Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:07:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Was The Man With No Name Andean?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was The Man With No Name Andean?  (Read 2071 times)
redrock
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »

I just returned from the Andes in South America and I saw and heard many strong parallels with The Man With No Name. I wonder if Sergio Leone deliberately borrowed the music and clothing of the Andean natives (Quechua) to use as the signature look and sound of The Man With No Name.

For example I was surprized to learn that the Andeans invented the Poncho hundreds of years ago. The Quechua people to this day still make and wear ponchos through the process of weaving llama wool yarn onto a back-strap loom. I saw the peasants in their homes making these! The infamous poncho worn by Eastwood in the film is definately a traditionally patterned Andean poncho, not Spanish or Mexican. The "serape" is the traditional dress of the Spanish and Mexican and is not a poncho, but rather a folded blanket worn over the shoulder.

The music played whenever The Man With No Name comes on the screen is also decidedly Andean. The Quechua are expert flutists. They play a wide variety of flutes including the pan pipe which  produce an array of sounds. Amazingly enough, the higher pitched flutes sound like a man whistling. Whenever Eastwood is being introduced back on the screen, there is a signaure "whistle" sound followed by a flute or pan pipe. The notes and the pattern of notes played for The Man With No Name are also distinctively Andean.  I read recently that Morricone, the composer of the soundtrack for the Trilogy often used a band that played Andean music.

Does anyone know the background of why Leone or Morricone would use the iconography of the Andes for the anti-hero of the Trilogy?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 09:51:15 AM »

I just returned from the Andes in South America and I saw and heard many strong parallels with The Man With No Name. I wonder if Sergio Leone deliberately borrowed the music and clothing of the Andean natives (Quechua) to use as the signature look and sound of The Man With No Name.

For example I was surprized to learn that the Andeans invented the Poncho hundreds of years ago. The Quechua people to this day still make and wear ponchos through the process of weaving llama wool yarn onto a back-strap loom. I saw the peasants in their homes making these! The infamous poncho worn by Eastwood in the film is definately a traditionally patterned Andean poncho, not Spanish or Mexican. The "serape" is the traditional dress of the Spanish and Mexican and is not a poncho, but rather a folded blanket worn over the shoulder.

The music played whenever The Man With No Name comes on the screen is also decidedly Andean. The Quechua are expert flutists. They play a wide variety of flutes including the pan pipe which  produce an array of sounds. Amazingly enough, the higher pitched flutes sound like a man whistling. Whenever Eastwood is being introduced back on the screen, there is a signaure "whistle" sound followed by a flute or pan pipe. The notes and the pattern of notes played for The Man With No Name are also distinctively Andean.  I read recently that Morricone, the composer of the soundtrack for the Trilogy often used a band that played Andean music.

Does anyone know the background of why Leone or Morricone would use the iconography of the Andes for the anti-hero of the Trilogy?

The poncho was Eastwood's idea. He picked it up at a costume shop in Hollywood. He also bought the black levis there and took his boots from Rawhide

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM