Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:40:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Hunting Party (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hunting Party (1971)  (Read 10944 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2006, 10:52:52 PM »

Dir by Don Medford (more of a TV dir did some Twilight Zones, The Rifleman, Untochables, etc., etc.)

Picked up this bloody Almeria shot Western today and watched it, its not bad, and its entertaining, very bloody, as Gene Hackman (Ruger) and his "hunting party" go after Frank Calder (Oliver Reed) and his gang who mistakenly happen to kidnap a woman (Candace Bergen) that they think is the school marm but who in reality is Ruger's wife (for the purpose of teaching Reed to read). Ruger equiped his "party" with scoped 800 yard rifles, and they easily pick off Calder's gang. There are really no good guys in this western and it dose have a SW like ending, no big shootouts though, but lots of carnage, animal gutting, shotgun to the face, etc., etc., definitely not for the squimish among you.

Note to future Western Directors:  This is what modern westerns need more "carnage" less dialog

Forgetable score by Riz Ortolani

Recognized some town landscapes from "The Mercenary" and a lot of the familiar ramblas, the oasis from FAFDM, and also a lot of landscapes that I've not seen before.  If you can pick it up for under $10 is worth a look.

Reed does a very credible job as an outlaw much better and more believeable than Sean Connery's  turn as a scout in Shalako.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »

Hey Joe, where did you get this? I caught it(finally)on cable a couple of years ago apparently uncut as it appeared identical to a fuzzy boot I saw of it. MGM did the remastering job on it I believe so maybe there's a legit disc of it coming(or out now).

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 12:55:34 AM »

Sounds pretty good. I should look into it.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:01:02 AM »

Thanks CJ i'll resurrect the Almost Spaghetti Guide and add Hunting Party on as a "good"

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »

Oddly enough, this was one of the rare group of British westerns shot in that period, including HANNIE CAULDER and SHALAKO and ermm... can't think of any more.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »

Oddly enough, this was one of the rare group of British westerns shot in that period, including HANNIE CAULDER and SHALAKO and ermm... can't think of any more.
I haven't seen Hannie Caulder.Its filmed in Almeria i believe.Juan Miranda can you offer an opinion whether this is good,bad or ugly? Roll Eyes

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:08:01 AM »

I haven't seen Hannie Caulder.Its filmed in Almeria i believe.Juan Miranda can you offer an opinion whether this is good,bad or ugly? Roll Eyes

I've seen Hannie Caulder and it's eh. I would say the movie was bad ( it was ) but seeing Raquel Welch almost completely naked kind of picked up the movie.   Grin

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »

Some cuts regarding the Hunting Party was actually discussed at SWWB some time ago...

I hope the original posters don't mind me quoting the posts (which are long gone from swwb) Tongue

Gunhawk
"The Hunting Party" X Rated?
Sat Apr 8, 2006 7:59PM
When I worked for the Army Motion Picture Service in 1972 we screened a print of "The Hunting Party" that was either X rated or unrated, I've forgotten which, but it was different than the "R" rated print that was in bootleg circulation before the DVD release. The version that I screened was more violent and contained one scene that I distinctly remember as *not* being in the bootleg version.
That scene was of Gene Hackman burning a prostitute's breast with a cigar and it was *graphic*. You could see the cigar pushed against her breast! The "R" rated version shows the two of them together but cut's away just before he actually tortures her and her scream turns into the train whistle. So, has anyone seen this X or unrated version beside me? Is it available anywhere?

Western Afficionado
Re: Holy Smokes!!
Sun Apr 9, 2006 7:17AM

I did a little research on this movie whilst I was working towards my MA thesis, and as far as I can tell (from an article I read in, I believe, Film Quarterly), the version submitted for classification in the UK was longer than the version given an 'R' rating in the US. However, in the UK the BBFC demanded their own cuts, which were different to those required by the MPAA for the 'R' rating, and consequently the version released in UK cinemas was cut but included some footage (e.g. that between Hackman and the prostitute) not included in the 'R' rated print.

The BBC have shown the movie a couple of times in the UK too, and although their print has been cut (for horsefalls mostly, IIRC) the S/M scene between Hackman and the prostitute is longer than that included on the commercially-available DVD.

Western Afficionado
MGM DVD
Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:20AM

I bouoght the MGM DVD, and the scene on the train is definitely shorter than that seen in British prints (however cut they might be in other areas), including the version shown by the BBC.

The bull scene mentioned in one of the posts below is not in the BBC version; along with horsefalls, this was presumably cut according to the 1937 Cinematograph (Animals) Act during its submission to the BBFC.

The bull scene is supposed to have them cut up a bull and eat something from it.

And the version available from VSOM was supposed to have these, but VSOM claims their version doesn't have them. Tongue

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »

I've seen Hannie Caulder and it's eh. I would say the movie was bad ( it was ) but seeing Raquel Welch almost completely naked kind of picked up the movie.   Grin
Thanks Peacemaker- i'll add your verdict to the next guide update Wink

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »

Heres a link where you can see a trailer of Hunting Party.I must say i'm very interested because of the Almerian location but worryingly its looks closer to a damn Peckinpah western than the more classy Italian variety.
http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?title_star=HUNTINGP

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »

Picked it up at FYE a local NY mall store.

warning to our lady members its very misogynistic.

but worryingly its looks closer to a damn Peckinpah western than the more classy Italian variety.

That would be correct, a bit more SP than SW. But at least its more on the fringe than a lot of what we get for a western every once in a while recently.

<spoilers>

Steer or bull is gutted and Reed and gang eat the liver raw.

Chinese prostitute gets off bed where Hackman initially tosses her & she disrobes displaying her breasts. Hackman approaches with a candelabra, and a cigar he grabs her and places the candels near her breasts she slaps them away so Hackman pulls her back onto the bed in the process her dress fall s completely off. So it has some explicit nudity for a few seconds. He then lights the cigar, and it goes out of the frame on the MGM cut but you pretty much know where its going, she screams and it cuts to the train whistle.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:53:33 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »

can you offer an opinion whether this is good,bad or ugly? Roll Eyes

I posted some stills from HANNIE CAULDER here:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3059.msg29661#msg29661

As for the film's other less obvious merits, it's been such a long time since I watched it I really couldn't say. From what I remember it's very much a simple rape revenge story, with some rather queasy and typical of the time attempts at humour. It remains a real curiosity, partly  due to the fact that Christpher Lee also stars as an expert gunslinger, a couple of years before a similar (though less benign role) in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 07:28:56 PM »

As for the film's other less obvious merits, it's been such a long time since I watched it I really couldn't say.

Its "Okay" at best. The ending where she rids of the three men who raped her is a cop out and could have used some more creative methods of disposing of the villains.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 04:10:02 AM »

warning to our lady members its very misogynistic.

Thanks for the warning CJ-Mrs Banjo couldn't handle Chato's Land for the rape content.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 07:12:57 AM »

I thought "Hannie Caulder" was decent.  I didn't like the end showdown with Ernest Borgnine, but other than that it was an entertaining film.  IMO it's worth watching alone for the fact that the three bad guys are Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam, and Strother Martin.  Seriously, the guy who cast this movie is a genius.  Grin

Also, it was (according to Tarantino) one of the primary influences for "Kill Bill", just FYI.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM