Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:53:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride the High Country (1962)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride the High Country (1962)  (Read 17194 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 02:25:06 AM »

I don't tend to watch the oldie American westerns but after hearing Sam Peckinpah directed this one i felt compelled to watch this on UK TCM and it didn't disappoint!I also found out i was a bit of a Randolph Scott fan and now i've been trying to catch up on all 7 westerns he did with Bud Boeticher(please excuse the spelling) in the 1950's.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 06:49:57 AM »

Heres a review for the excellent Sam Peckinpah's
The Legendary Westerns Collection
DVD boxset from Warners http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1860peck.html

I've got my order in for it, I can't wait to get it!

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tim
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »

Well, not that I needed another reason to be more excited about the Peckinpah box set, but I'm really excited about getting this next Tuesday.  I've seen three of the four and I've heard good things about Cable Hogue.

And I finally get to see PGABTK in widescreen!  Thanks for the link Leone admirer!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 05:11:49 AM »

Yea I'll probably pick up PGABTK and Cable Hogue seperately, have the Wild Bunch, don't care much for owning Major Dundee seen it too many times and seen Ride the High Country.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »

cigar joe, I don't believe Major Dundee is included in the Peckinpah boxed set.  I think its just 4 films, Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Cable Hogue, and Ride the High Country.  Or at least I thought so.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 11:24:56 AM »

It doesn't include Major Dundee, the pleasure of which I had, seeing it in the cinema this autumn. I'm not sure if I would own it on DVD though.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

Yes, You are right my mistake.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »

Enjoyed my 5th viewing of "Ride The High Country" tonight...1st time I've seen it on DVD...it just never gets old.
Chills up & down my spine at "I just want to enter my house justified"......& that great shot of Steve Judd as he says it.
One of the best finales ever...& such a great ending...tears well up and I murmur "Oh..man".
Edgar Buchanan is a treasure.
And, of course, Divine was great as big Kate. Wink  Tongue

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 05:41:54 AM »

I love this film, both Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea are excellent and as a western this is a much more moving,better paced and entertaining western than any of the other three Peckinpah westerns i've seen- Major Dundee,Wild Bunch and Pat Garett & Billy the Kid.Why did Peckinpah have to try and emulate all the violent stuff from the spaghetti's in the latter two-it just comes over as tedios,gratuitous and lacking the style of the Italian directors and boy do both these movies severely drag-it makes DYS come over as positively cheerful!!!
The actors involved-Coburn,Kristopherson,Heston,Oates,Dylan are the only reason i tune into a Peckinpah movie post-Ride The High Country.

Tim
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »

I've said it before, but I'm a big Peckinpah fan so I may be biased, but here goes.  I don't think Peckinpah borrowed so much from the first round of spaghettis concerning violence.  Take Major Dundee for example.  The action sequences are basically The Wild Bunch without blood squibs.  Think of LQ Jones' death in the river battle with the French and if it had been done in a close-up instead of the master shot that was used.

And I'm not denying the spaghettis were violent, just in a different way from Peckinpah westerns.  With the exception of some torture scenes in various spaghettis, the violence is pretty tame, I.E. someone gets shot and they fall down.  The Wild Bunch was one of the first movies to use the squibs to show what someone getting shot might actually look like. 

I just finished a bio about Peckinpah.  TWB was the best and worst thing to happen to him.  Because it was so successful, audiences expected the same violence in all his future movies.  That's why Junior Bonner, B of Cable Hogue didn't do well.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »

Peckinpah worked and directed in TV Westerns, re-inventing the genre somewhat in the shows he worked on. I thinkt his obviously is one of the guiding lights in changing the film genre of the western for him.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »

Watched the dvd. Reservations about Ron Starr. But also about McCrea: I don't like his rubicond face and his potbelly.  But then the finale makes me love him too. P.'s other westerns weren't as perfect as this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 07:57:36 AM »

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZC5t4Ews0&feature=PlayList&p=4EEA6CFAA79DF9BC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »

Watched the dvd. Reservations about Ron Starr. But also about McCrea: I don't like his rubicond face and his potbelly.  But then the finale makes me love him too. P.'s other westerns weren't as perfect as this one.

I agree with you on Starr, he's pretty obnoxious here.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »

A masterpiece. I only wish it was longer.  Thats how good it is.  Everything was on point.  The cinematography. The script. The acting. The music. All very good. I rate this a 9 out of 10...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM