Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:46:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Whats with the hats in modern westerns?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats with the hats in modern westerns?  (Read 2326 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2006, 10:04:26 PM »

They seem to be a bit too wide brimmed in a lot of recent westerns, almost harking back to the ten gallon-Tom Mix days, what's up with this? Anybody else notice?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:47:23 PM »

Anybody else notice?

Afraid I havent.
The first hat Clint uses in GBU is much too wide as well (a bit off topic I know but I wanted to know if you noticed).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »

yea its a bit wide in GBU like a plantation owners hat,  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:28:56 AM »

This strikes a chord Cigar, it all comes back to new westerns not being quite right, or maybe they are right but all us real western nuts like the styleish fashions Wayne, Cooper, Lancaster, Eastwood, Bronson and co used to flourish.
These days its all to clean, just look at the sets you can tell the towns are made of new timber just picked up from Homebase and all the outfits are made to measure when was the last time in a new western that you saw dilapidated boots like Tuco's.
The other thing is that the actors these days just do not have the stature and charisma that the boys above had,
you just cannot believe in their roles, where's the above could whisk you away from the banal and mundane into a fantasy time.
John Wayne certainly was not great actor but he could make films that even today we love because he was the MAN, the cowboy we all thought of when we were kids.
Thats why we will always prefer Eastwood to Costner, Bronson to Kilmer and so on.
None of the greats had to say anything to get through a scene where's todays Westerns are packed with gibberish and explanations making the stars of today look like prats.
For me the best new western for a long while was Jack Palance doing the part of Scrooge in Ebenezer (western)
he had the look, the film was dirty low buget stuff but old Jack carried the film he made you believe, and that is the mark of a great actor Oh and his hat in the movie was just fine.
Finally anyone seen that other gem of his with Chevy Chase, Cops and Robertsons I almost had a heart attack with laughing.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:21:58 PM »

John Wayne certainly was not great actor

Disagree. He was very good actor. Better than Eastwood.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »

Better than Eastwood.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Blasphemy!

I'm just kidding, both are great actors. I can never put one over the other when it comes to acting but when it comes to being a human being, I'd pick Eastwood by a long shot. Wayne was too racist and anti-progress, too conservative.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM