Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:33:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica and Eastwood
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica and Eastwood  (Read 3515 times)
Cammy87
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »

Hi! I'm new of this forum, and I'm italian, so my english is probabily full of errors, sorry!

I've thought that there are some point in common but also many differences between Harmonica and the man with no name, played by Eastwood in "For a Fistfull of dollars", "For some dollars more" and "The good, the bad and the ugly".
Both are men without name, Charles Bronson is called Harmonica by Cheyenne, but, like Eastwood, he never presents himself.
But Harmonica has a past... we don't now anything about Eastwood past, only some informations.

What do you think about this? Have you find other similies and other differences?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »

Hi! I'm new of this forum, and I'm italian, so my english is probabily full of errors, sorry!

I've thought that there are some point in common but also many differences between Harmonica and the man with no name, played by Eastwood in "For a Fistfull of dollars", "For some dollars more" and "The good, the bad and the ugly".
Both are men without name, Charles Bronson is called Harmonica by Cheyenne, but, like Eastwood, he never presents himself.
But Harmonica has a past... we don't now anything about Eastwood past, only some informations.

What do you think about this? Have you find other similies and other differences?

Welcome to the boards Cammy87! Your English is very good and I look foward to your input to this site.

The main difference between Eastwood and Harmonica in my opinion, although many members might not agree, is that Harmonica is very super-natural. He tends to slide in and out of the picture very abruptly almost like a ghost. I consider him to be an avenging angel of death, there is a lot of evidence that supports my point of view.

Eastwood, on the other hand, is purely human. Just a human who's very good with a gun. He even has a nice side to him underneath the tough-guy persona. Harmonica is just 100% tough guy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:26:40 PM »

yea welcome Cammy87, enjoy!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:51:55 AM »

... Harmonica is just 100% tough guy.
How about 99%?
He shows some tenderness with Jill at times: at the well, he smiles (1rst time in the movie, catch it in slow mo); in the saloon «remarkable woman» reference; when he hands Jill the brush in the tub (smiles for the 2nd time);at Sweetwater when he wonders if she'll be back (shows concern); appears torn at the end (the «someday» remark). Not to mention his concern for Cheyenne in his dying scene (smiles for the 3rd time). It can also be argued that he feels for the unjust executions of Calder Benson, Dave Jenkins et al, as an Angel should. An avenging angel, that is.
PS Concerning all of Harmornica's smiling, it is worth noting the grin he displays when he finally has Frank in his sights at the showdown. No tenderness there. Must be the exception that confirms the rule.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 07:34:25 AM by SeanSeanSean » Logged

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Cardinale14
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »

How about 99%?
He shows some tenderness with Jill at times: at the well, he smiles (1rst time in the movie, catch it in slow mo); in the saloon «remarkable woman» reference; when he hands Jill the brush in the tub (smiles for the 2nd time);at Sweetwater when he wonders if she'll be back (shows concern); appears torn at the end (the «someday» remark). Not to mention his concern for Cheyenne in his dying scene (smiles for the 3rd time). It can also be argued that he feels for the unjust executions of Calder Benson, Dave Jenkins et al, as an Angel should. An avenging angel, that is.
PS Concerning all of Harmornica's smiling, it is worth noting the grin he displays when he finally has Frank in his sights at the showdown. No tenderness there. Must be the exception that confirms the rule.

I totally agree with you. I thought that he's so human that he can't be  "Death" or something like that.
I agree with Cammy too, I had also noticed these similarities between Harmonica and Blondie. This is one of the reasons that Leone is great, his films and his characters aren't stereotyped (does this word exist in English??), they are very subtile.
And the actors are great. I watched The Magnificent Seven  for the second time yesterday and I love it even more than the first time.
Each character has his own story and every actor is perfect in his role.
I thought of another similarity between Harmonica and Blondie : their attitude. Both of them don't talk very much, move slowly (except when they shoot ^^), and are incredibly lucky  Grin (Blondie in the desert in GBU ; Harmonica is saved by Cheyenne in the train scene, when Cheyenne kills all the men)...

I'm new too and my English isn't very good either (I come from Switzerland and I speak French.) I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say  Smiley

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Welcome Cammy! Enjoy yourself here.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM