Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:25:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride the High Country (1962)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride the High Country (1962)  (Read 17537 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:18:42 PM »

Has there ever been an actor other than Randolph Scott whose best film was his last?  Peckinpah's second film ranks with his best. Beautiful photography (Lucian Ballard) and muscical score (George Bassman) along with a terrific and touching finale.

KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 08:42:26 PM »

honest to god. not trying ta kiss up to ya, but RTHC is an all time great. won't go into why as i tend to ramble.

i can't remember peoples names but i can remember each theater i've seen every movie i've seen. would consult a shrink but he jus wouldn't get it.

saw it in '62 @ the state theater.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 03:57:15 PM »

I don't know if there's a topic on this yet, but this morning (having been warned five weeks ahead of time by boardwalk_angel on the IMDB  Grin) I was able to watch Peckinpah's first masterpiece and I have just a few things to say.

Wonderful cinematography, and a great cast.  Joel McCrea was wonderful as the straight-laced Judd, but IMO Randolph Scott stole the show.  I did think that Ron Starr as Longtree was an annoying prick, and I wanted him to get wasted.  And the Hammond Bros. were among the most disgusting movie characters I've ever seen.  (Of course, with the likes of Warren Oates, John Davis Chandler, and L.Q. Jones among them, how could they not be?  Wink)  R.G. Armstrong, for some reason, I found hilarious, particular his and McCrea's "Battle of the Bible Phrases" during supper time.  I don't think Armstrong was supposed to be a funny character, but that's how he struck me.

My favorite scene was the marriage "ceremony" in the mining camp's bar.  Wonderful show of how Elsa went very quickly from hopeful optimism about escaping her repressive father to horror at the prospect of marrying into the disgusting, inbred Hammond clan.  Great acting from Mariette Hartley too, especially in this scene.  And the Judge Tolliver character was a real hoot.

The final showdown between Scott and McCrea and the three surviving Hammond Bros. was truly, IMO, one of the best movie climaxes ever.

Also liked noticing all the recurring Peckinpah phrases - "Redneck peckerwood", "I don't need no bath", "Get the ball rolling!" - all three phrases would be used in several other Peckinpah films.

And "I just want to enter my house justified" is certainly one of, if not the, best movie lines of all time.

I'd give it 9/10.  Not as good as "The Wild Bunch", but that's a pretty high bar to reach.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 03:58:52 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 05:47:10 PM »

I'm glad that you were able to catch it..Groggy.
First time I saw this film was in a church...a local Film Society presented it as part of a terrific series of Westerns they were showing weekly..on the BIG SCREEN..amazing evening.
I think the "first act"..from the wonderful..wonderful  opening of McCrea riding down the street to when they ride out for Coarsgold...just might be Peckinpah's sweetest, most poetic...funny..& touching sequence of events, dialogue & images of his career.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 07:38:20 PM »

Gonna be on TCM letterboxed Wednesday night at 8PM Eastern Time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 07:39:50 PM »

On TCM this Wednesday, letterboxed 8PM Eastern Standard Time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »

for my money the best american western not directed by sam peckinpah in the 70's

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 09:42:34 PM »

the best peckinpah ever.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 01:45:02 AM »

well i was refering to liking PG&Btk more, and i'm still up in the air on whether i like cable hogue more... but besides the point, it's a great f-ing western!

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 01:59:46 PM »

TAPE IT... like i did... may be a while till you can get your hands on a widescreen copy.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »

Ride The High Country must be released on dvd immediately. It's just not right.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »

I have a widescreen copy duped off the old out of print laserdisc edition.

I bet that this TCM screening heralds an upcoming DVD release. I've heard that MGM Home Video is planning a "Sam Peckinpah Collection" series for 2006! (Of course, now that Sony owns them there may be a change/delay of some sort, but my fingers are crossed.)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 06:34:09 PM »

I recorded it and watched it the last few days. I wouldn't consider it up there with the Wild Bunch but maybe a notch below it. A good second tier western, not overly melodramatic. How about the bazookas on the saloon madam she in a way sort of reminded me of a bigger Peggy from OUTIA.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 10:05:09 PM »

I wouldn't consider it up there with the Wild Bunch but maybe a notch below it. A good second tier western

Blasphemy!

the final shootout rivals that of a leone western... that 2 minutes alone is worth puting it into the 1st tier.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »

Many years since I saw for the second time the movie. The fact that I liked it both times (and both as an adult) it means it is good. I remember the camel's race, Scott playing the bad, and very little else. But it is surely the Peckinpah I like best together with the Cross of Iron.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM