Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:25:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Chino aka Valdez, il mezzosangue (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chino aka Valdez, il mezzosangue (1973)  (Read 8754 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:51:16 PM »

This John Sturges  "spaghetti" was filmed in Almeria and stars Charles Bronson. this is on tonight on Encore westerns. Right now they are playing the fun spaghetti western "Vengeance".

If my satellite behaves I will watch "Chino" tonight and have a review later this evening.

Edit: the following review should actually be on my "crap review list" but I said I was reviewing it here and dammit I will! No sense in waisting a good thread.

consider this a "crap review" spin-off.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 04:09:59 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »

Review for "Chino"

well...this was an interesting film, not interesting in a "good" way though. The movie is such an oddity. It goes against everything the spaghetti genre is about. I dont usually mind change but this was just a change for the worse. The film starts off with a 13 year old kid wandering around in some hills. He finally finds a ranch that belongs to a half indian half hispanic named Chino(Bronson)...

....Now already I was starting to worry because having a young boy as one of the main characters of a spaghetti western is NEVER a good thing...

...Chino allows the "stray" to stay with him for the night. Come morning the boy wants to stay even longer and Chino takes a liking to the boy and hires him to work for him on the ranch. Besides a well done fight scene in the first 15 minutes of the film, the movie is void of any action until the final 10 minutes, making this spaghetti western hard to sit through. There are some interesting bits like Chino taming a wild horse using a whip and Chino nuturing a mother horse while she is giving birth. There is an interesting(or should I say "what could have been interesting") sub plot with Chino falling in love with a wealthy ranchers half sister. The love plot is ruined because the sister is never fleshed out well enough. At first she despises Chino and then all of the sudden she is all over the guy. Which reminds me... their is an interesting(but rather disturbing) love scene in which Chino makes love to the rancher's sister while two horses are getting it on simultaneously in the background Shocked (there is a new one for ya!).
The wealthy rancher gets word of this and has Chino strung up and whipped. The rancher tells Chino to pack up and hit the road or he will come and burn his ranch down. Chino has other ideas and picks his rifle up in a scene that should have been an awesome shoot out after we had to sit through an hour and twenty minutes of horse tending, Christmas tree decorating(yes) and Charles Bronson's nudity, but instead we get a crappy sequence where Chino easily picks off a couple of blokes on top of a high canyon. After killing about 7 of the wealthy rancher's lackies he declares to the rich bastard that he is calling it quits and leaving his home. In what must be the most anti-climactic ending in the history of cinema, Chino gets some fuel and burns his ranch down to the ground. Chino and the young kid go their seperate ways.

For you spaghetti fanatics looking to buy another spaghetti, you can put "Chino" on your "avoid list".

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:25:55 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:23:03 PM »

For you spaghetti fanatics looking to buy another spaghetti, you can put "Chino" on your "avoid list".
I thought this is a Euro?-please note anyone in the UK with sattelite this movie seems to be screened at least twice a week on one of the freeview channels-i'll have to check it out myself Roll Eyes 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »

i'll have to check it out myself Roll Eyes 

wear a helmet for it, the crap will be hitting you from all sides!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:29:14 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »

I have it on DVD but for some reason never watched it. It never really grabbed my interest, I just recieved the movie as a x-mas present.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »

I have it on DVD but for some reason never watched it. It never really grabbed my interest, I just recieved the movie as a x-mas present.

keep it on your shelf.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:57:38 PM »

wear a helmet for it, the crap will be hitting you from all sides!
I've caught bits of it through channel flicking-looks a bit dull-i don't think Bronson was much cop in any of his movies with the missus-Jill Ireland! Roll Eyes
Firecracker would you add one on for this in your sw count-or is that cheating? Shocked

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »

-or is that cheating? Shocked

I suppose it would be cheating since it is more euro than spaghetti. But the elements are there overall and it was shot in Almeria so...........I am not sure.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 06:01:51 PM »

I suppose it would be cheating since it is more euro than spaghetti. But the elements are there overall and it was shot in Almeria so...........I am not sure.
Maybe i should resurrect the Almost Spaghetti thread to include it-is it an "ugly"?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »

I have'nt seen "Chato's Land" but it looks similar to this.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »

I have'nt seen "Chato's Land" but it looks similar to this.
Chato's Land is a top movie Cheesy with not only Bronson on fine form but also Jack Palance-directed by Michael Winner(he did Deathwish) i believe which accounts for the much more than average violence-Mrs Banjo loathes it!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 06:11:52 PM »

Chato's Land is a top movie Cheesy with not only Bronson on fine form but also Jack Palance-directed by Michael Winner(he did Deathwish) i believe which accounts for the much more than average violence-Mrs Banjo loathes it!

really?

must check this out....

In the mean time have you seen my Death Wish death toll?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 06:14:30 PM »

really?

must check this out....

In the mean time have you seen my Death Wish death toll?
A must i say!
What Deathwish death toll? Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 06:15:20 PM »

What Deathwish death toll? Roll Eyes

figured you would say this. Check the off topic section.

Tim
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »

I'll second Banjo's opinion for Chato's Land.  Bronson is a beast in that one, and Palance is the leader of one of the nastiest posses I've ever seen in a movie, spaghetti or not.

Bronson's character is almost like he's practicing for Death Wish and all its sequels.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM