Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:13:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride the High Country (1962)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride the High Country (1962)  (Read 17495 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 07:28:51 PM »

Yea, the final gunfight is a good one I'll give it that.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 03:47:56 PM »

Peckinpah's mining community in this film is memorable for its spirited and dangerous atmosphere, with its one true gold mine being the whorehouse... The madam is a cheerful nightmare, and hidden in a corner is a drunken judge (Edgar Buchanan), with a bottle of whiskey, who comes alive only to remind us that people change... Wink

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »

I was fortunate enough to see this film  in its big screen glory in a Church!!...of all places...thanks to a terrific weekly  film program run by a Western movie lover.

It sure has a history of shoddy treatment. When it was released, it was dumped onto the bottom half of double bills........& a proper DVD treatment is still awaited. (Consider the dreck that IS available).

It was filmed...as well as set in California....significantlly not Texas..not Oklahoma...not Kansas..etc........but the last stop..the end..as far as you can go..the "end of the West".......befitting one of the important themes in the film.

"Ride the High Country " needs to be restored & given the proper DVD treatment that it deserves.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Tim
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 10:47:56 PM »

Quote:"Ride the High Country " needs to be restored & given the proper DVD treatment that it deserves.

Among several other Peckinpah movies I can think of.  Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Ballad of Cable Hogue, and Cross of Iron.  I know I'm missing some, but I can't think of them now.

Hopefully, these movies will be in that rumored Peckinpah boxed set in spring 2006.

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 06:06:47 AM »

The excellent MAJOR DUNDEE disc that was just released last week was originally prepared as part of the rumored Peckinpah box set. It was a loan-out title because it belongs to Columbia, whereas the box set is an MGM project. The loan-out deal fell through, though, so Columbia proceeded with its own version, currently in stores.

If you listen carefully during the DUNDEE commentary track (recorded by the same group of Peckinpah biographers who recorded the commentary for THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND and ALFREDO GARCIA), you hear them refer to the other discs in the (non-existent) set, as if we already had the PAT GARRETT and CABLE HOGUE discs in our hot little hands.

As for RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, there was an excellent letterboxed laserdisc version of it a few years ago, and one of the cable channels has been running it letterboxed lately. This usually betokens an imminent DVD version....

Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 09:55:03 AM »

As a matter of fact if anyone out there has the HD Movie channels, they have been running a beautiful widescreen version of "Ride The High Country" as of late, and I had recorded the HD restored version of "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" off of the network last year.
I am attempting to transfer them over to dvd this week, so let me know if anyone is interested.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
Concorde
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 04:09:07 AM »

... I had recorded the HD restored version of "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" off of the network last year.

Hey, I'm definitely interested in hearing how the transfer goes.  Wink

Tell me, does the restored GARRETT include the scene between Pat Garrett and his wife, which is missing from the "restored" VHS videotape (but present in the broadcast TV cuts)?

John Hodson
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 03:43:08 AM »

The excellent MAJOR DUNDEE disc that was just released last week was originally prepared as part of the rumored Peckinpah box set. It was a loan-out title because it belongs to Columbia, whereas the box set is an MGM project. The loan-out deal fell through, though, so Columbia proceeded with its own version, currently in stores.

If you listen carefully during the DUNDEE commentary track (recorded by the same group of Peckinpah biographers who recorded the commentary for THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND and ALFREDO GARCIA), you hear them refer to the other discs in the (non-existent) set, as if we already had the PAT GARRETT and CABLE HOGUE discs in our hot little hands.

As for RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, there was an excellent letterboxed laserdisc version of it a few years ago, and one of the cable channels has been running it letterboxed lately. This usually betokens an imminent DVD version....

The box set is a Warners project (they own all MGM studio produced titles prior to 1985 IIRC); had it been MGM, and had they had the rights, there would have been no problems. Sony, which owns the Columbia back catalogue, recently bought Leo the Lion, lock, stock and roar.

It's no surprise the Peckinpah posse have been discussing the other titles - they have been busy recording extras for the Warners box...

Sony/MGM could still produce their own Peckinpah box; Junior Bonner, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, Killer Elite, Major Dundee.

John Hodson
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 04:50:49 AM »

Heads up chaps - The Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection is coming January '06  Grin

Concorde
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 04:52:54 AM »

Grin

Oooooooh, man, that is such GREAT news!!

Cat Stevens
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 02:40:38 PM »

I saw that this was on TCM a short while back, but passed on watching it in anticipation of the DVD.  I haven't seen it in several years and want my first new viewing to be a pristine one. Smiley

Concorde
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 06:03:22 AM »

Wink

That's a good plan!

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 10:57:17 AM »

For those who don't want to wait for the January DVD release (yay!!)........tune to Turner Classic Movies at..or set your recorders for---> 11:45 PM...Thursday...Nov.3 (tomorrow).

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »

Dang, I wish I hadn't missed recording this.  My wife hasn't seen Ride the High Country, though I've spoken of it often.  It's one of those underappreciated classics, often overshadowed by Peckinpah's later, bloodier work.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 10:35:17 AM »

I cant wait till that Peckinpah set is in my hands  Cool

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM