Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 02:44:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hell Is for Heroes (1962)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hell Is for Heroes (1962)  (Read 3779 times)
Beebs
« on: June 13, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »

FINALLY, found it. I was in Cincinatti on a crew trip and we went to the mall after a race and I found it.

Steve McQueen plays another stoic, experienced, character. It seems that maybe he had some sort of horrible experience on the field. "You're three days late" "I met a friend"

Maybe the friend was wounded or something to that effect that would traumatize McQueen that would make his stoic and solitary like that.

One of my favorite parts in the movie is the way he tapes his magezines to his rifle.

Just like in The Sand Pebbles, he is shot after a heroic action. Or in this case, before a heroic action as well.

Thoughts....

Tim
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »

One of my favorite McQueen movies.  You can see him perfecting the loner character that he would become famous for.  For me, this movie feels real, unlike a lot of war movies which seem forced. 

The action and tactics all seem realistic, especially the "assault" on the pillbox with McQueen, Coburn, and Kellin.  And I love the ending, it fits perfectly for the tone of the movie and of McQueen's character, Reese.

Beebs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »

Nearly all McQueen movies end sad. Tom Horn is the big one, Sand Pebbles, Bullitt ends sort of sad, Cincinatti Kid: he loses, Never So Few. Only Nevada Smith and The Getaway end happy that I can think of. Papillon is kinda in the middle. I was actually on the verge of tears at the end, so make of that what you will.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:30:30 PM »

really underrated as a war film... one of the best, even if it doesn't go for realism exactly... it's not one of those war expierence movies that most war movies try to be, but it's a great one, might be my favorite non-getaway mcqueen performance(i can't pick anything over doc mccoy)... one of don siegel's best as well.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Beebs
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 09:27:41 PM »

I don't know... Papillon and Sand Pebbles are his best in my opinion.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »

Hell is for Heroes (1961) This gets going only toward the end, with the mission through the mining camp and the attack on the pillbox. But for the rest is quite dull. Bobby Darin tops all the other actors, McQueen and Fess Parker included. 6\10

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:31 AM »

Always liked it a lot. This was a very low-budget film and I think Siegel directed it very well. Fine mood piece. Unusual dark too. Coburn in one of his earlier roles, L.Q. Jones & Harry Guardino, only one woman, Steve is great, offbeat ending - fine film.

Memorabilia from Germany / USA / Spain / France:

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM