Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 10:25:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)  (Read 10633 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

What would this site be if there wasn't somebody to remind us "Why the Searchers Sucks?"

Then I'd have to go to IMDB and ask Mounty to come pay us a visit. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »

I am not full of sh*t and then some. If you are so wrong about that, what else are you wrong about?

Well, I'm not wrong about CP and I was just reminded that you hate The Searchers.  Grin

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »

Ooooh yes. Glad I didn't waste my money on any of the previous BD releases:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cinema-Paradiso-Blu-ray/83857/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »

Ooooh yes. Glad I didn't waste my money on any of the previous BD releases:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cinema-Paradiso-Blu-ray/83857/

they're putting both versions on one disc? that's great

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »

I loved Cinema Paradiso  (and I did not like The Searchers, though I loved all of John Ford's other famous Westerns).

There were a lot of problems with CP, but I still thought it was a great movie - not perfect, but great. I am talking about the longer version, btw. Subsequently, I saw the short version, but by that time, I knew all the missing scenes in my head, so nothing was really ambiguous or unexplained to me.

IMO, the proper way to see this (if you are gonna see both versions) is to first see the short version, and then see the long version. Once you see the long version, it basically "ruins" the short version for you.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »

they're putting both versions on one disc? that's great

Sounds like this new BD is going to be something special:

On the upcoming Cinema Paradiso, manual fine-tuning was done to retain as much of the finely coloured film grain as possible, which results in the final image appearing as subjectively as "colourful" as the original negative, especially when viewed on a large-screen TV or projector.

http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.com/2013_11_01_archive.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »

I just happened to look at Barnes and Noble's website, and the BRD (short version) and DVD (long version) are each selling for $4.99

But if a new BRD is coming out soon that has both versions, I guess I'll just wait for that

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »

Just ordered the new Blu-ray, which contains the long and the short versions, and like Novecento I'm glad I didn't purchase the previous BD.

Amazon have promised that I'll get it on the release date -  December 16, 2013.   Smiley

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:56:32 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »

blu-ray.com says this blu-ray disc's aspect ratio is 1.85:1... If that information is correct, I definitely will not be buying this disc; the movie is supposed to be in 1.66:1. I think I'll just buy the brd of the short version and the dvd of the long version. Combined cost probably won't be any more than this new two-version brd

------

how many different versions of the movie are there? I know there is the short version that was available on original American release, at like 124 minutes, and then they later released the long version that was 174 minutes. But looking at different dvd's on Amazon, I also see that there's a dvd listed at 155 minutes, and DVD Beaver says the Australian dvd is 167 minutes...

I know that Amazon is very unreliable when it comes to listing running times. I'm just wondering, what's the deal with that - are there really any international versions other than the 124 minutes and 174 minutes?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:13:09 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »

blu-ray.com says this blu-ray disc's aspect ratio is 1.85:1...

That's almost certainly incorrect. Their previous single disc release was apparently in the OAR and here are the specs of the new one from their website with the correct OAR:

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/cinema-paradiso-25th-anniversary-remastered-edition/#details

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »

...how many different versions of the movie are there? I know there is the short version that was available on original American release, at like 124 minutes, and then they later released the long version that was 174 minutes. But looking at different dvd's on Amazon, I also see that there's a dvd listed at 155 minutes, and DVD Beaver says the Australian dvd is 167 minutes...

I know that Amazon is very unreliable when it comes to listing running times. I'm just wondering, what's the deal with that - are there really any international versions other than the 124 minutes and 174 minutes?

It's a while since I saw the movie or entered into discussions about it but, ignoring PAL speed up and odd minutes etc,  I think there are basically 3 versions:

It was originally released in Italy at 155 minutes, poor box office performance in Italy led to it being shortened to 124 minutes for international release, then in 2002  the director's cut 174 minute version was released.

Wikipedia and Peter Bondanella's book "Italian cinema: from neorealism to the present" support this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_Paradiso#Release

I watched the long (174 minute version) first on my own.  The following day I viewed it again with my wife.  Since she's not really into long films or subtitled foreign movies, we viewed the short version and I had to then spend the rest of the day explaining what was happening.  I know that some prefer the shorter version but for me, having seen the longer version first, I don't have any interest in the short version and that is the main reason I didn't get the previous Blu-ray.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:57:34 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »

I watched the long (174 minute version) first on my own.  The following day I viewed it again with my wife.  Since she's not really into long films or subtitled foreign movies, we viewed the short version and I had to then spend the rest of the day explaining what was happening.  I know that some prefer the shorter version but for me, having seen the longer version first, I don't have any interest in the short version and that is the main reason I didn't get the previous Blu-ray.

yeah, the short version may be great before you see the longer version. But if you see the longer version first, then the short version is kinda dumb for you, cuz you know about what else is happening even though it's not being shown to you  Wink As I've said before, you have to first see the short one then the long one. Once you see the long one, it's too late to see the short one.

RE: the versions: so the 124 minute and 174 minute versions have been released in America, and the 155 minute version has only been released in Europe?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »

Looks like I should definitely order a copy of this one:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cinema-Paradiso-Blu-ray/83857/#Review

Thinking of ordering "The Long Goodbye" at the same time...

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »

Thinking of ordering "The Long Goodbye" at the same time...

Is there a blu-ray coming out?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM