Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SPAGHETTI WESTERN COLLECTION-reviews
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPAGHETTI WESTERN COLLECTION-reviews  (Read 71001 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:37:20 PM »

Just viewed the following this weekend-
AND GOD SAID TO CAIN-Nifty little italian oater is unique in several ways. Kinski is a heroic and somewhat noble figure here as I've never seen him play a character like this before. He's pardoned for a crime he did not commit and goes back to the town to even the score with the many individuals who had him put away for 10 years. It's also unique in that nearly the entire movie takes place during a tornado storm which also is symbolic of Kinskis return to the town to settle scores. The villain of the story even refers to Kinskis character as a storm coming to town. Margheriti is in fine form here as opposed to the lackluster VENGEANCE and even adds an air of horror to the proceedings this time out as several characters meet gruesome demises and Margheriti also pulls off some nice shots as well as some good suspense scenes. The only drawback to an otherwise great 95 minutes is that some of the stalking scenes go on a bit too long although it is quite ingenious how Kinski appears and disappears thru trapdoors and caves to pick the men off with ease.
I WANT HIM DEAD-the only Craig Hill movie I've see and it's a pretty solid effort. It's a typical revenge story but with one nice touch. The villains plan to assassinate Generals Lee and Grant at a peace conference to keep the war going between the North and South. Some nice action scenes keep the film moving along at a fair clip. You could do worse.
MAN, PRIDE & VENGEANCE-Never seen a Luigi Bazonni film before and after this one I'd like to see more. Beautifully shot film which obviously had a sizeable budget compared to many other italian westerns. Franco Nero is great here and dubs his own voice. Can't say enough good about this one. To reveal too much about the plot would spoil the many twists in this dramatic and very depressing movie. Although the first 40 minutes bear no resemblance to a spaghetti western and the remainder of the picture never quite makes it onto DJANGO territory(although there are a couple of shoot outs and a spectacular explosion and stagecoach robbery)the dramatics of the story drive the film to its shocking ending. The soundtrack is unique as it's not the typical spaghetti style score and is a bit bombastic. Kinski has a supporting role here as well. If you're looking for mindless gunbattles and no story whatsoever you should steer clear of this one. Highly recommended for those seeking something different for a change.
GENTLEMAN KILLER-While I'm not a fan of Anthony Steffen, this is a solid oater with some nice action scenes and a decent story that appears to be partially recycled from FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. Unexpected ending though helps make this recommended.
JOHNNY ORO(RINGO & HIS GOLDEN PISTOL)-Not sure why this movie gets so much negative press as I found it highly entertaining. Mark Damon, like Guiliano Gemma, is very agile in the many action scenes and  is very good in the role of ORO who has many skills besides the gun. In it, Oro kills all but one of the Perez brothers(because there was no price on his head)who swears revenge and sides with the Apache Indians who want to take back the land stolen from them by the americans. Truckloads of one-liners abound in this one and one helluva' finale close it out. This being a Corbucci movie there are several scenes of, IMO, fairly extreme violence although none committed on the hero as compared to other Corbucci westerns. Much better than MINNESOTA CLAY. This is definitely a popcorn spaghetti as much fun and excitement is to be had here.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:33:52 AM by Banjo » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:21:26 AM »

Excellent mini reviews. All those are already on my want list.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:37:09 AM »

I WANT HIM DEAD is excellent and to me a great introduction to Craig Hill with plot similarities to Hellbenders with one Confederate diehard trying to re-ignite the war -very impressed!I'm looking forward to the Franco Cleef dvd release of Valeriis Taste of Killing also starring Hill.
MAN,PRIDE & VENGEANCE is set in Spain-Franco Nero sports a Spanish Army uniform and thus isn't a western-but it has the feel of a sw(no real gun play though) once Nero and the gypsy girl(Carmen) escape to the Almerian hills in the second half of the movie.Nero's nothing like his Django/Mercenary persona,he plays the soldier(very badly led up the garden path by Carmen!) straight but its a great performance of anguish and romance-a real revelation!Great fingerpicked Spanish guitar flamenco style score too!
This film bears absolutely no relation to the films of the 3 Sergios etc,its a very good movie and story but i'd have to say if it wasn't for Neros performance and the Almerian setting i might not be holding onto my vhs of this!
I have RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL taped off the tv .From the lesser Corbucci films i have i'd rate Oro some way behind both Hellbenders and Navajo Joe but i too prefer it over Minnesota Clay which is a bit too downbeat for me anyway.I agree with some similarities i've read elsewhere with Rio Bravo but this very average sw just isn't in the same class.I'm a fan of Mark Damon(sporting a very wimpy moustache here and carrying a very uncool shiny cigarette holder) but way too much of the movie has him languishing in jail without his golden pistols(his obsession is all things gold-sounds very similar to a Bond villain of the same era Roll Eyes) -his wisecracks alone cannot carry the move-and it badly drags for the main part.The best of the Mexican villains are gunned down very early on leaving only an unconvincing younger brother hellbent on revenge who teams up with a group of the dodgiest looking indians(they don't belong in a sw!) i've seen outside of LVC as Captain Apache Grin.I don't want to ruin what is a very predictable ending but the final gun duel(and the lame idea how  Damon "improvises") is easily the worst i've seen in a Corbucci sw.Its a mildly entertaining sw but very disappointing in its failure to break new ground which Corbucci achieved with his other early sw's.
I badly want And God Said To Cain but i'd need to learn a bit more about Gentleman Killer before taking the plunge!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »

i'd need to learn a bit more about Gentleman Killer before taking the plunge!

They say it is one of Steffen's best. The dvd even has footage of him in his house shortly before he passed on.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »

Still, Franco Cleefs dvd of JOHNNY ORO is uncut and it's a highly enjoyable romp and a lot better than some of the other similar spags out there. I didn't have a problem with the indians nor the very explosive finale where nearly the entire town is blown up. The action scenes were well staged and several scenes of rather startling violence seem somewhat daring for the time period. The film as a whole was very entertaining and whatever inadequacies it may have did not hinder my enjoyment of the picture. Corbucci rules.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 04:52:47 AM »

Still, Franco Cleefs dvd of JOHNNY ORO is uncut and it's a highly enjoyable romp and a lot better than some of the other similar spags out there.
Well i've seen a lot worse i must say and it would be interesting maybe to see Francos dvd at some point.Corbucci does indeed rule and i can highly recommend What Am I Doing In The Middle Of A Revolution to anyone looking for an obscurity!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:03:05 AM »

Yeah, I agree I wish there were a more creative way for Oro to have got his gun to down the villain but such a minor quibble is insignificant, for me anyways. The Bond flick, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN didn't come out until 74.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 05:43:35 AM »

I was referring to Goldfinger from about 1966.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:15 AM »

Never seen GOLDFINGER all the way through. I prefered the Roger Moore Bonds but one day I'll get around to seeing all of Connery's Bonds.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:20:44 AM »

Connery is very possibly the best ever Bond-i know who i'd back in a boxing match between Connery,Moore,Dalton,Lazemby,Brosman and Craig.
     Sounds from what both you and Firecracker tell me that the Bond movies are nowhere near the institution in the USA that they are in the UK.The whole series is forever being shown on British tv. Smiley

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:11 AM »

Sounds from what both you and Firecracker tell me that the Bond movies are nowhere near the institution in the USA that they are in the UK

I would not go as far as to say that, Bond seasons(where they show consecutive Bond titles back to back for an entire weekend) are on at least three or four times a year here. The Franchise is a big thing over here. It is of course the most succesful franchise in history(I think even more so than Star Wars).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 03:51:30 AM »

The last couple of years they've shown all 20 back to back over 20 weeks in the UK-and i'm now anxiously waiting for this years run now i have a DVD Recorder! Smiley
    The more recent Brosman films are all shown very often.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 10:13:25 AM »

The more recent Brosman films are all shown very often.

but they are not worth watching Wink Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »

Depends if you are a big Bond fan or not-they're all pretty consistent!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:03:22 AM »

Just ordered the following-BANDIDOS, MASSACRE TIME, ACE HIGH, LIFE IS TOUGH, EH PROVIDENCE? the blaxploitation-spag hybrid TAKE A HARD RIDE and also the limited edition of THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO which supposedly has missing footage intact. Would that be solely for the german version or the english track as well? Opinions would be appreciated although I already own a dvd for FP I simply wanted the limited edition.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM