'll be able to watch 4 or 6 of these a week. I already have a stack of around 90 or more discs yet to view. Someday I guess.....

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:30 AM »

Wow,where did you get all these bootlegs from because i haven't seen about 10 of these? Roll Eyes
I'm a bit wary too after a recent bad experience on Ebay and have instead been bartering with people† Wink for new titles which aren't officially available.
† †Obviously from your name Arizona you are a big Giuliana Gemma fan and you are so right about the classic status of both Tessaris Ringo films-both very†influenced by American westerns in style,both immacultately made but with the added spaghetti twist of Morricone(i'm addicted to the Pistol theme!) and violence .I must get a widescreen print of Return of Ringo one day! Of the others from your list starring Gemma is the conspiracy theory one-Price Of Power which i know some guys find a bit too talky-but the deliberate parellels made with the Kennedy assassination for a much earlier president in Wild West times i found quite gripping.Theres a novel gun duel in this one-conducted in pitch black with the only light provided by lighted cigarettes.
Gemma tries his hand at a bit of comedy in And For A Roof but theres some serious stuff as well in Petroni's strange hybrid of a sw but i love this film† mainly for one factor-Morricones absolutely brilliant soundtrack!† Cheesy
† † † †The Mercenary has just come out the winner of our SW League so theres not really more i need to say about that one but i'm glad you've managed to dig up a copy of Tessari's Long Live Your Death which like Corbucci's film features Franco Nero and is very similar in style albeit even more lighthearted.I assume you've got hold of the vhs pan & scan print Arizona but i have seen a DVDr available which apparently has a beautiful widescreen print from a German video but with English audio dubbed over it-i'm intending to pick up a copy myself fairly soon. Roll Eyes
† † †Great to see you managed to pick up a few of the recognised classics Navajo Joe(Burt Reynolds is good,Morricone very good!),Hellbenders(great original storyline and Morricone score!) and Face To Face(easily one of the best! Wink ) and i can't see you being disappointed with those ones.
† † Hills Run Red seems to be very hard to get hold of-mines a Dvdr taken from screening on American TCM but its a terrific sw though like the Ringo films American in style but of the psychological variety ie Antony Mann's James Stewart 50's westerns.Theres some great set pieces here and Henry Silva as the black-clad villain is outstanding.However Morricones score no thrills score here is a bit disappointing by his standards.
† † Isn't that Sartana the one with George Hilton aka Fistful Of Lead?-i like that one apart from Charles Southwood dressed all in white with a pouncy umbrella-too silly even for a Sartana movie.The definative Sartana Mr Gianni Garko stars in Charge! aka Those Dirty Dogs-not one of the best but still alot of fun! Smiley Garko in His Name Is Holy Ghost is very high on my wants so you'd better tell me where you got this from or else! Grin
My version of A Reason To Live A Reason To Die is a crap cut mediocre full screen version but there is enough explosive action and enjoyment in this what should be called The Dirty Half-Dozen of the sw world that i'd love to see this in beautiful widescreen.
† † Cemetery Without Crosses?-well it finished 6th in the SW league-i'll get strung up by Firecracker† Embarrassed but i find this one a bit dull and bleak but its salvation is the wonderful theme tune that recurs throughout.
† † †God Forgives I Don't-i only have a mediocre print but otherwise i was disappointed after seeing its fun sequel Ace High.Fun is definately not how i'd describe God Forgives in any way-overlong and tedious(but still miles better than Boot Hill† Sad )† yes.
† † I love Providence 1-so i'm awaiting your verdict on number 2 and all the others although i'm waiting for Blood at Sundown and Long Days Of Vengeance to arrive in the post any day! Undecided

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 06:41:16 AM »

The Mercenary
Cemetery Without Crosses
Face to Face

The rest I didn't like or haven't seen.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 10:44:50 PM »

The LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH is uncut and LBX as well as REASON TO LIVE... also uncut and LBX. The site is Eurotrash.com. Firecracker gave me the link. It's run by Craig Ledbetter, a very nice guy whom I dealt with about 10 years ago when he used to have his magazine EUROPEAN TRASH CINEMA out. I wasn't aware until recently that he was still in business. Eight of the discs were free. The HOLY GHOST disc is full screen BTW. I already have another list of SWs' I'm curious about as well as a few peplums I haven't seen since I was a kid such as Sergio Corbuccis GOLIATH AGAINST THE VAMPIRES and the 10 GLADIATORS trilogy. You should check out his site.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2006, 05:13:17 AM »

Thanks Arizona i just tried that link but got this! Embarrassed
http://eurotrash.com/
Surely this can't be the one you meant? Shocked

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 05:16:30 AM »

Thanks Arizona i just tried that link but got this! Embarrassed
http://eurotrash.com/
Surely this can't be the one you meant? Shocked

Try this one....
http://eurotrashcinema.com/

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM