Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 12:45:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)  (Read 10168 times)
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:15:35 PM »

I saw CP for the very first time a few days ago.  I always
liked the Morricone soundtrack, which is why I probably rented this film.  The film was great if you are into
ones that are oozing with nostalgia. I highly recommend
it. It won the '89 best foreign film oscar.
The final scene with Salvatore viewing the bequeathed kiss montage
is unbelievably moving. Any other opinions on this
film?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 06:21:30 PM by geoman-1 » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 09:02:48 PM »

I agree great film

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:40:24 AM »

Oooh it's a shamelessly schmalty film all right, horribly manipulative. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. First time I saw it at the movies I loved it. Second time I was utterly immune to it's charms. Now I'm a bit of a fan again, possibly having got to know Italy so well in recent years.

I especially love the outdoor cinema by the sea.

It does own great debts to Fellin's AMACORD though. Morricone provides yet another superb and memorable score.

DeZuniga
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »

I haven't seen the newer extended version yet... how does this compare to the original? Is it overly anti-climactic (as I've heard)?

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:21:29 PM »

I haven't seen the newer extended version yet... how does this compare to the original?

I had forgot there were two versions! First and last time I saw it, it was the one that runs around 120 minutes. I'm sure now the time I watched it and didn't like it at all was the extended cut.

Same thing happened with the extended version of BETTY BLUE round about the same time, which ruined that film forwever for me. At least I can still get some enjoyment from the Sicilian movie. Hell, the first picture we see the kids watching in the titular movie theatre is John Ford's STAGECOACH. Quite apt for this forum.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:21:10 AM »

There are two kinds of people, my friend, those who like Cinema, and those who like Cinema Paradiso........

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

Ouch... Sad

Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »

I haven't seen the newer extended version yet... how does this compare to the original? Is it overly anti-climactic (as I've heard)?

I saw the two-hour version originally at the cinema and then on video. I considered it to be a superb movie. Subsequently, I bought the DVD of the Director's cut which is about 50 minutes longer. Opinions will always differ on which version is "best" but, without giving any spoilers, the longer version is much more revealing, intriguing, thought-provoking and, for me, casts a bit of a shadow on one of the main characters. For those reasons I prefer the longer version by some distance.

BTW, the DVD release has the shorter version included on a separate disc and the puzzling thing for me is that the short version is 16:9 but the long version is only 14:9. Now why would they do that?

Jon0
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »

I saw it at the video store and remember'd seeing it on somebody's favorite films list a while ago....almost got it. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow Smiley

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 02:15:31 AM »

This is a masterpiece. I just adore this film. It's not only about the love of cinema but life, love, and friendship. It's absolutely terrific. I just watched it tonight again and it just gets better with age. It's a film I will never forget and never get sick of talking about.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 02:43:21 PM »

Did you watch the 180 min. version, TB?

I agree completely, CP is one of my favorite movies. I will never understand how such a sweet, touching movie can garner such hate, especially when it's one of the most Leone-esque films I've seen. The 3 hour version is vastly superior to the 120 Harvey W. cut.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »

Did you watch the 180 min. version, TB?

I agree completely, CP is one of my favorite movies. I will never understand how such a sweet, touching movie can garner such hate, especially when it's one of the most Leone-esque films I've seen. The 3 hour version is vastly superior to the 120 Harvey W. cut.

Film lovers who put this down are not film lovers to me. They're full of sh*t and then some. How could anybody hate this film, especially a LEONE fan? It's pure magic. To answer your question, I have yet to see the extended vesion. From what I read though, a lot of people prefer the regular version though. I need to see it though.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »

In view of the comments, I think I have to watch this one.  Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

Film lovers who put this down are not film lovers to me. They're full of sh*t and then some.
I am not full of sh*t and then some. If you are so wrong about that, what else are you wrong about?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »

Jeez, I think i'm the first person in this thread to just think this is pretty good.

No strong feelings one way or the other.

I can see why some people love it and I can see why an ol' coot like DJ loathes it.

DJ's opinionated but he sticks to his guns and makes the board interesting.  What would this site be if there wasn't somebody to remind us "Why the Searchers Sucks?"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM