Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:29:50 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso aka Cinema Paradiso (1988)  ( 12089 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #30 : December 26, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/the_long_goodbye_blu-ray.htm

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #31 : December 27, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

sweeeeeeeeeeeet. too bad its Region B. Soon enough we'll get it...EH CRITERION???

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #32 : April 06, 2015, 03:10:54 AM »

Has anyone seen this Two Disc Deluxe Edition? http://goo.gl/lO6wnB

Does it have the 124-minute and 174-minute versions?

(The reason I ask is that on the Amazon page I linked to above, it says the running time of this dvd is 155 minutes. As discussed in previous posts, there is a 155-minute version out there, though possibly not in America; I believe the versions available in America are 124 and 164, right? Also, the specifications listed for a DVD on Amazon are very often unreliable. Therefore, when it says here that you have the theatrical version and the director's cut, I assume that means the 124 and the 174; I just wanna make sure before I buy. Can anyone confirm the length of the two versions of this disc?)

--

this is only regarding Region 1/A: My understanding is that there is a 174-minute DVD, and this Deluxe Edition DVD with both versions, and a 124-minute BRD. Which means that the 174-minute version is not yet available on BRD. Is this correct? Or is there another Region 1/A version of this movie on DVD/BRD that I am unaware of?
And are all Region 1/A DVD/BRD's of this movie in the correct 1.66:1 aspect ratio?

Thanks  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #33 : April 06, 2015, 05:29:28 AM »

Has anyone seen this Two Disc Deluxe Edition? http://goo.gl/lO6wnB

Does it have the 124-minute and 174-minute versions?

(The reason I ask is that on the Amazon page I linked to above, it says the running time of this dvd is 155 minutes. As discussed in previous posts, there is a 155-minute version out there, though possibly not in America; I believe the versions available in America are 124 and 164, right? Also, the specifications listed for a DVD on Amazon are very often unreliable. Therefore, when it says here that you have the theatrical version and the director's cut, I assume that means the 124 and the 174; I just wanna make sure before I buy. Can anyone confirm the length of the two versions of this disc?)

--

this is only regarding Region 1/A: My understanding is that there is a 174-minute DVD, and this Deluxe Edition DVD with both versions, and a 124-minute BRD. Which means that the 174-minute version is not yet available on BRD. Is this correct? Or is there another Region 1/A version of this movie on DVD/BRD that I am unaware of?
And are all Region 1/A DVD/BRD's of this movie in the correct 1.66:1 aspect ratio?

Thanks  :)

This is the one I own, and it contains both the theatrical and extended (124 and 174). I dunno why it lists a 155 minute one. Just buy this and put the extended cut in the microwave.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #34 : April 06, 2015, 05:33:44 AM »

This is the one I own, and it contains both the theatrical and extended (124 and 174). I dunno why it lists a 155 minute one. Just buy this and put the extended cut in the microwave.

if you don't like the extended cut, you may as well buy the BRD rather than buying this double-version DVD.

Good to know that i can get both versions on this one DVD set.

Truth is, as discussed previously, once you see the longer version first, the short version is sorta ruined. Cuz you're watching a movie with lotsa stuff left out and you really know the details that aren't filled in but you know they should be there. I watched the long version then the short one, once each. If I ever watch the movie again it'll probably have to be the long version. Neither version is perfect, but I think watching the short version would be too weird knowing all the stuff that's not there.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #35 : April 07, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »

if you don't like the extended cut, you may as well buy the BRD rather than buying this double-version DVD.

The region B Blu-ray with both cuts is far superior to the old region A and region B ones with only the one cut:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cinema-Paradiso-Blu-ray/83857/

« : April 07, 2015, 06:14:27 PM Novecento »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #36 : April 07, 2015, 08:33:29 PM »

Perhaps, but not all of us have region-free BRD players ;)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #37 : March 12, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »

It's finally coming to the US of A! A BRD boxset with both versions of Cinema Paradiso will be released on March 21, 2017

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/cinema-paradiso-se-bd

I pre-ordered it on Amazon (currently $27.99)

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #38 : March 12, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »

Wow that took a while - I bought the UK release years ago....

Meanwhile Tornatore's latest, "La corrispondenza", doesn't seem to have been released in any English speaking territory (theatrical or home video) in spite of being filmed in English.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #39 : March 26, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »

It's finally coming to the US of A! A BRD boxset with both versions of Cinema Paradiso will be released on March 21, 2017

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/cinema-paradiso-se-bd

I pre-ordered it on Amazon (currently $27.99)

Just a reminder - the BRD has officially been released.

Current price is $24.94

The official release date was March 21, but I still have not received the BRD - Amazon says  I may receive it anytime from March 27 -March 31.  Several of my recent Amazon shipments were delayed, – they said it was due to the recent huge snowstorm on the East Coast. They should really honor the price lock-in until my item ships! If it drops after  The release date but before they actually ship it, they should honor the lower price. It's only about a $2.50 difference, but maybe I should harrass them - it's the principal of the matter! They are late in shipping and should honor the lowest price until they ship it. (And  when I finally receive it, I'll probably put it on my shelf and not watch it for a long time. This is a great movie, but a very emotional one, which takes a serious emotional commitment. Cannot be watched too frequently  :))

« : March 27, 2017, 05:46:46 PM drinkanddestroy »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #40 : March 27, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

This is one of my favorite movies, but I've put off rewatching it for several years. It was personal to me for several reasons and I fear watching it again in case it doesn't have that same impact on me... like, what if toto watched alfredos film for him and felt nothing?

Shits deep

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #41 : November 14, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

I just watched the BRD - the long version. (I’ve previously seen each version once, a few years ago).

Can anyone list all the scenes left out of the long one? I don’t remember the short one well enough to remember what is left out of it; I just checked around a little online.

Is this correct? just a guess combines with reading a little online - can anyone confirm if this is correct?

I assume the short version has all the childhood scenes. It deletes the scene where the bus doesn’t come with Elena and Toto and Elena are torn apart - but how much of the relationship between teenaged Toto and  Elena does it show? Does it actually show them being in love and being torn apart? Or in this version, is Elena basicaly just a myseterious girl that Toto captures on a video camera?

In the adult scenes, I know that the short version conpletely deletes the meeting between Toto and Elena. So there is nothing about how Alfredo betrayed him, nothing about them reconnecting as adults, and nothing about how Toto has spent the past 30 years crying for Elena.

What about all the chit-chat between adult Toto and his mother?

Seems to me that the long version is a lot about life’s pains and tragedies, whereas the short version is really about nostalgia.

You could argue that the long version is way too schmaltzy, but then again, it may also be more true to life in certain ways: the people that we love the most may sometimes betray us in the worst possible way: we are left wondering whether Alfredo totally screwed Toto’s life, or did Toto the biggest favor, by tearing Elena away from him; Toto always loved Alfredo, but perhaps hates him now also. Similarly, Alfredo was right to push Toto to leave the village and make a good life for himself, but was he correct that Toto must NEVER return tobthe town? The fact is that it is Alfredo’s fault that Toto was really not close to his family. Now he’s a rich and famous filmmaker but probably without a fulfilling life. Would it really have hurt Toto to come back to the town and visit once a year? Would that have prevented him from being a “success”? Perhaps Toto would have been best off NOT having admired and listened to Alfredo so much ...

So, in the short version Elena is mysterious, but in the long version Alfredo is more ambiguous .....

I’d appreciate if anyone can confirm the differences between the two versions. Thanks :)

Anyway,  next time I watch the movie will be the short version. But I’ll have to wait at least five years so that I will forget everything in the long version  ;)

« : November 15, 2017, 11:19:13 AM drinkanddestroy »

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #42 : November 16, 2017, 02:20:55 PM »

Can't confirm the differences, but also can't resist responding to any post about the greatest living director on the planet :D

The one thing I can say for absolute unequivocal certainty is that if you have never seen the film before, you should definitely not watch the director's cut under any circumstances.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #43 : November 16, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »

Can't confirm the differences, but also can't resist responding to any post about the greatest living director on the planet :D

The one thing I can say for absolute unequivocal certainty is that if you have never seen the film before, you should definitely not watch the director's cut under any circumstances.

There is also an Italian cut that’s like 155 minutes, released before either of the international versions - and it flopped in Italy. I’ve seen some discussions of the differences between the 124 and 174, but never the 155.

I wouldn’t say people should not watch the 174-minute version. Some people like it better. But definitely, you should watch the 124 first. Once you watch the 174, the 124 will be “ruined.”

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #44 : November 16, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »

Yes you absolutely have to watch both - it's still all directed by Tornatore; ergo well-worth watching - but just in the correct order.

: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines