Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:37:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Chino aka Valdez, il mezzosangue (1973)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chino aka Valdez, il mezzosangue (1973)  (Read 8920 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »

rented "Chato's Land" yesterday. I'll see it later today. Give you guys some feed back on what I thought and we can discuss it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 11:55:38 AM »

"Chato's Land"

saw it last night. The opening, which has Bronson blowing away a sheriff, promises a great action movie. However it is more of a horror/suspense film(which was fine with me). I like how Bronson is not shown very often, it makes his character all the more menacing. Palance is as good as ever, a shame he is killed off to early though Sad.
The actors that play the baddies Earl and Jubal are great! And you really really hate them! Earl's death was especially satisfying, a shot to the crotch OUCH!

I was a bit let down by the lack of violence though. Banjo you made it seem like it was an all out action/gore fest. You dont really see the act of violence being shown, You see the aftermath of it.

I do have the American cut version though. I heard somewhere that the French cut shows more gore in places like Chato's brother being burnt and some extra T and A that was never on the American release.

Overall very enjoyable film. I like the brutality. Chato doesnt even sympathize with the nicer characters of the posse out to chase him, and the ending is top notch!

way better than "Chino"!

this was filmed In Almeria but I dont think it is a spaghetti western. Could it be considered a euro?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 10:19:55 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069833/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/valdez.htm

This is no SW. Yeah, there are the production, the score and a good part of the direction (I have no clue about this, though) made by italians and Bozzuffi's presence, but the movie is american in conception and style. And a good movie it is, it takes 7\10, maybe even more (yeah, you have Bronson's wife. But an indian girl makes up abundantly for her presence, and how!). The boy of the story it is not a nuisance, on the contrary he's very good. The movie beats an untrodden path and in the end it succedes, resulting quite original in the depiction (never boring) of the ways of allevating horses. 

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »

So.......did you like it?

I've had this movie laying on my shelf for almost three years and never touched it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 12:49:27 AM »

So.......did you like it?

I've had this movie laying on my shelf for almost three years and never touched it.

it sucks

well...this was an interesting film, not interesting in a "good" way though. The movie is such an oddity. It goes against everything the spaghetti genre is about. I dont usually mind change but this was just a change for the worse. The film starts off with a 13 year old kid wandering around in some hills. He finally finds a ranch that belongs to a half indian half hispanic named Chino(Bronson)...

....Now already I was starting to worry because having a young boy as one of the main characters of a spaghetti western is NEVER a good thing...

...Chino allows the "stray" to stay with him for the night. Come morning the boy wants to stay even longer and Chino takes a liking to the boy and hires him to work for him on the ranch. Besides a well done fight scene in the first 15 minutes of the film, the movie is void of any action until the final 10 minutes, making this spaghetti western hard to sit through. There are some interesting bits like Chino taming a wild horse using a whip and Chino nuturing a mother horse while she is giving birth. There is an interesting(or should I say "what could have been interesting") sub plot with Chino falling in love with a wealthy ranchers half sister. The love plot is ruined because the sister is never fleshed out well enough. At first she despises Chino and then all of the sudden she is all over the guy. Which reminds me... their is an interesting(but rather disturbing) love scene in which Chino makes love to the rancher's sister while two horses are getting it on simultaneously in the background  (there is a new one for ya!).
The wealthy rancher gets word of this and has Chino strung up and whipped. The rancher tells Chino to pack up and hit the road or he will come and burn his ranch down. Chino has other ideas and picks his rifle up in a scene that should have been an awesome shoot out after we had to sit through an hour and twenty minutes of horse tending, Christmas tree decorating(yes) and Charles Bronson's nudity, but instead we get a crappy sequence where Chino easily picks off a couple of blokes on top of a high canyon. After killing about 7 of the wealthy rancher's lackies he declares to the rich bastard that he is calling it quits and leaving his home. In what must be the most anti-climactic ending in the history of cinema, Chino gets some fuel and burns his ranch down to the ground. Chino and the young kid go their seperate ways.

For you spaghetti fanatics looking to buy another spaghetti, you can put "Chino" on your "avoid list".

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 06:07:41 AM »

This is no Spaghetti. So whatever expectiation you may have from it as SW is going to be frustrated. 
The problem with the half-sister sub-plot is Jill Ireland, who is just a half-step from Sondra Locke in my list of no-good famous actors wives.
I think that the movie is always interesting and original. May not be dramatically intense, but it never bored me. On the contrary, toward the end I was very curious to know how it was gonna end. And the end it wasn't disappointing but very satisfying, credible.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »

it sucks

well...this was an interesting film, not interesting in a "good" way though. The movie is such an oddity. It goes against everything the spaghetti genre is about. I dont usually mind change but this was just a change for the worse. The film starts off with a 13 year old kid wandering around in some hills. He finally finds a ranch that belongs to a half indian half hispanic named Chino(Bronson)...

....Now already I was starting to worry because having a young boy as one of the main characters of a spaghetti western is NEVER a good thing...

...Chino allows the "stray" to stay with him for the night. Come morning the boy wants to stay even longer and Chino takes a liking to the boy and hires him to work for him on the ranch. Besides a well done fight scene in the first 15 minutes of the film, the movie is void of any action until the final 10 minutes, making this spaghetti western hard to sit through. There are some interesting bits like Chino taming a wild horse using a whip and Chino nuturing a mother horse while she is giving birth. There is an interesting(or should I say "what could have been interesting") sub plot with Chino falling in love with a wealthy ranchers half sister. The love plot is ruined because the sister is never fleshed out well enough. At first she despises Chino and then all of the sudden she is all over the guy. Which reminds me... their is an interesting(but rather disturbing) love scene in which Chino makes love to the rancher's sister while two horses are getting it on simultaneously in the background  (there is a new one for ya!).
The wealthy rancher gets word of this and has Chino strung up and whipped. The rancher tells Chino to pack up and hit the road or he will come and burn his ranch down. Chino has other ideas and picks his rifle up in a scene that should have been an awesome shoot out after we had to sit through an hour and twenty minutes of horse tending, Christmas tree decorating(yes) and Charles Bronson's nudity, but instead we get a crappy sequence where Chino easily picks off a couple of blokes on top of a high canyon. After killing about 7 of the wealthy rancher's lackies he declares to the rich bastard that he is calling it quits and leaving his home. In what must be the most anti-climactic ending in the history of cinema, Chino gets some fuel and burns his ranch down to the ground. Chino and the young kid go their seperate ways.

For you spaghetti fanatics looking to buy another spaghetti, you can put "Chino" on your "avoid list".

Well, looks like it'll continue to sit on my shelf. Sounds like major crap.

In a way, it reminds me of China 9 Liberty 27 which sucked big time.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »

In a way, it reminds me of China 9 Liberty 27 which sucked big time.

You didn't watch the cut version did you?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 10:47:06 PM »

This is no Spaghetti. So whatever expectiation you may have from it as SW is going to be frustrated. 
The problem with the half-sister sub-plot is Jill Ireland, who is just a half-step from Sondra Locke in my list of no-good famous actors wives.
I think that the movie is always interesting and original. May not be dramatically intense, but it never bored me. On the contrary, toward the end I was very curious to know how it was gonna end. And the end it wasn't disappointing but very satisfying, credible.

I have to watch it again because, as you say, I was at the wrong state of mind.
If I see it on encore westerns again I'll give it another look.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »

You didn't watch the cut version did you?

I'm afraid it doesn't fare much better with the nudity either Undecided

Spikeopath
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

Valdez, il mezzosangue.

The Valdez Horses (AKA: Chino and Valdez the Halfbreed) is directed by John Sturges and adapted to screenplay by Clair Huffaker from the novel The Valdez Horses written by Lee Hoffman. It stars Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Marcel Bozzuffi and Vincent Van Patten. Music is by Guido and Maurizio De Angelis and cinematography by Armando Nannuzzi.

Chino Valdez (Bronson), half Indian, half Mexican, lives in solitude on his ranch and beavers away breeding and breaking horses. When one night a 15 year old stray youngster appears at his door looking for bed, board and maybe work, it signals a chain of events that will ultimately define the both of them.

It happens once in a while, a Western fan will observe the mixed notices for a particular genre piece and kind of dismiss it as being far from essential viewing, even if it happens to star an actor you greatly enjoy. The Valdez Horses is a beautiful Western, a thoughtful and reflective genre piece that seems to have been damned by those who got a completely different Bronson movie to the one they was hoping for. Regardless of the question of just how much directing John Sturges actually did on the picture (it's rumoured Italian Duilio Coletti did most of the work), the end result is a mature and engaging piece of entertainment.

It's a film that belongs in the company of Monte Walsh, Will Penny and Lonely Are the Brave, films that feature a macho male protagonist at odds with what is happening around him. In Chino Valdez's case, he's a loner, he likes a drink and he's constantly having to defend himself against the racists down in the town. He's at his happiest when it's just him and his horses, man and beast clearly understand each other. But when young Jamie Wagner (Patten) arrives in Chino's life, the equilibrium is upset, but in a good way, two lost souls finding a family foothold that both thought beyond them.

Yet there is of course a villain of the piece, Maral (Bozzuffi), an all domineering land baron who has absolutely no time of day for the halfbreed horse tamer. Things are further complicated when Maral's half sister comes to town, Catherine (Ireland) is prim and proper British, and immediately there's an attraction between her and Chino, there is just no way Maral is going to sit back and let a relationship develop there. A shame because Chino and Catherine benefit each other greatly, but the vile stink of hatred hovers over them like a black cloud waiting to unload its miserable cargo.

Some old reviews for the film claim its a series of un-cohesive scenes strung together! That really isn't the case at all, the trajectory very much builds towards the next stage of Chino and Jamie's life. Chino introduces Jamie to an Indian tribe, spending time with them and their way of life, even as he ruefully remarks to his young charge that they are a dying breed there's a proud sheen to Chino that's most telling. Chino also takes him out for Xmas celebrations in town with the Mexicans, the young man clearly has never been so happy as he gets shown by Chino that not all the West is rife with bile. While all the scenes with the horses, the breaking in, the riding, the stare downs, are superbly filmed and emphasise the narrative's point of Jamie's further education.

There's some violence, it would after all be a shame to waste Bronson in that way, but this is no Chato's Land and newcomers to the film should be forewarned that it isn't a shoot em' up/fist fights rampage movie. In fact the ending is most unconventional and sure to leave some very frustrated. I know I was initially, but a couple of hours later as I sat down with a glass of wine I pondered on how daring and poignant it was, a real bitter-sweet finale that deftly has you re-evaluating the whole point of the movie. Lovely scenery (Almeria, Spain) helps put the cherry on the cake, and with Bronson on fine form and his chemistry with Ireland and Patten set in stone, this is a far better picture than you may have heard it is. 8/10

A number of DVD releases for it over the years have been very sub - standard, no doubt further pushing it to the back of the queue of must see Bronson Westerns. Thanks to a good on line friend I was put onto the Optimum Region 2 Western Classics release, which thankfully is a good transfer and evidence that you should not accept any cheap PD transfer copy.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM