Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 08:16:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Tuco in the Cave" location
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Tuco in the Cave" location  (Read 2205 times)
Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »

I visited the "Tuco in the Cave" location while I was in Rome tidying up a few loose ends for my book project (www.gbu-book.net). As pointed out by Tonino Delli Colli (in the interview made by Mario Marsilli), and confirmed by Giancarlo Santi (assist. dir.), the scene was shot at "Grotte di Salone", located immediately adjacent to the Autostrada Roma-L'Aquila (A-24). The site is basically in Salone (north-east Rome), in the wedge/area formed by the Autostrada Roma-L'Aquila, Via di Salone and Via Case Rosse. Like a lot of Leone locations, this location has also turned into a construction site! Coming from where the Via di Salone crosses the Autostrada Roma-L'Aquila, I had to cross a couple of fences, struggle through tall vegetation and rubbish etc to get to the caves. However, when I finally got to the destination, I was "greeted" by a bunch of (probably mostly, if not solely) Romanian workers, who looked quite perplexed as I approached them. I explained with the aid of DVD images, other comparison photos etc that I wanted to take photos of the Tuco in the Cave scene as it looks today. At first things looked promising . . . They directed me to their boss, who essentially said, "no photo". He was generally a pretty unpleasant character. Someone else at the site told me that I would need to get permission from the minister of culture in Rome or something similar before I could take photos. I am a little sceptical but perhaps that is the case. The location is nothing attractive by any means. Apparently, the caves were formed by the Romans, who used the stone to build the Colosseum.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:42:28 PM by Hanley » Logged
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »

Thanks for the latest news.

It's a shame you couldn't get any photos...officialdom strikes again eh.

Beebs
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:58:27 AM »

Cool! That would be a neat location to go to. Whats the latest on the book due date?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM