Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:20:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Will US Region DVD Version Be Released?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will US Region DVD Version Be Released?  (Read 15282 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of OUATIA I do appreciate what an epic movie it is.

"America" is  probably his best movie but it is the hardest to sit through.

At least for me, I am not big on gangster films but even I realize that film is amazing.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:59 AM »

Why on Earth have a restoration division at all then? It's only films older than 20 years that need restoring in the first place. Doesn't make much sense.

It's from an event that happened regarding restoration of Witchfinder General. Apparently after this gentleman participated in the restoration of it he was told that it would never be released and that they won't release DVD's of films over 10 + . I do wonder if that's change now after some stink was kicked up about it.  Sony's restoration dept is much smaller then MGM's. I still worry that we may never see the R1 releases (unless they just plunk them on Blue Ray which would see like the most believable option)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 05:51:20 AM »

"America" is  probably his best movie but it is the hardest to sit through.

At least for me, I am not big on gangster films but even I realize that film is amazing.
Depends what you mean by "best".Maybe alot more time and money went into Leones later movies to make them appear more impressive,artful or whatever but for me the Dollar trilogy is an edge of the seat experience throughout and they never drag or become too over indulgent like the later movies.I prefered it when Leone streamlined the western to cut out all the boring dialogue,women,romance etc  but these are factors he re-injected into the later stuff which to me dilutes the enjoyment somewhat.But sometimes when i'm in the right mood(not that often) i do feel i'm watching something special with OUATIA but i'm sure alot of this is due more to the incredibly moving Morricone soundtrack than anything else which would make even the crappiest of gangster flicks seem good!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »

It's from an event that happened regarding restoration of Witchfinder General.
D'ya mean the one with Vincent Price?-i was so disappointed with his performance and the movie when i finally saw it a some years ago!

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 07:29:51 PM »

I never liked either presentation of WITCHFINDER GENERAL. The "restored" version is so horribly compromised, due to the quality of the new source material, it makes the origional UK cinema version look even nastier and grottier than ever.

I far prefer Michael Reeve's earlier (by a few months) THE SORCORERS, an incredible horror film, a metaphor for the actual experience of making movies, starring Boris Karloff.

One of the most astonishing aspects of WITCHFINDER is that the cinematography is by John Coquillon. His work for Reeves is dreadfull, featuring some of the worst "day for night" shots I've ever seen. And yet... Reeves seems to anticipate some shots from THE WILD BUNCH, shot the following year (WITCHFINDER is often called "a British Western"), and John Coquillon would go on to forge a brilliant partnership with Peckinpah. He shot STRAW DOGS, PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID, THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND and  CROSS OF IRON.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:32:10 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

pat
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 11:46:27 AM »

then why would sony buy mgm if they are not interested in old movies¡!¿ just to own james bond
I gonna get me the region 2
It's from an event that happened regarding restoration of Witchfinder General. Apparently after this gentleman participated in the restoration of it he was told that it would never be released and that they won't release DVD's of films over 10 + . I do wonder if that's change now after some stink was kicked up about it.  Sony's restoration dept is much smaller then MGM's. I still worry that we may never see the R1 releases (unless they just plunk them on Blue Ray which would see like the most believable option)

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »

just to own james bond

It wouldnt surprise me if that was their only intention. After all that is where the money is at.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »

then why would sony buy mgm if they are not interested in old movies¡!¿ just to own james bond
I gonna get me the region 2

I don't know but its an interesting point. I suspect they'll relent though. They'll be idiots not to mine the mgm catelogue.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »

Then again they have been re-releasing their back catelogue but have been removing the widescreen option and pan and scanning them.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »

but have been removing the widescreen option and pan and scanning them.

Butchers. Plain and simple. When will people finally realize widescreen gives you more not less. It angers me over some people's ignorance.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »

Butchers. Plain and simple. When will people finally realize widescreen gives you more not less. It angers me over some people's ignorance.

I watched a a bit of DYS when the Encore Western Channel showed it (fullscreen)...it was painfully diminished to the level of a made for TV movie..simply dreadful.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

I watched a a bit of DYS when the Encore Western Channel showed it (fullscreen)...it was painfully diminished to the level of a made for TV movie..simply dreadful.

I've been waiting for Firecracker to burn me his widescreen copy of DYS but he needs 3 hr writable DVDs.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »

I think the reason is that so when they release the HD versions, sorry Blue Ray versions, of these films they can say 'Only version presented in OAR'

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »

DVD Savant, in his review of John Ford's The Informer DVD, suggests that DYS will be out in R1 by "late fall." He gives no reason why he thinks this is so, but maybe he knows something. You can go to the review here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2013ford.html?___rd=1

Go to the end of The Informer review for the remark about DYS.

BTW, Savant makes the comment because he feels that DYS uses the same situation as described in Ford's film in the flashback material in DYS. There are similarities, of course, but differences too, no? Discussion to follow.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM